Author Topic: FPP backup  (Read 271 times)

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 5
FPP backup
« on: February 05, 2019, 02:50:05 PM »
I am playing with the functionality of FPP and I don't know if this is a glitch or user error. I had an instance of FPP and backed up the settings, I unchecked the option to protect sensitive data and selected to download all data. Then I installed FPP on another PI, expanded the SD card and then restored the settings. The first time, I unchecked the "Keep Existing Network Settings" and "Keep Existing Master/Slave Settings" because my thought process was that "existing" meant what was already saved on the FPP, so I restored the configuration and the Network settings from the saved version did not load, so I tried the process again and this time, I checked "Keep Existing Network Settings" and "Keep Existing Master/Slave Settings" thinking that my thought process was incorrect. But it restored without the network settings again. This includes not saving the "unprotected" settings.
Am I missing something?
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
Re: FPP backup
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »
If that is true it makes me even more glad that I use the USB drives for my settings because even going from V1.10 to 2.x all my network settings came across fine.  And with 12 configured FPP systems that worked great.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:58:48 PM »
Does the USB store network settings? I thought it was for the media?

Offline bigwavedave

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »
It stores network, channel output, etc.  Pretty much all settings you configure in FPP.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 208
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 10:40:10 PM »
I looked at the restore code and don't see why it would be doing this.  Is this backup from a v1.x or v2.x system?  I can try to reproduce the issue and see if it happens here.
-
Chris

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 07:35:03 AM »
Popo,

What version FPP?    There were issues related to this in earlier V2.x releases.  I believe it was fixed in V2.4   I'm not positive of that version, but first thing is to make sure you update to V2.6 and try again.

Code: [Select]
Backup Fixes & Enhancements

Network settings are now able to be backed up and restored. Settings are displayed once restored with a message to verify these before rebooting.

Fixed issue restoring Channel Input data.
Misc tweaks to reduce messages and only show messages for settings restored.

(cherry picked from commit 38f95fe)
-Mark

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 01:49:43 PM »
I am using a fresh install of 2.5.3. I am not sure if it is because there is no eth0 connection that is causing the problem. Here are the steps I am taking:
1. Install uSD card with fresh 2.5.3 .img into Pi 3B and power on (no network connection)
2. Log into FPP wireless network
3. Change wlan0 to DHCP, add SSID and password for local wireless network
4. Update interface, restart interface
5. Reboot- this will disconnect from FPP network and connect to default wireless
6. Refresh page and see that it is connected to local wireless network (pic attached)
7. Restored configuration (Keep Existing Network Settings and Keep Existing Master/Slave Settings unchecked)
8. Reboot
9. No network is established-FPP network is available again
10. Log into FPP network-connect to Pi using 192.168.0.1
11. Network settings are blank-Everything is DHCP and no SSID or Password, and no DNS info saved, other settings are sucessfully transferrred(see Pic)

Observations: At step 7, you get a confirmation page with what was saved- The network settings seem like they are blank? (See Pic)
If I click on the link on this page to go to network settings, they are blank.
The saved .json file seems to have all of the network info.

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 01:29:13 PM »
Anyone look further into this?