Author Topic: Quick start for boards, protocols, and right-sizing...  (Read 190 times)

Offline jp_johnny

• Kudos: 0
Quick start for boards, protocols, and right-sizing...
« on: February 06, 2019, 11:07:08 AM »
Are there any good sources for getting up to speed quickly on the various boards on the market, protocols they use, and in general examples of different ways someone could assemble the various pieces and parts of a show.
For example, how to choose an appropriately sized board, extenders and so on. Protocols each might use to communicate. How to mix in addressable LEDs with say incandescent strings.  What I would love would be be diagrams of how things might be connected... where boards, PS's, etc are placed.  I'm guessing most people just learn this by picking a brand and/or protocol and grow from there.  I would like to understand what is most popular, what is most capable, and how to figure out the best route to go as you get started... regardless of whether or not you intend to start and stay small or grow into a complicated show.
Thanks in advance for useful responses.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 42
Re: Quick start for boards, protocols, and right-sizing...
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 12:14:37 PM »
Here is a good source of info for people just starting out.   Some of it is getting a bit out-dated, but the fundamentals and concepts are still a good place to start...

https://www.doityourselfchristmas.com/wiki/index.php?title=DIYC_Beginners_Info

That page includes links to all these topics:

DIYC Beginner's Guide good starting point for all new DIYC members. Gives a general overview of what is involved in creating a computerized Christmas light display.
DIYC Wiki Index - Index to the information in the Wiki
Newbie Guide to Do It Yourself Christmas another great starting point for all new DIYC members.
7 Steps to Selecting a Controller a guide to assist members in determining which DIYC controller best suits their needs.
Comparison of DIYC Boards basic comparison of DIYC controllers.
DIYC Control boards and Contacts listing of DIYC controllers and who to contact to get them.
Things You Will Need To Get Started With Pixels - A good starting point for people who are interested in Pixels
-Mark

Offline jp_johnny

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 12:38:14 PM »
Thanks!

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 03:38:13 PM »
Are there any good sources for getting up to speed quickly on the various boards on the market, protocols they use, and in general examples of different ways someone could assemble the various pieces and parts of a show.
For example, how to choose an appropriately sized board, extenders and so on. Protocols each might use to communicate. How to mix in addressable LEDs with say incandescent strings.  What I would love would be be diagrams of how things might be connected... where boards, PS's, etc are placed.  I'm guessing most people just learn this by picking a brand and/or protocol and grow from there.  I would like to understand what is most popular, what is most capable, and how to figure out the best route to go as you get started... regardless of whether or not you intend to start and stay small or grow into a complicated show.
Thanks in advance for useful responses.
Also....

https://xlights.org/16-port-rgb-pixel-controllers/
https://xlights.org/fpp-comparison/

Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline mararunr

• Kudos: 14
    • Bentonville Heart Lites
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 06:59:30 AM »
and there's this - the handbook of lighting that got some of us started...

https://auschristmaslighting.com/attachments/auschristmaslighting-101-third-edition-release-pdf.12297/
Bentonville Heart Lites (www.facebook.com/bheartlites)
 This is just my opinion/suggestion/viewpoint.  Others with other viewpoints/experiences may have different advice.  I am a hobbyist with a couple years real world experience, not an expert.