Author Topic: DIY LED Express Power Injection  (Read 564 times)

Offline Powelln

• Kudos: 0
DIY LED Express Power Injection
« on: January 19, 2019, 08:49:08 PM »
Hey everyone, last year I purchased a HolidayCoro 36" 270 Node star. I put 270 (duh) WS2811 pixel nodes in it a just ran the star at 30% with no power injection. It worked ok, but this year I'm hoping to power inject the star. I purchased a 3 wire power injection tee also from DIY. When I put the power injection tee about the 200 pixel mark, I lost all the lights from 200 and above.

Is that because the power is on a different pin with a power injection tee? I assumed since power flows both ways, that I should be able to have a fully working 270 node star with the power injection tee inserted in there somewhere?

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
Re: DIY LED Express Power Injection
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:26:02 PM »
I don't have it here, but if you find the wiring diagram for their power injection Ts, you will see that the power from the first 1/2 is disconnected from the last 1/2.  This is great if you are inserting a second power supply and don't want it to fight with the first.  If you are using the same power supply from the first half to the second half, connecting both of the power wires is the way to go.

If someone has that diagram and can put it up, you will see what I'm talking about.  :|
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline neonexpresso

Offline Powelln

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 11:21:03 PM »
That makes sense. When I wired the star, I started with the male end, so in this diagram, if it reads from left to right, it's backwards to my application? This diagram shows female to male in reality it's male to female for me?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 01:36:39 PM »
If you want more power to the star just connect the power leads at the end of the string to the power leads at the start of the string and you should be just fine.  Power flows both ways.  Keep it simple.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline rstehle

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 01:59:27 PM »
I don't use the "Power Injection" style of tees, rather I use the standard ones.  That way I can inject power and have it go both ways on the Pixels. 

Offline Powelln

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2019, 02:44:49 PM »
I gave up on the power tee. I tried a few ways and never got it to work. At one point I thought it was a polarity issue and switched only to blow out pixels. I've replaced the pixels, I'm curious about Jim's idea because still only having one connection to the controller would be nice.
How do you loop power like that back? Take the power and ground leads from the end of the strands and just loop them back in to the power and ground of the beginning? Here in the pacific northwest I need waterproof.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 07:57:54 PM »
How do you loop power like that back? Take the power and ground leads from the end of the strands and just loop them back in to the power and ground of the beginning? Here in the pacific northwest I need waterproof.

You are correct.  I just solder all the appropriate ends of the wire and the pigtail together.  It is just 3 wires togethr for V+ and V-  Only the data goes in just one end.  I am doing this with 2 Boscoyo megaspinners that have 240 pixels each.

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 11:22:23 PM »
I have that star, but lasered out of aluminum. I power injected at start, end, and middle. Just cut the power wires and spliced a 2 wire jumper between +, -, I use glue lined heat shrink for the connections, no water issues. It may be overkill but works great. Just be sure the wire AWG is large enough for your current capacity.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 11:29:23 PM by aknflyer »

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2019, 08:54:14 AM »
I must agree with Jim.  Tie the power and ground on each end to the power and ground coming from the controller.  Input your data to the proper end of the prop.  (If you want to add an output on the other end, have a go.)

All of our mini-trees, singing chromabulbs and spinners are wired this way.  We add a mid-point power connection for our large singing trees. 

Offline Powelln

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2019, 11:07:28 AM »
This worked great, no more flickering or pink pixels on white. Popped a fuse at 100% but it was so pretty. Ha! Thanks everyone for your help. I'm building a mega tree this year and really need to do some research before I start that project. I really don't want to have to deal with power injection but since I haven't bought pixels yet, I may look for the ones with power injection leads already built in to the strand if I can find them.