Author Topic: ArtNet support in Bridge Mode  (Read 320 times)

Offline ericwesley

• Kudos: 0
ArtNet support in Bridge Mode
« on: January 21, 2019, 06:00:37 PM »
Hey y'all!

Would it be possible to add Artnet input support for the FPP in bridge mode? I see lots of output info on the forum, but not anything for input.

Why do you ask? My next project is a DJ facade made out of P10 panels. It will be displaying visual effects from Winamps' AVS. Yes it's ancient and dead... But I absolutely love Winamp as my music player! And AVS is great for dances. Anyway, the size of my P10 screen (a mere 30 panel 6ft x 2.5ft screen) prohibits the use of my lighting software (Lightjams) as it exceeds the current limit of 64 E1.31 Universes. I would like to use VVVV instead of Lightjams if possible, but VVVV currently only supports Artnet.

Is there a way to add Artnet input for bridge mode? Or is there some other way to make Artnet -> P10 possible without using a $100+ Linsin HDMI video card?

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
Re: ArtNet support in Bridge Mode
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:13:14 AM »
"VVVV"?

BTW, as a DJ - you might like the using Colorlight or Linsin instead.  Feeding video has so many uses in a DJ setup.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 08:47:58 AM »
I haven't tried Artnet input into FPP Bridge, but I thought it has been supported for years. It can output Artnet, so maybe I just assumed.

update - turns out Artnet input is not supported. (but DDP is !!!)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 08:26:43 PM by JonB256 »

Offline ericwesley

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 10:33:18 AM »
From the website: "vvvv is a hybrid visual/textual live-programming environment for easy prototyping and development. It is designed to facilitate the handling of large media environments with physical interfaces, real-time motion graphics, audio and video that can interact with many users simultaneously. "

I will likely be using a Colorlight receiving card instead of the Octoscroller or Ron's daughter card. But how I understood it is the Colorlight still requires an FPP to do the protocol translation? The receiving card is $30ish. The transmitting card is still much more than that.

Video has come in handy many times over the years at dances and even weddings. If push comes to shove I may have to go ahead and fork the cash for the TX-RX cards. I'm just afraid the software/hardware won't be able to scale the entire HDMI/DVI video down to 192x80.

I used to run a video screen for a former employer (FPP was used for playback) and it was pixel-for-pixel so all the content had to be scaled and positioned to fit in an exact tiny spot in the video, even though the video was HD. Hence my worry.

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 4
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 12:20:14 PM »
Not as I understand it.  If you are using a sender card along with the receiver card, the sender card is converting video in your computer into a data stream to directly drive the receiving card.  FPP not required.  I have three ColorLight receiver cards, but no sender cards, so only going by what I understand from what others have said.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline ericwesley

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 12:32:20 PM »
You say you have 3 receiving cards, but no sending cards. What are you using to generate the content?

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 12:35:12 PM »
You say you have 3 receiving cards, but no sending cards. What are you using to generate the content?
FPP (in bridge mode).

Offline ericwesley

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 04:07:45 PM »
So you're using the FPP in Bridge Mode to simply send to the panels. But what are you using to create the actual content? I'm guessing a PC? VJ or lighting software? What protocol are you using to communicate to the FPP?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 04:16:12 PM »
I use an FPP (RasPi 3B+) outputting to a single Colorlight board. That particular Pi has a Gigabit output needed to control the Colorlight

BUT

It is not in Bridge Mode. That can't work because the Ethernet port is used by the Colorlight board. The Wireless (wlan0) bandwidth could not reliably handle the amount of data needed to drive many P10 or P5 panels.

Now, I do use Bridge Mode (CAT5 / Ethernet) to control P10 panels connected to a Beaglebone and Octoscroller. That works just fine.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »
So you're using the FPP in Bridge Mode to simply send to the panels. But what are you using to create the actual content? I'm guessing a PC? VJ or lighting software? What protocol are you using to communicate to the FPP?
OK, you were looking for the entire chain.
I am running LOR S5 on a show PC.  One LAN on that computer is on my .131 LAN and the show PC is spitting out E1.31 frames in unicast.  Those packets run through a couple if switches and eventually get to a RaspBerry Pi 3B that is running FPP (using the built in LAN connection on the Pi).  The FPP installation is operating in bridge mode and converting the received E1.31 packets into an Ethernet data stream that the ColorLight receiver card understands.  There is a TrendNet USB to Gigabit Ethernet adapter plugged into the Pi.  The Ethernet connection between the Pi and the ColorLight is via about 8 inches of Cat-5.  The ColorLight receiver card takes the Ethernet data stream from the Pi and in turn drives the P5 or P10 panels.  I have two Tune-To signs.  One is 3W x 2 H P5 panels, and the other is 4W x 3H P10 panels.  Unfortunately due to time issues, only the P10 panel was used this year.  Each Tune-To sign has it's own RaspBerry Pi 3B and ColorLight.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 05:15:53 PM »
It is not in Bridge Mode. That can't work because the Ethernet port is used by the Colorlight board. The Wireless (wlan0) bandwidth could not reliably handle the amount of data needed to drive many P10 or P5 panels.
Jon.  According to comments on this forum, prior to the Pi 3B+ came out, one of the methods people used to control a ColorLight was to run the 10/100 LAN port on a older Pi to a Gigabit capable switch and then one port to the ColorLight.  Additionally people reported that they could use that same LAN connection for receiving E1.31 traffic.  The down side was that the ColorLight traffic then blasted all over your network - but it did work.  I never tried it that way as I went with the USB to GigE adapter.  As a networking guy, I don't like things that blast traffic all over a network for no good reason.
And bridge mode driving a ColorLight receiver card certainly would work with the addition of a second LAN connection on the Pi.
BTW, I do agree with you that WiFi is NOT the way to go.

Offline ericwesley

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 07:23:40 PM »
Whole chain! That's what I was looking for! Thank you for that. I agree with WiFi not being the way to go. I don't even like my DJ & VJ computers communicating over WiFi during events.

So I see you said Unicast E1.31 is the protocol of choice between your show PC and your Pi's set to Bridge Mode. Is it possible to have that as ArtNet instead in Bridge Mode?

I've been racking my brain for days on how to make my LED screen to work but every time I come up with a chain, one piece of software doesn't speak one protocol, or another doesn't support enough this or that. I can provide what ideas I've come up with so far if needed.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 07:32:06 PM »
FPP does not currently support ArtNet input.  It has been on the ToDo list for a while but has been low priority.  We have a ticket open about it and I had planned to look at it when converting bridge mode over to a ChannelInput class similar to what I did with the ChannelOutput classes.  This also has been low priority compared to other things so hasnt been done yet.
-
Chris

Offline ericwesley

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 08:02:19 PM »
Curses! Well, I will keep looking for another solution to my idea. I'm surprised at how difficult this idea has become to implement.

As always, thank you Captain to you and the developers for the amazing Swiss army knife FPP!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2019, 05:26:26 PM »
Curses! Well, I will keep looking for another solution to my idea. I'm surprised at how difficult this idea has become to implement.

For now, you could use OLA https://www.openlighting.org/ola/ running on a Pi to receive ArtNet and translate to E1.31.  If you installed OLA on a FPP system, it could receive ArtNet and transmit the E1.31 back to localhost to be received and processed by FPP.