Author Topic: F16V3 Serial port question  (Read 247 times)

Offline Reys Dad

• Kudos: 1
F16V3 Serial port question
« on: February 05, 2019, 12:35:25 AM »
I currently have a F16V3 with one differential expansion card installed. All 4 ports on the differential expansion card are full and I need one more. I don't have room to add a second differential expansion card in my enclosure. I understand I can connect 1 differential receiver to serial port 1 and run all four ports on that differential receiver card from that serial port using pixel data. I also read where you can set the F16V3 to 2 diff expansion boards so it doesn't duplicate any existing pixel ports. That seems pretty straight forward except that I also have a LOR board plugged into Serial port 2.

So my question is since there are only 4 serial circuits available and one is already being used by LOR for DMX data does that mean I'm going to lose a pixel port on my diff receiver hooked up to serial output 1 or will I be ok? I'm worried this setup will cause the LOR data and one port the differential receiver to interfere with each others output data.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 66
Re: F16V3 Serial port question
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:49:21 AM »
I can't answer your question, but these kind of posts make me wonder why folks put so much of a burden on a single controller,  Not from a power to do the job standpoint, but having a single point of failure for so big a part of a show.  I would be buying another controller or maybe at least just a PiCap to run the LOR stuff.  Just my 2 cents.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Online k6ccc

• Kudos: 4
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 10:29:16 AM »
I can't answer your question, but these kind of posts make me wonder why folks put so much of a burden on a single controller,  Not from a power to do the job standpoint, but having a single point of failure for so big a part of a show.
+1 !
I have a SanDevices E6804 that has all of 51 channels (17 logical pixels) on it.  From a wiring standpoint, it just worked out well...
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline robbiet

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »
Im have that exact setup. You will lose one pixel port assuming your are using serial port 2 only. You would lose 2 pixel ports if you were using both serial ports 2 and 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Reys Dad

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »
Im have that exact setup. You will lose one pixel port assuming your are using serial port 2 only. You would lose 2 pixel ports if you were using both serial ports 2 and 3.

Thanks! You wouldn't remember which pixel port on the receiver you lost would you? I've got one old receiver with a bad port 4 so if I lost that one it really wouldn't matter

Offline robbiet

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 01:34:43 PM »
I think it is one of the others but I dont recall. You may want to test it out.

Offline Reys Dad

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 02:35:02 PM »
Thanks, I'll do that  ;D

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 04:57:11 PM »

Thanks! You wouldn't remember which pixel port on the receiver you lost would you? I've got one old receiver with a bad port 4 so if I lost that one it really wouldn't matter
If you use DMX2 and DMX3 for LOR then you'll lose port2 and port3 on the differential receivers but Port1 and Port4 could still be used for pixels

The 4 differential ports are mapped to the 4 twisted pairs in the RJ45/Cat5 cable.   The DMX1 jack is the only one that has all 4 pairs wired and thus the only one that can drive all 4 ports on the receiver.  You *CAN* plug the receiver into any of the other DMX jacks but only Port1 on the receiver will be active (because those jacks are only wired for Pair 1)

Another method would be to make a splitter cable that plugs into DMX1 to get all 4 differential output ports and then feed it out to 2 or more receivers, with each receiver only having 1 or a couple live ports (still 4 total overall)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 05:03:26 PM by pixelpuppy »
-Mark

Offline Reys Dad

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 12:53:16 AM »
Thanks, Now that Ive gotten a better idea how it works Im thinking I might try to leave Lor in Dmx 2 and plug the receiver into Dmx 1 but make a Frankencable by switching the wires so port 2 shared with Lor goes to my bad receiver port 4 and the data that was supposed to be for receiver port 4 actually goes to receiver port 2. Three good ports on the receiver should be enough for what I need it to do. I probably could just get another receiver card but now Im just curious if I can do it or not.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 118
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 03:35:08 PM »
There was a kit board made back in the Pixelnet days (Robert Jordon) called a "concentrator" that was originally designed to combine the inputs from 4 USB pixelnet dongles into a single output. That output would be just like an Etherdongle (E1.31 to Pixelnet).

But if you turned it around, it could also take the output from the F16v2 or F16v3 output from "DMX1" and split it into 4 DMX outputs.
I know I had one at one time but don't find it now. :(