Author Topic: [COMPLETE][GROUP BUY] BeagleBone/PocketBeagle based controllers  (Read 26676 times)

Offline Dennismz51

• Kudos: 0
Re: [GROUP BUY] BeagleBone/PocketBeagle based controllers
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2019, 07:30:52 AM »
Dan
One of my new F8-B boards seems to work fine, on the other board, the OLED will not work, Ive tried 3 different displays that all work on the good board with no luck. Ive also seen another issue with FPP 2.7, the cape type does not show up in IE 10, it works fine on Microsoft Edge. Any suggestions?

Can you pull the RTC battery and see if the OLED works?   Someone else just reported that I put the battery in upside down which resulted in the same symptoms.  Once the battery was removed, everything worked.

Dan
Looks like I have other issues, the cape is fine, works with one of my BBB, but wont work on the other 2. Also, one of the BBBs that it wont work on, I get the message FPP is stopped onthe status page with no time present even though Im hooked to the internet and have network time enabled. When I try to restart FPP, the BBB hangs up, does this with and without the cape installed. This BBB was upgraded from 2.6,  not from a fresh image.

Thanks

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »
I has FPP Stopped a couple times while testing.  One correction was just to click start FPPD, the other wouldn't work with that so I did a manual update...that fixed the second one.  Re-imaging to 2.7 and reloading from scratch works best.

Offline Dennismz51

« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2019, 12:29:09 PM »
Looks like my BBB didn't like the new image, re-installed and all looks like it's working again, 3rd time was the charm.

Dennis

Offline Dennismz51

« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2019, 01:18:01 PM »
Things I learned installing FPP 2.7, It has problems installing if a cape is installed onthe BBB, many things didnt work correctly. Make all the basic changes before you install a cape, i.e. network settings, expand memory, and anything else. I had issues with the OLED display, the RTC and a WIFI dongle, after a clean install without the cape and doing all the setup, plugged in the F8-B and all worked the 1st time, OLED, RTC self detected and the F8-B was detected, previously had issues with all of them. May not be the correct way, but it worked for me.

Dennis

Offline critic2

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »
I had issues with one of my F8-B+ when I tried to upgrade from v2.6 Only when I did a fresh install of v2.7 and followed what Dennis mentioned about setting the network and clock before attaching the cape then all worked well.
On the kernel 4.14.71-bone17, OSBuild v2.2, the Temp2: and VIN: would not display anything but 0.0
On the kernel 4.14.109-bone21, OSBuild v2.7, all the displays are active with proper readings.

The OLED blanks out after a few minutes. Is there a setting to have it display constantly?

Dan, these are great boards. Thank you for the extra features with this group buy.

Chuck P
Still Learning...💡

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2019, 08:49:10 PM »
I had issues with one of my F8-B+ when I tried to upgrade from v2.6 Only when I did a fresh install of v2.7 and followed what Dennis mentioned about setting the network and clock before attaching the cape then all worked well.
On the kernel 4.14.71-bone17, OSBuild v2.2, the Temp2: and VIN: would not display anything but 0.0
On the kernel 4.14.109-bone21, OSBuild v2.7, all the displays are active with proper readings.

The OLED blanks out after a few minutes. Is there a setting to have it display constantly?

The older FPP builds had the analog inputs disabled as nothing used them up till now.   Thus, the new 2.7 image is needed for those to work.  Alternatively, you can edit the /boot/uEnv.txt file to comment out the disable_uboot_overlay_adc line.    Probably could attempt a config level update to change that.  Didn't think about it.

The OLED blanks out to avoid burn in.   If it displays the same data, it will suffer from burn in within about 6 months.   You can turn on the display again by hitting either of the buttons. 

Offline critic2

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2019, 09:17:56 PM »

The OLED blanks out to avoid burn in.   If it displays the same data, it will suffer from burn in within about 6 months.   You can turn on the display again by hitting either of the buttons.

I forgot about burn in with OLED. Pixel shift could solve that but I dont need the display on all the time anyway. Thanks.

Online dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #112 on: May 17, 2019, 01:23:01 PM »

Just to let you all know, I shipped the last orders today.  Thus, if anyone has NOT received their order by Tuesday, please let me know.   

If you missed out on the group buy, all the boards are now available in my store:  https://kulplights.com

Offline aclarksr

Re: [COMPLETE][GROUP BUY] BeagleBone/PocketBeagle based controllers
« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »

Thank you Dan youre the greatest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kockie

« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2019, 01:02:41 AM »
Mine has cleared customs last night after arriving in the Netherlands on Monday.... I think customs has been looking for some suspicious material in the package.  8) I hope it will arrive next Monday.
Errors above are made for entertaining readers only

English is not my native language.

Offline aclarksr

« Reply #115 on: May 30, 2019, 05:33:46 PM »
Thanks for that...

Other stuff:

Buck/Power:    MEZD71202A-G
RJ45 - 380-1050-ND
Capacitor: P15810CT-ND
Resistor networks: 268-100-RC

Then 4x generic 0.1uF disc capacitors, a 6mm push button (optional).   All the ICs could be socketed, but thats up to you.

Dan,

Do you have a part number for C5?

Thanks

Online dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #116 on: May 30, 2019, 06:24:00 PM »
Capacitor: P15810CT-ND

Do you have a part number for C5?

Isn't C5 the electrolytic capacitors mentioned above?    Really, it's optional as the buck itself does have the capacitors on it that it needs, but it's likely nice to have to keep the power a little cleaner.

Offline aclarksr

[COMPLETE][GROUP BUY] BeagleBone/PocketBeagle based controllers
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2019, 06:27:52 PM »
The electrolytic is C6. C5 looks like another ceramic cap but is labeled 33uf. Is it supposed to be 0.33uf? I cant find 33uf ceramic, I did find 33uf tantalum caps.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 06:54:49 PM by aclarksr »

Online dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2019, 07:03:31 PM »
The electrolytic is C6. C5 looks like another ceramic cap but is labeled 33uf. Is it supposed to be 0.33uf? I cant find 33uf ceramic, I did find 33uf tantalum caps.

Oh... Leave it blank.  I removed it from the actual F8-B v1's (which is why C6 became C5).   It's not needed.   If you DO want something there, the 0.33uF is likely the right thing.

Dan