Author Topic: How large of a display can I run on PiCap  (Read 505 times)

Offline thewinks

• Kudos: 0
How large of a display can I run on PiCap
« on: February 05, 2019, 08:23:26 AM »
I would like to try and keep cost down for my first year if I can.  Could I run this layout off of a PiCap?  Its about 1900 lights.

Offline Bos Lights

• Kudos: 1
    • BosLights - Light Shows
Re: How large of a display can I run on PiCap
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:59:44 AM »
You can go over 1000 per output + 512 channels using DMX

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 09:17:42 AM »
Yes but,  the wiring and configuration may make it more trouble than it is worth as you only get two ports.  I would suggest a second PiCap and split the configuration up to make it easier on you for the setup and any troubleshooting.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline thewinks

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 10:46:24 AM »
ok that make sense.  If I run with 2 picaps where would you spit it up?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
How large of a display can I run on PiCap
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 12:19:06 PM »
If you are going to spend money on a PiCap for the first Pi, a second Pi, PiCap, power supply, SD card, etc., and multiple power distribution boards, then I would suggest using a single Pi sending E1.31 to a F4v3.   Put a differential expansion board on the F4v3 and pickup 2 differential receivers instead of power distribution boards.

Put the F4v3 under the tree and connect the tree to the F4v3 itself using 4 outputs and a power distro board.  Put a differential receiver board on the right side of the house to feed the wreath, center/right roof lines, and a line going out to the arches.  Put the other differential receiver on the left side of the house to feed the 3 roof lines, window, and cross.  By feeding the arches from the right differential receiver, you don't have to cross the sidewalk with any wires.  The top two roof lines on the left would be daisy-chained on a single output.

I think your cost will be almost the same as two Pi's with PiCaps and more power injection boards and your overall config will be much simpler.  If you add more display items in the future, you can then 'upgrade' to a F16v3 later and re-use the differential boards to the F16v3 if needed.

F4v3 - $125
F4v3 Diff Exp - $22
Diff Rcvr - $34 ($17 times 2)
F8-Distro power board  - $15

Total is $196 not counting the first Pi which you need in either situation.  If you use two Pi's, you're looking at $50-60 or so for the second Pi, $70 for two PiCap's, and probably 3 power distro boards for $45 for a total of $165-175.  Your power supplies and cases would remain about the same with both scenarios.  Another advantage of using the F4v3 is that you can place the Pi wherever you want, you don't have to have it close to the pixels as you would with a PiCap.

EDIT:  I just saw on the other forum that you already have one PiCap so that would make the dual-PiCap option cheaper.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 01:12:56 PM by CaptainMurdoch »
-
Chris

Offline thewinks

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 02:04:08 PM »
yea I already have 1 pi an piCap.  So adding another one would be 70 for the PiCap and the Pi. 

This is my first year and will probably be going to a F16v3 for next year.  But just want to try and lessen the $$ on this year since I am buying everything else this year. 

I get that the F8-distro board would be needed.  I figured at least one for the Tree but I am not sure that only one power supply would do for 1120 pixels. 

I am thinking that I run 1 PiCap at the tree and run the Tree, Cross, and Wreath off of it.  Then run the rest off of the other Pi with a Famp in a place or two to get the long runs (one to the arches and one up to the end of the house.)

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 04:21:44 PM »
yea I already have 1 pi an piCap.  So adding another one would be 70 for the PiCap and the Pi. 

This is my first year and will probably be going to a F16v3 for next year.  But just want to try and lessen the $$ on this year since I am buying everything else this year. 

I get that the F8-distro board would be needed.  I figured at least one for the Tree but I am not sure that only one power supply would do for 1120 pixels. 

I am thinking that I run 1 PiCap at the tree and run the Tree, Cross, and Wreath off of it.  Then run the rest off of the other Pi with a Famp in a place or two to get the long runs (one to the arches and one up to the end of the house.)

How you control the lights is one of the most important items you need to get for a show. If you are planning to expand in the near future Captain Murdoch's suggestion makes sense. Use the Pi for FPP and save the Pi cap you have for use at a later date. The F4will easily run the 1900 lights. The F16 is only $75 more and it allow you plenty of expansion with the expansion boards and diff receivers without having to revisit the controller for some time in the future. A little more $$ now may save you $$$$ down the road.

If it's the boss lady your worried about....Remember....It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission :)
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline srtate1

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:21:50 AM »
Revisiting this question, I am trying to put together a self-contained and mobile show with a Pi and PiCap.  I'm using LED ribbons with 150 nodes per string - so 450 channels.  Am I limited to 170 nodes per output?  I could really use a bit more, but adding another Pi will defeat my purpose of being small and lightweight.  If 170 per output is my max, I can work with that, just wondering if there is a way to add more. Thanks!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 08:31:36 AM »
i have several Pi caps running more that 170 per output.  240 for a MegaSpinner on port 1and 600 for a window matrix on port 2.  I have two configured like that and another running a small pixel tree with 480 on port 1 and a small star on port 2.  A port can be multiple universes.  You still have to condiser power options though.  The above connections are all about data.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 08:31:50 AM »
I'm using LED ribbons with 150 nodes per string - so 450 channels.  Am I limited to 170 nodes per output? 

Absolutely not!    :)

The PiCap can provide DATA to over 1000 pixels (over 3000 channels) per output
With two outputs on the PiCap you can run over 2000 pixels total.

HOWEVER, the two outputs can not supply enough power for that many pixels.   You will need to power inject when you daisy-chain multiple 150-node ribbons together off one pixel data output on a controller.
-Mark