Author Topic: Looking for Suggestions  (Read 506 times)

Offline greg

• Kudos: 0
Looking for Suggestions
« on: January 24, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
I am just looking for any suggestions for those of you that may have been faced with this decision.  I am in the process of building 2 new mega trees, 16 strands 50 pixels each (zigzag) they are about 15 feet apart.  Most likely these will not change in the upcoming years.  I am trying to make up a plan for purchases this year as the CFO (aka the wife) has me on a tighter budget.  Here are some options I have been kicking around.  Option 1 Two separate F16's one for each tree, I like this option but think it would be a little overkill.  Option 2 two separate F4's one for each tree, using power injection. Option 3 one F16 split between the both trees. A 4th option would be the new F48 with multiple receivers at each location, this would also provide for some other props that have yet to be built.

Open for any suggestions.
Thanks

Offline robbiet

Re: Looking for Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 11:48:58 AM »
How about one central F16 with a differential receiver for each tree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline robbiet

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:51:34 AM »
...or the F48. Option 3 or 4 make sense...depends on where you have your props located in relation to the controller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »
So just considering your two trees and not knowing what else you have I would suggest one F4.  You can run 800 pixesl (one tree) off 1 port (with power injection) so that would leave you two additional ports for other things and the dmx ports for AC lights or whatever else you have.  But even that is not the cheapest option.  The cheapest would be a raspberry Pi ($30) with picap ($35) - that's two ports (one for each tree) and still one dmx port for AC lights.  So, for $65, the CEO can approve the controller piece for your two trees :-)   Hope this helps.
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
Your future pans would make a difference on the route you take. A F16 with expansion board and differential receivers would work and allow you some additional props without having to buy an additional board right now.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline greg

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 12:44:51 PM »
Thanks for the good suggestions.  Still kicking things around  a bit on paper.  May be leaning toward the F4 right now, but yes trying to see what future plans are are a bit tough.  My wife always seems to make suggestions.. Well since she backs with funding she has a pretty strong say ;D .  One option would be two differential boards for each tree, seeing I already have a f16 with a sitting only 15 feet away I may try to squeeze a few more pixels out of it.

Offline mararunr

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 01:08:45 PM »
You can also just use Cat5/6 from a port on the existing F16 and you will easily get 50 feet, so plenty of distance to get the data and then just inject power at the tree (no additional controller purchase if you have the available ports or can reconfigure two existing ports to free them up) - no differential boards needed.  Just another suggestion.  Trying to help with keeping cost down since that seems to be a priority (and completely understand that).

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 07:02:25 PM »
Thanks for the good suggestions.  Still kicking things around  a bit on paper.  May be leaning toward the F4 right now, but yes trying to see what future plans are are a bit tough.  My wife always seems to make suggestions.. Well since she backs with funding she has a pretty strong say ;D .  One option would be two differential boards for each tree, seeing I already have a f16 with a sitting only 15 feet away I may try to squeeze a few more pixels out of it.

I've found when it comes to my Christmas stuff....it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission.  :)

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 09:11:22 AM »
How many lights are you running off of your F16 now? If it is only 15 feet away, and you have 2 ports available, then you can just run the trees directly to the F16. If you don't have 2 ports available, you might be able to combine what you are currently running on several ports. Another option would be to just add a Differential Receiver for one of the trees ($17.00). It sounds like you can accomplish this without much additional controller expense.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline evomotors

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 10:13:53 AM »
The cheapest will be to use WeMo D1 Mini boards with ESPixelStick firmware. It will cost you about $5 each and can drive around 680 pixels.

Offline mararunr

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 11:37:02 AM »
The cheapest will be to use WeMo D1 Mini boards with ESPixelStick firmware. It will cost you about $5 each and can drive around 680 pixels.

Will the WeMo D1 still need something else sending instructions to it?  The $5 PiZeroW is all in one/self-contained (with FPP) and can drive 1,800 pixels.  Either way, there are multiple low cost options vs. buying a full controller.

Offline evomotors

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 12:15:42 PM »
WeMo D1 Mini (flashed ESPixelStick firmware) is controlled by FPP as any other E1.31 pixel controller. I have over 3500 pixels connected to multiple WeMo's and controlled by Falcon Player.
Each prop in my setup has it's own D1 Mini (except mega tree has 3) and small power supply. So I only need to connect electrical cord to each prop and nothing else. PiZeroW is another option, but I like to have only one FPP to control the show.

EDIT:
I used to use Vixen 3 to control the show but this year will be switching to Falcon Player on Beaglebone Black Wireless. FPP is installed and works fine with all my WeMo D1 Mini controllers
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 12:22:18 PM by evomotors »