Author Topic: PiCap and LOR CMB24D 24 Channel Dumb RGB Board  (Read 816 times)

Offline smithzone

• Kudos: 0
Re: PiCap and LOR CMB24D 24 Channel Dumb RGB Board
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 11:19:22 AM »
Okay - next attempt -

I jumpered PiCap and LOR CMB24D to the LOR pins and am using a known good CAT6 cable (not a crossover)

"Always transmit channel data" is checked

"Other" tab has been rebuilt to reflect the LOR set-up

Heartbeat/Sync light on LOR goes solid (which is good), but no output to floods in FPP test.   Floods work when I use LOR dongle and their software from PC.

LOR32=DMX50 if any confusion there - that is set on sliders on board

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 11:54:52 AM »
I'm confused about the overall "big" picture.    Are you using two FPP's or one?   It looks like two and if that is the case it would be really helpful to see the Input AND Output settings and include "E1.31" as well as "Other" for both FPP's.

Are you sending e1.31 data over WiFi?    Its not necessarily a problem if that is what you want and they are both set correctly.  But it wouldn't hurt to include those networking details to help us help you ;)
-Mark

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 01:19:03 PM »

Try it using ID 50 in FPP.  That field is a decimal number, the 32 is hex according to the table in the manual for the CMB24D.
-
Chris

Offline smithzone

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 02:09:16 PM »
I'm confused about the overall "big" picture.    Are you using two FPP's or one?   It looks like two and if that is the case it would be really helpful to see the Input AND Output settings and include "E1.31" as well as "Other" for both FPP's.

Are you sending e1.31 data over WiFi?    Its not necessarily a problem if that is what you want and they are both set correctly.  But it wouldn't hurt to include those networking details to help us help you ;)

I have three identical set-ups - Each Pi+PiCap are connected to their own CMB24D and 8 Floods

For testing I am using hardwired, but will migrate to Wi-fi once it works

Offline smithzone

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »

Try it using ID 50 in FPP.  That field is a decimal number, the 32 is hex according to the table in the manual for the CMB24D.

Interesting - 32 is the highest I can put in there, must be universe limit as it is assuming I am using 16 channel AC LOR boxes (16*32)

I will flip all the switches on the CMB24D and just go with "1" everywhere then retest

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »
Interesting - 32 is the highest I can put in there, must be universe limit as it is assuming I am using 16 channel AC LOR boxes (16*32)

I will flip all the switches on the CMB24D and just go with "1" everywhere then retest

That 32 limit comes my early-on non-knowledge of LOR when I wrote that Channel Output.  I will push a commit to FPP's master code branch which bumps that max value up to 240 (0xF0 LOR).

Offline smithzone

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2019, 02:48:34 PM »

Progress! - 5.33 Floods work (out of 8  )

So to recap where we are at hardware wise:
  • PiCap is jumpered to LOR and connected to CMB24D with normal CAT6 cable (not a crossover) to the RJ45 on the PiCap
  • CMB24D is also jumpered to LOR with those onboard pins
  • CMB24D switches are set to LOR01 (which is the same as DMX1)

So to recap where we are at software wise:

Output/"Other" tab:
  • Active Checked
  • LOR
  • Start Channel needs to match FPP start on e1.31 screen
  • Channel Count=24
  • Port=ttyAMAO
  • Speed=57600
  • First Controller=1
Channel Outputs/"e1.31" screen

• Active
  • FPP Start Channel - will need to take this number and move to "other" screen
  • Universe number is only needed for Xlights - no impact here to making this work
  • Universe size is 24
  • Unicast (up to user here)
  • IP matches PI connected to LOR
FPP Settings Screen:

"Always transmit channel data" is checked

So open question now - why do the last 2.67 RGB flood lights not work (17,18 and 19,20,21 and 22,23,24)?  They work if controlled from LOR dongle.  I am thinking the lightorama coding in FPP assumes the LOR boxes are only 16 channels (like the AC ones)?  That would explain why the first 5 floods work and only the red on six works (RGB) as that is 16 channels total.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:09:22 PM by smithzone »

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 03:25:12 PM »
I know that was the case when I first set mine up.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 04:10:17 PM »
why do the last 2.67 RGB flood lights not work (17,18 and 19,20,21 and 22,23,24)?  They work if controlled from LOR dongle.  I am thinking the lightorama coding in FPP assumes the LOR boxes are only 16 channels (like the AC ones)?  That would explain why the first 5 floods work and only the red on six works (RGB) as that is 16 channels total.

I have never seen any official specs on the LOR protocol.  I think I copied parts from the xLights source code and then later they copied back some of my changes from FPP.

I think I know what needs to change in the data packet to allow control of the last 8 channels, but would need someone to test some code changes.  I can commit these to the master code branch or a new branch to allow someone to test and if the test works, then I can look at getting the UI updated to allow sending more than 16 channels to a controller.  The UI will need to be updated to allow you to specify how many channels to send to each controller.

Offline smithzone

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 04:15:27 PM »
why do the last 2.67 RGB flood lights not work (17,18 and 19,20,21 and 22,23,24)?  They work if controlled from LOR dongle.  I am thinking the lightorama coding in FPP assumes the LOR boxes are only 16 channels (like the AC ones)?  That would explain why the first 5 floods work and only the red on six works (RGB) as that is 16 channels total.

I have never seen any official specs on the LOR protocol.  I think I copied parts from the xLights source code and then later they copied back some of my changes from FPP.

I think I know what needs to change in the data packet to allow control of the last 8 channels, but would need someone to test some code changes.  I can commit these to the master code branch or a new branch to allow someone to test and if the test works, then I can look at getting the UI updated to allow sending more than 16 channels to a controller.  The UI will need to be updated to allow you to specify how many channels to send to each controller.

Perfect - it will get complex in the UI development if people want to daisy chain 24->16->16 or whatever.  However, it sounds like you have a good handle on what is going on though.  Appreciate the support!

Offline K-State Fan

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 05:38:34 PM »
This is how mine is set up

PiCap Jumpers DMX
CMB24D Jumpers DMX

Straight Cable

Other Outputs

DMX-Open

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 05:50:52 PM »
Perfect - it will get complex in the UI development if people want to daisy chain 24->16->16 or whatever.  However, it sounds like you have a good handle on what is going on though.  Appreciate the support!

I am thinking something simple, either a comma separated list of channel counts or maybe a little fancier with a set of drop downs or radio buttons that you just choose between 16/24.  I will think about it some.

Offline smithzone

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 05:51:07 PM »

PiCap Jumpers DMX
CMB24D Jumpers DMX

Straight Cable

Other Outputs

DMX-Open

Okay, that is were I started as my preference was to use DMX, but did not work for me.

Did you set the sliders on CMB24d to the same Universe that is specified on e1.31 page (that then corresponds to the Start Channel on "other" tab)?

Offline smithzone

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 05:51:44 PM »

I am thinking something simple, either a comma separated list of channel counts or maybe a little fancier with a set of drop downs or radio buttons that you just choose between 16/24.  I will think about it some.

Got it - thanks again!

Offline K-State Fan

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 07:18:37 PM »

PiCap Jumpers DMX
CMB24D Jumpers DMX

Straight Cable

Other Outputs

DMX-Open

Okay, that is were I started as my preference was to use DMX, but did not work for me.

Did you set the sliders on CMB24d to the same Universe that is specified on e1.31 page (that then corresponds to the Start Channel on "other" tab)?

DIP Switchs are set to 000000001 to start on DMX channel 1

I do not have e1.31 enabled since I have nothing going out on e1.31 just the dmx from the picap.