Author Topic: Will this work  (Read 129 times)

Offline thewinks

• Kudos: 0
Will this work
« on: January 21, 2019, 09:43:32 AM »
I am planning on adding a mega tree next year to enter into the world of pixels.  I plan on running a 16 strand tree with 50 pixels per strand.  I also would like to have a 90 pixel star on top.
I am planning on putting the 800 pixels for the tree off of p1 on the picap and then the 90 for the star off the p2.  Will this work?

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 41
Re: Will this work
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »
Yes but, it it were me.....

I would split them more equally.  Maybe something like strands 1-9 (450 pixels) on p1 and strands 10-16 plus the star (440 pixels) on p2
-Mark

Offline thewinks

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 10:01:55 AM »
That makes sense.  I was under the impression that all the elements needed to be on one port.  I will balance it out.  Thanks.

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 12:34:47 PM »
I would split them more equally.  Maybe something like strands 1-9 (450 pixels) on p1 and strands 10-16 plus the star (440 pixels) on p2

the only thing you may want to keep in mind is you are doing 24 strands so your last strand will end on the ground and then you will have to get that data (without pixels) back up to the tree at the top (assuming you start your first strand at the bottom).  Depending on the height of the tree, you may need to add an f-amp at the end of that last strand to strengthen the data signal to get it up to the star.
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 12:39:46 PM »

the only thing you may want to keep in mind is you are doing 24 strands so your last strand will end on the ground and then you will have to get that data (without pixels) back up to the tree at the top (assuming you start your first strand at the bottom).  Depending on the height of the tree, you may need to add an f-amp at the end of that last strand to strengthen the data signal to get it up to the star.

If he splits it the way I suggested (1-9, 10-16) then the end of each string will be at the top close to the star, not on the ground.  No F-amp needed

Offline mararunr

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
If he splits it the way I suggested (1-9, 10-16) then the end of each string will be at the top close to the star, not on the ground.  No F-amp needed

I had to draw that one on paper.  Now I see it.  9 and 10 both are going up, which, yup, means 16 is going up instead of down.  Very cool.  So do you use individual start channels then for the strings in xLights or does zigzag in the controller still work so that 9 and 10 render correctly since they are going in the same direction?  Sorry.  Just trying to understand the concept more.

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 03:57:16 PM »
There are several ways to do it, just depends on personal preference.   I prefer to do all my zig-zags in the controller.  In xLights just model it as a 16x50 tree with no zigzags since you only do it one place or the other and not both.  He said he was using a PiCap, so this is how I would do it in the PiCap.  This is based on a start channel of 1 - which may need to be adjusted for his particular start channel (change the start channel 1 to the correct start channel and hit F2 twice)

Offline mararunr

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
There are several ways to do it, just depends on personal preference.   I prefer to do all my zig-zags in the controller.  In xLights just model it as a 16x50 tree with no zigzags since you only do it one place or the other and not both.  He said he was using a PiCap, so this is how I would do it in the PiCap.  This is based on a start channel of 1 - which may need to be adjusted for his particular start channel (change the start channel 1 to the correct start channel and hit F2 twice)

Thank you pixelpuppy - I learned something new today (I do every day but I really like learning this).  Much appreciated for adding to the knowledge rolodex.