Author Topic: Workflow question: Bug reporting  (Read 270 times)

Offline gc2016

• Kudos: 0
Workflow question: Bug reporting
« on: February 09, 2019, 12:21:37 PM »
I'm finding some UI quirks in version 2.6. They are not critical, but I think they might be easy fixes too. I was going to report those through Github issues, but I don't know if that's the standard workflow. I like using github (especially for clear code issues) but I'm not sure if that's your workflow.

What's the best way to report bugs? I really appreciate the incredibly fast response to issues I report or questions I have, and I want to do what I can to help make that easier.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: Workflow question: Bug reporting
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:14:38 PM »
My preference is to bring the issue up on the forum first and then create a bug report if we agree it's a bug and will get worked on.  Some things may be bugs, but they may be in code that we plan to replace, so they will not likely get fixed before being replaced with new code.  Some other things may seem like bugs to some users but are desired effects.
-
Chris

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 88
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 05:53:28 PM »

For the most part, I agree.  Bring it up here first.   For things that are super obvious bugs, just log it.   For example, if something is completely spelled wrong someplace, just log it. 

Offline gc2016

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 07:12:31 PM »
Thanks, will do.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »
or send a pull request. :)

Offline gc2016

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 11:08:30 AM »
or send a pull request. :)

I would be happy to do that. There's some pieces of the development process I'm unclear on, though.

I think I'd fork the code, and then modify my development Pi to use that forked version of code. Then I can do a build and test, then issue the pull request, could I just stop fppd, run the git_pull command (under sudo, I'd assume) and would start_fppd handle the rebuilding? I couldn't find where script commands like cleanCompiledBinaries were stored to read through them.

I've seen some requests on github to set up a kind of development how-to, but that doesn't seem quite done yet (maybe its something I can put together as I try this all out)

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 88
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 12:05:08 PM »

On the Pi/BBB, if you cd to /opt/fpp/src, you can run "sudo make clean" and "sudo make optimized" to do builds.   If you need gdb or similar, you can do a "sudo make debug".   A restart will then use the newly build binary. 

Offline gc2016

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 12:58:31 PM »
Thank you. I really liked your idea about modifying samba.conf in order to use more advanced editors as well. I'll have to look into that more.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 10:03:13 PM »
If you are like me and don't like to have to sudo everything or share out the /opt/fpp directory, you can do one of several things.  You can develop on another faster Linux system or even a VM if you aren't doing anything Pi/BBB specific, or, if you need or want to develop on a Pi/BBB, you can copy /opt/fpp to /home/fpp/fpp and reboot and the system will use /home/fpp/fpp instead of /opt/fpp.  That is probably the first thing I do on most systems I setup, because I can then login as the normal 'fpp' user and edit files, run make without sudo, etc..  Then when I'm ready to restart fppd after running make, I just run "sudo ../scripts/fppd_stop ; sudo ../scripts/fppd_start".  It then becomes a 1-line change to edit smb.conf to share out /home/fpp instead of /home/fpp/media if you want to edit the source files under /home/fpp/fpp on another system.

Offline gc2016

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 11:39:18 AM »
I noticed when I copy from /opt/fpp to home/fpp/fpp the manual update does not work, as I get a series of 'permission denied' on rm commands. Is that expected behavior, or a mistake on my part?

FPP starts up great, just the manual update seems not to work.

Ultimately, I want to be able to shift /fpp/fpp to use my forked version of the code so I can do pull requests, so I'm still working on figuring that out so I don't send you garbage.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »
I have never tried an update via the UI when using /home/fpp/fpp so there may be an issue in the update script.  I normally am updating from the command line.  I also sometimes install my github key on the Pi and switch the repository origin URL to use ssh so I can easily commit from the command line instead of having to authenticate via http.