Author Topic: EDM-RDS  (Read 431 times)

Offline SpringPixel

• Kudos: 0
EDM-RDS
« on: January 16, 2019, 11:11:32 PM »
Received this week new EDM FM Transmitter with RDS.  I have it working with FPP 2.6 Displaying Station ID and Now being played song.  Does anyone know if additional items can be displayed such as Artist or a personal message ie. Happy Holidays from Our Family etc.?  If so HOW?
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:08:34 AM by SpringPixel »

Offline Santacarl

• Kudos: 1
Re: EDM-RDS
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 06:22:52 PM »
Received this week new EDM FM Transmitter with RDS.  I have it working with FPP 2.6 Displaying Station ID and Now being played song.  Does anyone know if additional items can be displayed such as Artist or a personal message ie. Happy Holidays from Our Family etc.?  If so HOW?
Thanks

I'm at the same place you are.....I can display my station call sign but that's all.....  I even contacted the people who build the transmitter in the hopes they might have this 'decoded' with a way to make it work....the referred me here.... Haha...   ;D

Offline Aaron Maue

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:23:11 PM »
The way it used to work (and, I assume, still does) is that the plugin reads the .mp3 tags for the Artist and Song name and transmits them to the EDM RDS transmitter.  Find an .mp3 tag editor (Audacity actually does this - I can't remember what screen/tab it's on but you should be able to hunt around and find it) and add the info to each of your songs.  For some of the "in between" messages like "Merry Christmas" or whatever, I just edited a short, silent .mp3 "song" to include that text in the .mp3 tag.

Offline Santacarl

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 03:23:09 PM »
The way it used to work (and, I assume, still does) is that the plugin reads the .mp3 tags for the Artist and Song name and transmits them to the EDM RDS transmitter.  Find an .mp3 tag editor (Audacity actually does this - I can't remember what screen/tab it's on but you should be able to hunt around and find it) and add the info to each of your songs.  For some of the "in between" messages like "Merry Christmas" or whatever, I just edited a short, silent .mp3 "song" to include that text in the .mp3 tag.

Yeah did that.....installed the plugin...created and installed a cable between the FPP and the transmitter.....but it doesn't seem to transfer the tag to the transmitter......  I gave up after playing with it for several days....  If someone knows how to make it actually function I would appreciate a tutorial or how to......

Offline SpringPixel

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 12:35:16 AM »
Worked on RDS today see screen shots of TinyRDS program of which I used.  Screenshot 1 I used XMAS as Default PS any 8 characters would work. Screenshot 2 is Dynamic PS and I discovered that this would scroll where the default PS is displayed, only on some radios not all support this.  I bought a portable radio with rds capabilities for testing and this worked on that radio but not my car radio, but did not cause any problems on my car radio. Screenshot 3 checked enable left Radiotext messages Blank.  When FPP plays a song this needs to be enabled so that the RDS radio will see the song name. Rest of the screenshots as needed. Here is link of where I started from to do the initial install on FPP https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=8329.0 starting with amdknight user.  Be sure that your mp3's have the Title info correct edit the id-tag if necessary.  I use a program called dbPoweramp to edit mine.  Clicking on the Help button in TinyRDS lower right corner will give some info on what all the items do.

Another Day see Screenshot 8 I found that this works on my car radio and will change the PS every 2 seconds and then back to the Default PS in 2.7 seconds and then starts all over again.  For looks I change the Default PS to station ie. 87.9 FM thought it flowed better, see screenshot 9.  I also think text in lower and upper case looks better than all caps.

If you want to add a message between songs download a 15 second blank mp3 file from here: https://github.com/anars/blank-audio
and edit the id-tag Title with the message you want to display keep it under 60 characters or somewhere in that area.  I tried shorter blank mp3 files but they didn't work, need at least 15 seconds.  I put one between every sequence in FPP by adding media only and select the name of the 15 second blank mp3 file.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 06:52:30 PM by SpringPixel »