Author Topic: P10 panel flickering  (Read 1624 times)

Offline pmiller

• Kudos: 1
Re: P10 panel flickering
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2019, 04:16:38 PM »
Two things - I have two of those Octoscrollers with the 9 extra buffer chips. (one remains in kit form)
It ran a 5x4 panel all thru Christmas, right next to an older Octoscroller with 5x4 panels.
Couldn't tell them apart. In fact, I thought it was the one on the left but it was the one on the right. Didn't know until I took them down.
Lots of extra soldering. No benefit.

Also concerning power to the BBB/Octo and P10s.  The actual panels must be powered before or simultaneously with the BBB/Octoscroller (and probably RasPi, too) because if they aren't, they will pull too much current from their ribbon cables and the BBB will NOT boot. So if you have separate power supplies, always power the panels FIRST or same time.

The BBB and the Octo will be powered at the same time. Besides, I never shut it off the entire season. They will be getting power from the same power supply.

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 6
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2019, 06:32:16 PM »
Same here.  Large feed from power supply to a distro board on the back of the panel.  Six outputs for the panels, one for the Pi, and one for the ColorLight card.

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline pmiller

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2019, 06:51:29 PM »
Dkulp. I was going to ask about SD or eMMC but I found a post you made back on December 22, 2015 about using the SD because if anything goes wrong just take the card out and insert a new one all ready to go.

Offline pmiller

« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2019, 11:53:19 AM »
Got my BBB today and it's running with 2.5.3. Got to upgrade to 2.6. Boots a heck of a lot slower than the Pi and HDMI isn't working. Guess there's really no need for HDMI other than trouble shooting. Now, just have to wait for the cap.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 95
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2019, 06:22:40 PM »
Got my BBB today and it's running with 2.5.3. Got to upgrade to 2.6. Boots a heck of a lot slower than the Pi and HDMI isn't working. Guess there's really no need for HDMI other than trouble shooting. Now, just have to wait for the cap.

We disable HDMI on the BBB's.   If enabled, it consumes something like 16 or 18 pins, it's a bunch.

Offline pmiller

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2019, 06:27:41 PM »

We disable HDMI on the BBB's.   If enabled, it consumes something like 16 or 18 pins, it's a bunch.

Yikes! It's really not needed. I used Fling to get the IP address. Just wish I had my cap.

Offline pmiller

« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2019, 02:50:08 PM »
Received Ron's BBB Matrix today and assembled it. Did the pretest before installing chips and it doesn't work. I have 5 volts going in but pin 1 of all the chips reads zero. I read 5 volts on both sides of the PTC so I know voltage is getting to the board. Went through and resoldered everything and still doesn't work. Pin 10, which is ground, does measure 5 volts to positive in. I have an excellent magnifier and there are no solder bridges or loose solder. Unfamiliar with this board so not sure where to go from here. Not in a good mood right now. Very frustrating.

Offline Stormyblade

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2019, 03:01:04 PM »
I assume that you are considering the three to be: Pi with a matrix PiHat, BB with Octoscroller, and Pi driving a ColorLight.  Would you agree that the order I listed is worst to best as has been suggested by some others?

For the most part yes.   However, BBB with Octo/Pocket and ColorLight are VERY close (assuming set gamma to 2.2, I need to make that the default) with the ColorLight taking a very slight edge, particularly if driving more than 10 P10's or 4 P5's per output.   Thus, choosing between the two can be start bringing in other considerations:  for one, the ColorLight/Pi combo is quite a bit more complex to setup, particularly if you are a Mac/Linux user where there is no way to configure it natively.   The colorlight card is another possible failure point.     Basically, the BBB is "close enough" to the colorlight output that in most cases, the simplicity out weighs the colorlight advantages.

Not trying to de-rail or re-route this thread in any way, but I am really hoping the above works out for me. I'm keeping the BBB/Octo and "upgrading" my 4x5 P10 to a 4x5 P5 setup.

Offline pmiller

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2019, 04:54:34 PM »
Got it running. What the directions fail to add was attaching the cap to the BBB. Would have helped a lot to know that. Might want to add that in the instructions. And guess what? No flickering. Wasn't sure what scan to set the panels at so I set it to 1/8. I got the panels from DIYLEDEXPRESS a couple of years ago. The only other thing I might do is re-orient the panels so I can use 4 outputs instead of 2. It's a 4x4 panel so each row can use an output which may be more efficient. 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:01:29 PM by pmiller »

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 95
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2019, 05:16:47 PM »
Got it running. What the directions fail to add was attaching the cap to the BBB. Would have helped a lot to know that. Might want to add that in the instructions. And guess what? No flickering. Wasn't sure what scan to set the panels at so I set it to 1/8. I got the panels from DIYLEDEXPRESS a couple of years ago. The only other thing I might do is re-orient the panels so I can use 4 outputs instead of 2. It's a 4x4 panel so each row can use an output which may be more efficient.

If you can, definitely re-orient.   You'd get much higher refresh rates (nearly double) and a little brighter. (although I doubt you need the extra brightness.  Generally not needed with the night time shows we tend to do).   You could go crazy and try to go to all 8 outputs (2 panels per output), but the difference between 4 and 2 per output isn't that dramatic, partially because we have to start throttling around 3 panels to avoid outputting stuff too fast for many of the newer panels.   

Offline pmiller

« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2019, 05:27:48 PM »

If you can, definitely re-orient.   You'd get much higher refresh rates (nearly double) and a little brighter. (although I doubt you need the extra brightness.  Generally not needed with the night time shows we tend to do).   You could go crazy and try to go to all 8 outputs (2 panels per output), but the difference between 4 and 2 per output isn't that dramatic, partially because we have to start throttling around 3 panels to avoid outputting stuff too fast for many of the newer panels.

Easy to re-orient. The bottom 4 panels are arrow down. The 2nd row is arrow up. Row 3 is arrow down. Row 4 is arrow up. I'll just turn rows 2 and 4 so they are down and then the inputs will then be on the same side as rows 1 and 3. So each row of 4 will have it's own output.

Offline TxBillbr

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2019, 07:21:28 PM »
Nevermind.

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
I got my BBB today.  I didn't try to hook up anything to the HDMI, but damn it is slower to boot than the Pi!  Expanded the file system on the SD card and updated to 2.6.  Looking good so far.  Like pmiller a few days, now I need my Cape to arrive.  Supposed to arrive at work tomorrow.  Unfortunately it was shipped USPS, so once it arrives at the mail room, it will be anywhere from two hours to three days to get it the hundred yards across the campus.  Prefer UPS or Fedex as those come right to us...

Offline pmiller

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2019, 12:28:36 AM »
I got my BBB today.  I didn't try to hook up anything to the HDMI, but damn it is slower to boot than the Pi!  Expanded the file system on the SD card and updated to 2.6.  Looking good so far.  Like pmiller a few days, now I need my Cape to arrive.  Supposed to arrive at work tomorrow.  Unfortunately it was shipped USPS, so once it arrives at the mail room, it will be anywhere from two hours to three days to get it the hundred yards across the campus.  Prefer UPS or Fedex as those come right to us...

Mine was shipped Friday and got it today. Install cap on BBB when you make voltage checks. If pin 1 reads 5 volts on all chips then install the chips. Darn instructions don't tell you to install the cap on the BBB. Frustrated me for hours and then I said what the hell, I'll install the cap and see what happens. All pin 1's read 5 volts so I installed the chips. I agree, the BBB takes 4-5 times longer to boot but at least my flickering is gone. As dkulp said, HDMI had been disabled because it took up too many pins on the BBB. I used Fling to get the ip address which was 192.168.1.124 and changed to static 192.168.1.239

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2019, 08:13:22 AM »
Mine was shipped Friday and got it today. Install cap on BBB when you make voltage checks. If pin 1 reads 5 volts on all chips then install the chips. Darn instructions don't tell you to install the cap on the BBB. Frustrated me for hours and then I said what the hell, I'll install the cap and see what happens. All pin 1's read 5 volts so I installed the chips.
That just sounds amazingly wrong.  I read that the first time you said it, and thought I must have misread it as it does not make much sense.  However, you are confirming it.  We'll see what mine does when I get it (maybe today).
I used Fling to get the ip address which was 192.168.1.124 and changed to static 192.168.1.239
I just connected to the router on that LAN (which serves as my DHCP server) to get the initial IP.  Then set a DHCP reservation in the router so the BBB will always get the same IP.