Author Topic: WiFi on 2.6 will not connect if Pi boots before router  (Read 152 times)

Offline vcuncg

• Kudos: 0
WiFi on 2.6 will not connect if Pi boots before router
« on: February 12, 2019, 08:25:36 PM »

Hi everyone - I have looked around the forum, but did not have success finding anything about this, so apologies if this has been asked/discussed before:

I have a Pi running 2.6 with WiFi, and everything runs perfectly.  My issue is that if I boot the Pi before my router powers on then WiFi never connects.  It will only connect if the router is up and running and then the Pi boots.  I am curious if I am doing something wrong or if there might be a script I can run that will continue to look for the WiFi connection until it is found.  The simple solution would be to always have them both running, but this is a remote setup, so I am trying to eliminate different faults that would have me running out to reset things.  There is no wired connection, only WiFi.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have. :)

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 7
Re: WiFi on 2.6 will not connect if Pi boots before router
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 12:17:55 AM »
Disable "Tethering Mode" on Network page.
By default, FPP switches to tethering mode when it doesn't make initial wifi connection.

Offline allknowing2012

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 07:06:36 AM »
And that is with a static wifi setting? Seems unusual.

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 08:10:19 AM »
Not really, what if you have a device that you setup a static WiFi but then forgot it, or you didn't limit DHCP addresses and the router assigned the address while the Pi was disconnected? There would be no way to get into the Pi without some major pain...what if the Pi were not accessible?
By default, the tethering is set to "if no connection" the user can change that to disable. Someone else had the same problem and I tink they wrote a script to delay the startup for the Pi.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 11:01:37 AM »

If you have the ability to set STATIC, then you also have the ability to set tethering to disable.
Tethering as default gives those who do not have eth0 connection to do initial setup via wlan0.

Offline vcuncg

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:42:14 AM »
Sawdust, thanks!  You were exactly right, and I totally forgot about that. It was driving me nuts. Everything is running as expected now. Nice simple fix!