Author Topic: FPP on Pi/Pi Hat not running in Bridge Mode  (Read 448 times)

Offline Dennismz51

• Kudos: 0
FPP on Pi/Pi Hat not running in Bridge Mode
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:25:50 AM »
I thought I had the Pi and Xlights both configured correctly, but I cant get any output of packets on my Pi from Xlights in real-time. I have a total of 39 Univrses setup in Xlights and only need 3 of them on the Pi, Ive added the 3 universes to thee Pi in both the input and outputs from Xlights, so they should match, Im using Multicast mode. Also, Ive tried with universes enabled and disabled in both the inputs and outputs and all combinations thereof. Everything looks like it should work to me, but nothing works, I know it must be a noobie mistake :) .

Any help greatly appreciated.

Online Poporacer

• Kudos: 6
Re: FPP on Pi/Pi Hat not running in Bridge Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 10:03:16 AM »
Without seeing your setup it is hard to say what is wrong. A few screenshots might help. And what do you mean by "not able to get packets in real time?" A few things to check.
Is this "real time" you are talking about transmitting from XLights? If so, do you have your IP addresses setup in XLights? Do you have your models identified by Universe or channel? Do you have the Output to Lights turned on?
Also, in your FPP do you have your channel outputs set correctly?
Can you ping your Pi from your computer?
If this doesn't help, send a few screenshots. We could use a screenshot of your FPP Network page (both eth0 and wlan0) A screenshot of your input and output sections of your FPP, A screenshot of your Setup page from Xlights and a screenshot of your Layout page in Xlights with one of your models that are wired to the Pi selected. We will get you up and running!
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline Dennismz51

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 10:21:35 AM »
Ill get some screen shots when I get back home. Im trying to output from Xlights, yes, the output is turned on. I have the models identified by universes. I can talk to the Pi and upload files, but havent tried to pin it, but I should be able to. Ive looked in Wireshark and I can see the packets being sent.

Get more info in a couple of hours.

Offline Dennismz51

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 01:27:03 PM »
Here are some screen shots of what I've setup, I am able to ping the Pi.

Thanks
Dennis

Offline Bos Lights

• Kudos: 1
    • BosLights - Light Shows
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 01:55:14 PM »
A good starting point is to check on your FPP while in bridge mode and while sending data from XLights if you can see packets are being received on the status page. Also maybe simplify the setup first for testing the connection first and making sure you will get some lights to work first let’s say:

1. Setup unicast Vs multicast
2. Setup one universe in XLights and match this in FPP.
3. In XLights using the test page to test a few lights.

This should help to eliminate a few options that could be causing the problem.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 02:06:00 PM by Bos Lights »

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 44
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:02:37 PM »
Your first two screen look like the same E1.31 input screen.  The FPP Output screens are missing.   

What are your Pixels connected to?  Are they connected to PiHat/Cap/Cape or is there another controller (e.g. F/4F16/F48)?
-Mark

Offline Dennismz51

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 02:20:08 PM »
A good starting point is to check on your FPP while in bridge mode and while sending data from XLights if you can see packets are being received on the status page. Also maybe simplify the setup first for testing the connection first and making sure you will get some lights to work first lets say:

1. Setup unicast Vs multicast
2. Setup one universe in XLights and match this in FPP.
3. In XLights using the test page to test a few lights.

This should help to eliminate a few options that could be causing the problem.

I cannot see any packets being received, I can run the lights test and play sequences in standalone mode, I'll try unicast.

Offline Dennismz51

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »
Your first two screen look like the same E1.31 input screen.  The FPP Output screens are missing.   

What are your Pixels connected to?  Are they connected to PiHat/Cap/Cape or is there another controller (e.g. F/4F16/F48)?
Mark
You're right 2 duplicate images, here's the correct one. The pixels are connected to a PiHat, they work in test and standalone mode

Dennis

Offline Dennismz51

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 02:34:19 PM »
Just switched to UNICAST and it works, now the question, why not Multicast, is it because I'm on WIFI and not hard wired?

Dennis

Online Poporacer

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 04:14:12 PM »
So a few things I see.
First, it is ALWAYS advisable to use Unicast. Multicast can cause congestion issues. If you know what you are doing or have a specific reason to use Multicast, then use it, if not, stick to Unicast.
In your XLights Setup, you should change your Universes to reflect the the IP address of the Controller you are using for that Universe and not set to Multicast. If you set up XLights correctly, then you can use XLights to set up most of your FPP/Controller settings and save a lot of heartache. Also, it is rare to have Universes set to 297.
In Xlights you can save you some major grief in the future if you get away from setting each individual prop to a start Universe and channel. If you have several models that are connected to the same port on a controller, then set the first model to start at the Universe/Channel that is starts on, and then the next prop you set the start channel to begin Channel 1 after whatever the prop was before it.
On your FPP eth0 page, there are a couple things.
First, did you really want your IP address to be 162.168.2.200? Using a 192.168.2.200 IP address would be more common to use in your case, but if you know what you are doing then it will work.
Second, your Netmask is 255.0.0.0. Again, if you know what you are doing then that "could" work, but you are creating a HUGE network that might cause problems.  If you have other FPPs/controllers that have the first 3 numbers in the IP address of 162, then this netmask could be causing the issues you see between Unicast and Multicast. The more common netmask in almost EVERY setup page should be 255.255.255.0 (at least for our usage) but then again, if you know what you are doing, this will work.
The last thing I see is that you filled out the E.131/Artnet section and you selected the wlan interface. That is not the correct place to enter your output data if you are using a hat/cape. You need to be in the Pi Pixel String page. The E.131/Artnet section is used if you are using the FPP to pass on data to a controller that is not physically connected to the Pi. (Hats and capes are physically attached)
So you might have some setting incorrect in your Pi Pixel strings as well

Offline Dennismz51

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 05:47:12 PM »
So a few things I see.
First, it is ALWAYS advisable to use Unicast. Multicast can cause congestion issues. If you know what you are doing or have a specific reason to use Multicast, then use it, if not, stick to Unicast.
In your XLights Setup, you should change your Universes to reflect the the IP address of the Controller you are using for that Universe and not set to Multicast. If you set up XLights correctly, then you can use XLights to set up most of your FPP/Controller settings and save a lot of heartache. Also, it is rare to have Universes set to 297.
In Xlights you can save you some major grief in the future if you get away from setting each individual prop to a start Universe and channel. If you have several models that are connected to the same port on a controller, then set the first model to start at the Universe/Channel that is starts on, and then the next prop you set the start channel to begin Channel 1 after whatever the prop was before it.
On your FPP eth0 page, there are a couple things.
First, did you really want your IP address to be 162.168.2.200? Using a 192.168.2.200 IP address would be more common to use in your case, but if you know what you are doing then it will work.
Second, your Netmask is 255.0.0.0. Again, if you know what you are doing then that "could" work, but you are creating a HUGE network that might cause problems.  If you have other FPPs/controllers that have the first 3 numbers in the IP address of 162, then this netmask could be causing the issues you see between Unicast and Multicast. The more common netmask in almost EVERY setup page should be 255.255.255.0 (at least for our usage) but then again, if you know what you are doing, this will work.
The last thing I see is that you filled out the E.131/Artnet section and you selected the wlan interface. That is not the correct place to enter your output data if you are using a hat/cape. You need to be in the Pi Pixel String page. The E.131/Artnet section is used if you are using the FPP to pass on data to a controller that is not physically connected to the Pi. (Hats and capes are physically attached)
So you might have some setting incorrect in your Pi Pixel strings as well

Thanks for all the feedback, I was wildly trying things to get it to work, I had all the universes set to 510, but changed them in an effort to figure out what was going wrong. The IP address for the hardwire was just something I put out there, it should have been the 192.168.2.200.

Everything is making more sense now, still have questions about the universes and ports, especially on the megatree, do you just let the tree run from 1 universe to the next or do you break them up to match the ports you want them to be on the controller, otherwise I would have just over 7 universes, but I want 8 outputs. I think I have a better grip on the rest, for now, Im sure more questions will come up the further I go.

Thanks again for all the input.
Dennis

Online Poporacer

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 07:50:58 PM »
Universes and ports do not have any direct correlation. A port can start on any channel in a Universe. Universes are just a method to be able to identify each pixel so that every component in your system knows where each pixel is, including you. (In reality, Xlights and the controllers will just identify them by a sequential number, called Absolute Addressing)
You can start your Universes with any number, make them any number of channels (up to 512) and even skip universes. It just has to make sense to you but you also need to be able to let your other systems know what pixels they are responsible to control so you should be careful in how you setup your universes. There are a few standard methods but some people follow their own method. I personally have my universes grouped in series of 100. So my first Universe group starts at 100. Each Controller will have its own universe group so my first controller will start at Universe 100 channel 1 (I use 512 channels, but 510 is more common) and setup just enough Universes to handle the Pixels that are being controlled by that controller (this might need to be adjusted if you leave blank channels).
So my first controller might have Universes 100 to 115. The next controller will start at Universe 200 and then setup however many Universes I need for that controller. So my setup page will have Universes 100-115 and then Universes 200 to however many I need for that controller. In Xlights, I setup my first model that is going on the first controller and first port to start at Universe 100 channel 1, and then if there are other models that are chained in line, then the next model will have its start channel to be setup as a relative address to the model before. (see attached pic) I don't manually set each model with a start channel. Let XLights do the management for you! Then when I start on the next prop, I will just see what Universes were used on the first port and start that model with the next Universe, channel 1.
In regards to your MegaTree, just start it at Channel 1 of whatever Universe you have setup and let it increment from there. Like I said before  the ports do not have a direct correlation to Universes. Just tell XLights the total number of strings you are using (Strings ARE the number of ports you want to use on your controller, so in your case, it would be 8) Then you will tell XLights how many Pixels are connected to each port (Nodes/String) and then you tell it how many times the strand connected to the port goes up and down (strands/string)
Let me try an example that is close to what you are doing. Assume that you have a MegaTree with 16 strands of 75 pixels on each strand for a total of 1200 Pixels. Each String will be 4 strands on the tree so 300 pixels on each port.
With that you will setup 8 Universes. Let's say Universes 100-107 each 510 channels. Then all you have to do is go to the controller and say that output 1 will  start at Universe 100 channel 1 and have 300 Pixels. The controller will tell you where this string ends, in this case Universe 101 channel 390. So then you would tell the controller that Port 2 will start at Universe 101 channel 391, etc. (Did I tell you that if you use XLights to its full potential, it will actually setup your controller for you?)
I attached a pic of my controller for an example. (I use 512 channels/Universe)

Offline Dennismz51

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 08:13:44 PM »
Poporacer

It a lot more clear right now, my next step will be to get my controllers and start setting them up, I think with hardware, things will come together better.

Dennis

Online Poporacer

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 10:09:55 PM »
Poporacer

It a lot more clear right now, my next step will be to get my controllers and start setting them up, I think with hardware, things will come together better.

Dennis
Make life easy! Let XLights do it for you! LOL I thought you already had your controller, or are you getting some additional ones? What are you looking at buying?

Offline Dennismz51

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 07:30:57 AM »
The only thing I have right now is the Pi with the PiHat. Im looking at either a F16V3 or a F48, going to start on my layout to see what works best, at this point, Im leaning toward the F16V3 mounted at the MegaTree and add diff receivers to the other areas, will probably only need 3 of them.

Dennis