Author Topic: Sequence to Background  (Read 332 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 197
Re: Sequence to Background
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 11:24:21 PM »
I made a note in my ToDo list and if Dan doesn't see this and take care of it soon, I will get a fix into FPP and the xLights copy of FSEQFile.cpp as well.
-
Chris

Offline gc2016

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 07:17:24 AM »
Thanks! Is this a ticket to be opened up with Vixen as well?

I don't know who controls the sequence or effect "spec" or if  the format is more generated by a general agreement by the community.

If a ticket needs to be opened up for Vixen, I can certainly do that.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 09:42:36 AM »
Thanks! Is this a ticket to be opened up with Vixen as well?

I don't know who controls the sequence or effect "spec" or if  the format is more generated by a general agreement by the community.

If a ticket needs to be opened up for Vixen, I can certainly do that.

Yes, open a ticket with the Vixen guys.  David Pitts created the spec for the Falcon Player back in 2013 after an ole discussion with the community.  Support was added to xLights and Vixen and xLights eventually switched to using the FSEQ as its native format because of the efficiency of the file format and probably also because a lot of xLights users use FPP including some of the xLights developers.

Dan works on both FPP and xLights and recently added the FSEQ v2 format along with the C++ class which is shared by both FPP and xLights.  I believe Vixen is written in C though so it currently cant benefit from using the class.

Offline gc2016

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 12:16:54 PM »
I should perhaps get (a lot) better with xLights. I have opened a ticket with the Vixen team, and I'll update as I learn more.

Offline gc2016

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 12:54:51 PM »
I got a quick question from Vixen on this, which was that they expected the eseq format to be deprecated, and that I should be using the v2 format. I think I am generating v2 format files in Vixen correctly, but they are not play as effects.

Is the ability to rename fesq files to eseq files a future enhancement, or something I should be able to do on 2.6 right now?

From earlier:
I think that the code Dan has already added will let you rename a FSEQv2 file to .eseq and FPP will play it as an effect.

I think I have followed the steps to create a FSEQv2 file, renaming it, and it is not playing as an effect. I do not get any light activity. If this is unexpected behavior, I'd be happy to help track it down. (I could start a separate thread or do an issue in github)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 01:06:00 PM by gc2016 »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 05:10:03 PM »
FPP supports renaming a .fseq to .eseq and playing it, but since the .fseq probably contains a large number of channels, it won't look like a .eseq effect really.  When you save a v2 effect from xLights, it generates a file which has only the needed number of channels in it, so it plays as you would expect a .eseq to play.

The .eseq format will be deprecated, but any new effect sequences generated as a v2 .fseq will need to have only the needed channel numbers in them that the .eseq would have had.  This is one of the nice things about the new sparse support in v2 FSEQ, it replaces the need for the ESEQ format which was basically the same thing since it contained a subset of channels.

I didn't realize that Vixen was creating v2 format FSEQ files already.  When did they add that ability?

Offline gc2016

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2019, 07:10:54 PM »
They're not supporting v2 FSEQ files yet, and while I am sympathetic that they'd want to focus on the v2 FESQ format, it does leave me in a place where my custom code can help tide people over. I do run these effects generated in Vixen 1.9 without having to update the start channel in the file. 

I do have my workaround, though, so I can get things to work. The code was simple, especially with some guidance about the format.

Offline gc2016

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2019, 07:43:51 PM »
I'm not sure if this is any help, but I do see this in the 1.10 branch, effects.c lines 262-265:

Code: [Select]
   effects[effectID] = (FPPeffect*)malloc(sizeof(FPPeffect));
   effects[effectID]->name = strdup(effectName);
   effects[effectID]->fp = fp;
   effects[effectID]->startChannel = (startChannel >= 1) ? startChannel : 1;

This looks to check to see if the start channel is >= 1 and if not set it to 1. This might explain why the Vixen effects work in 1.10 without modification.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2019, 08:41:44 PM »
I'm not sure if this is any help, but I do see this in the 1.10 branch, effects.c lines 262-265:

Code: [Select]
   effects[effectID] = (FPPeffect*)malloc(sizeof(FPPeffect));
   effects[effectID]->name = strdup(effectName);
   effects[effectID]->fp = fp;
   effects[effectID]->startChannel = (startChannel >= 1) ? startChannel : 1;

This looks to check to see if the start channel is >= 1 and if not set it to 1. This might explain why the Vixen effects work in 1.10 without modification.

Correct, that's the exact thing I'm talking about changing in the FSEQFile class.

Offline gc2016

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2019, 12:10:36 PM »
I see you have the fix in master, thanks!

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2019, 01:18:44 PM »
Dan put in a fix. :)

Offline gc2016

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
Unfortunately, I've been too busy with the day job and trying to get the environment to work. I figure if I can figure out a workflow and stay there, I can probably fix a few of the FIXME things that I see in the code. and do pull requests.  Most of my work with github I'm the repository owner, so its a workflow I'm not used to. But, I'm manually putting the fix in my controller and seeing if it works for me.