Author Topic: PICap NO Data?  (Read 183 times)

Offline Art Boyle

• Kudos: 0
PICap NO Data?
« on: January 26, 2019, 12:40:59 PM »
I have a PI 3B+ that I used to power LOR and Pixel controllers this Christmas.  I decided to purchase a PiCap and have it connected.  I connected a meanwell 12 v power supply to the Picap and have connected 50 string pixels to Output 2 on the PiCap.   I am running version 2.5. on My FPP.  I still have my LOR and My Alphapix16 controllers configured in the FPP web based software.

I have 2 issues:
1. ON the Status tab of the FPP it continues to show my FPP in standalone mode and it displays "Stopped"  However my Pi cap has a green power light and my PI has a red light at the power and my USB drive shows that its getting power as well.  I have it on an Ethernet connection to my laptop currently. 
When I try to restart the FPP the Program will disconnect and come back up when the FPP reboots?
2.  When I try to test my lights nothing happens.  Actually they are lit up Blue like it is not receiving any data?

I am new to this and don't know a lot, so if the solution is simple please be kind!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: PICap NO Data?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 12:59:26 PM »
First, I think you are having a similar problem I had with a 3B+ being powered from the PiCap. It runs into "undervoltage" problems frequently. You can see it in the log files. The 12v to 5v regulator is enough for a 3B but struggles with a 3B+

You can change the regulator (not easy because they used non-lead solder during manufacture and it is much harder to desolder)

or, what I did was to run the 3B+ from its own supply and the PiCap from 12vdc. (you remove the jumpers to isolate the PiCap).
Note that you probably won't have this problem if you are running 5vdc pixels on the PiCap because that regulator is out of circuit due to jumper changes.

I also put my PiCaps on the 3B's that I had. Then, no problem.