Author Topic: P10 panel flickering  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Cjaqua

• Kudos: 2
Re: P10 panel flickering
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 06:47:40 PM »
Just ordered a Beaglebone Black Rev C from Amazon and a BBB Matrix from Renard Shop. I noticed there are 2 different files for FPP to download. One says FPP-v2.5-BBB-ext4.zip and the other FPP-v2.5-BBB-btrfs.zip. Which one do I use?

Most people use the ext4 one. I doubt there will be much need for the btrfs one anymore with the new sparse FSEQ files.

Offline pmiller

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 06:50:38 PM »
Thank you. I hope this solves my problem. I'll get the Beaglebone tomorrow but don't expect the cap until Monday. Thank you for all the help.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 07:10:05 AM »
I had posted a few times about "how much better" the BBB/Octo combination worked for panels but got pushback from the many people using the PiCap combo. Yes, it has worked for some. I even have a few (retired) that worked with older P10 panels, but the newest ones (panels) being sold seem to have fussier timing and flicker like you are experiencing. The Beagle family just works better for this.

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 4
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 09:19:52 AM »
The Pi's are such a horrible way to drive panels. 
<snip>
Of the 3 methods we have for driving panels, a Pi hat is by far the worst.
I assume that you are considering the three to be: Pi with a matrix PiHat, BB with Octoscroller, and Pi driving a ColorLight.  Would you agree that the order I listed is worst to best as has been suggested by some others?
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 81
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 09:35:26 AM »
I assume that you are considering the three to be: Pi with a matrix PiHat, BB with Octoscroller, and Pi driving a ColorLight.  Would you agree that the order I listed is worst to best as has been suggested by some others?

For the most part yes.   However, BBB with Octo/Pocket and ColorLight are VERY close (assuming set gamma to 2.2, I need to make that the default) with the ColorLight taking a very slight edge, particularly if driving more than 10 P10's or 4 P5's per output.   Thus, choosing between the two can be start bringing in other considerations:  for one, the ColorLight/Pi combo is quite a bit more complex to setup, particularly if you are a Mac/Linux user where there is no way to configure it natively.   The colorlight card is another possible failure point.     Basically, the BBB is "close enough" to the colorlight output that in most cases, the simplicity out weighs the colorlight advantages.
Dan Kulp

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2019, 12:30:27 PM »
For the most part yes.   However, BBB with Octo/Pocket and ColorLight are VERY close (assuming set gamma to 2.2, I need to make that the default) with the ColorLight taking a very slight edge, particularly if driving more than 10 P10's or 4 P5's per output.   Thus, choosing between the two can be start bringing in other considerations:  for one, the ColorLight/Pi combo is quite a bit more complex to setup, particularly if you are a Mac/Linux user where there is no way to configure it natively.   The colorlight card is another possible failure point.     Basically, the BBB is "close enough" to the colorlight output that in most cases, the simplicity out weighs the colorlight advantages.
Thanks for the answer.  That answered some questions I had.  Realizing that I started down the P10 road with the Pi because that's what enough people were recommending and the Pi is quite a bit less expensive than a BBB.  Therefore, adding the ColorLight was a natural progression.  I will completely agree that configuration is far more of a pain in the backside with the ColorLight (even if you are a PC user).  I view a lot of this as a learning experience, so I may invest in a BB based system for one of my panels.  I have both the P5 and P10 arrays hanging in my family room so it's easy to experiment.
From a cost standpoint, although the BBB is quite a bit more expensive than a Pi 3B, a matrix cape is quite a bit less than a ColorLight, so between the Pi & ColorLight vs a BBB & matrix cape, it's almost a wash.
I am curious about one thing on the matrix capes from various sources.  Most have a single 74LS245 or 74LVC245 (and yes, I saw AAH's warning about the LVC), but the the http://renard-shop.com/home/60-octoscroller-cape.html version has nine unspecified chips.  Why the difference?  I would speculate that they add a buffer for each output, but that's just a guess...

Offline dkulp

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2019, 12:37:01 PM »
Yea.. It's a buffer for each pin.   The advantage is that it protects the BBB pin from any surge or whatever.  It also should allow for slightly longer cables.   For the most part, not needed though.

Offline pmiller

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 12:40:30 PM »
I read somewhere that the BBB shouldn't get its power from the cap. Does that still apply?

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2019, 02:13:41 PM »
I read somewhere that the BBB shouldn't get its power from the cap. Does that still apply?
I seem to recall hearing that about the Ras Pi, but not about the BB - but I could be wrong...
Well, I just bit the bullet and am gonna learn about P10 panels on a BeagleBone.  Have the BBB and Renard cape on order...  More learning (but that's ALWAYS a good thing)  ;D

Offline pmiller

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2019, 02:24:44 PM »
K6ccc, Dean is a great guy. Hopefully he shipped mine today although I haven't got a notification.  The first order I placed was for 2 caps and I sent email stating I only wanted 1. I went to the customer page and noticed he cancel the order or 2 so I went back in and placed another order. The BBB will be here tomorrow. Hold on. Just got notified cap shipped. Nice.

Offline pmiller

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 02:48:02 PM »
Took me awhile to find the comment about powering the BBB and cap. Comment was made by jnealand here: https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=5542.0
I'm still looking to find exactly which is the best way to power the BBB and cap. Don't know why I just can't use the power from the supply to the cap which I assume is where the BBB gets its power, much like the cap for the Pi.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 02:54:59 PM »
I'm still looking to find exactly which is the best way to power the BBB and cap. Don't know why I just can't use the power from the supply to the cap which I assume is where the BBB gets its power, much like the cap for the Pi.
My recollection about the Pi was that powering the Pi from the Pi-Hat supplies power to the Pi to a point downstream of the on board power fuse.  Powering the Pi from the external power connector runs power through the on board fuse.  I may be remembering that wrong however.  Note that on both of my Pi 3Bs, I am powering them via a matrix Pi-Hat (in fact when using the ColorLight, that is the only thing that the Hat is doing).  The BBB & cape may have the same issue.

I could be full of smelly stuff too...

Offline dkulp

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »
No idea.. I always power all my BBB's via whatever cape is on it. 

Offline pmiller

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »
No idea.. I always power all my BBB's via whatever cape is on it.

I kinda thought that was the route to go since I couldn't find anyw real info on powering any different.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2019, 03:25:15 PM »
Two things - I have two of those Octoscrollers with the 9 extra buffer chips. (one remains in kit form)
It ran a 5x4 panel all thru Christmas, right next to an older Octoscroller with 5x4 panels.
Couldn't tell them apart. In fact, I thought it was the one on the left but it was the one on the right. Didn't know until I took them down.
Lots of extra soldering. No benefit.

Also concerning power to the BBB/Octo and P10s.  The actual panels must be powered before or simultaneously with the BBB/Octoscroller (and probably RasPi, too) because if they aren't, they will pull too much current from their ribbon cables and the BBB will NOT boot. So if you have separate power supplies, always power the panels FIRST or same time.