Author Topic: Halloween Triggered Sequence  (Read 593 times)

Offline robbiet

• Kudos: 0
Halloween Triggered Sequence
« on: February 12, 2019, 07:49:03 AM »
Hi guys. Im planning to purchase an animatronic witch for my Halloween show. Here is a link:

https://www.amazon.com/Morris-1330-MR124250-SPELL-SPEAKING-WITCH-ANIMATED/dp/B00EO5ANN6

Im trying to figure out how I can trigger a sequence to run when the witch is triggered. She will have a fogging cauldron which will become part of the animation as well as the rest of the house will be tied in when she casts her spell.

Ultimately, Id like to have a long sequence with Halloween sound effects that runs all the time and then a separate witch sequence that runs when it is triggered by trick or treaters.

Im running FPP on a Pi. Show is sequenced in Xlights. Controller is F16V3 running pixels as well as DMX.

Any thoughts on how to set this up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline robbiet

Re: Halloween Triggered Sequence
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 08:08:27 AM »
Here is a better link from the manufacturer.

https://www.morriscostumes.com/ItemDetail.aspx

Offline robbiet

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »
Link does not work. Search for Part #:  MR-124250

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »
How do you intend on triggering her?

Offline gc2016

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »
My tiki bar has a light show with a fog machine, so triggering relays is pretty straightforward. A quick way to wire her up is to use the try-me button wiring, since its only a button and a relay will work with that.

Offline robbiet

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 01:42:17 PM »
My tiki bar has a light show with a fog machine, so triggering relays is pretty straightforward. A quick way to wire her up is to use the try-me button wiring, since its only a button and a relay will work with that.
Yeah, I was hoping I could use the button or motion sensor that comes with her and then somehow tap into that.  It seems like there are already 2 suitable triggers so why buy another?

So would the relay somehow tie to the raspberry pi GPIO pins?  Can you recommend a suitable relay and wiring advice?

Offline gc2016

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 07:09:28 PM »
The easy way is to do a form of DMX relay:
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-DMX512-Controlled-Switch-Converter/dp/B00R6DGSAK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1550023064&sr=8-5&keywords=dmx+relay[/size]

You can also make it super easy on yourself using this, if you don't want to do DMX.[/size]

https://www.amazon.com/LYSB00PL4LO50-ELECTRNCS-PiFace-Digital-Revision-2/dp/B00PL4LO50/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1550023201&sr=8-14&keywords=raspberry+pi+piface[/size]

Something like this will work well, if you want to connect direct to GPIO:[/size]

https://copperhilltech.com/raspberry-pi-relay-board/[/size]

This *should* work, though depends on the quality of the optocoupler. And you might have to do external 5V (the gpio pins do 3.3V, which sometimes isn't enough to flip the relay)

Hope that's enough to get you started.

Offline robbiet

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 08:07:17 PM »
Thanks...  So at a high level, I would attach the button directly to the Pi (PiFace or similar) and not to the witch. Then, the witch would be triggered by the relay?  Is that the idea?

I guess Im just trying to understand if the witch is triggering the Pi or the Pi is triggering the witch. Once I get the general concept I should be able to figure it out. The key is that the button triggers both the witch and the sequence.

Offline Bos Lights

• BosLights - Light Shows
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 08:08:59 PM »
You might find this YouTube video helpful for the wiring schema:
https://youtu.be/NAl-ULEattw

Also this push button works very nice with the Pi: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00XRC9URW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_7M4yCbE1TCX82

Offline Bos Lights

• BosLights - Light Shows
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 08:18:40 PM »
The button can trigger both the witch and the sequence:

1. Motion sensor or push btn can trigger a FPP script via the GPIO input.
2. FPP script can start your playlist + GPIO output can trigger your relay to start your witch.

I hope this helps 😀

Offline robbiet

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 08:30:23 PM »
I think I get it now. The witch is connected to the relay which triggers her to start.  That is what I was getting hung up on. Thanks everyone...time to start learning about GPIO and relays!  Ill be sure to post a video if I can get this to become a reality. Should be pretty cool.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 08:53:50 PM »
Many of these props are set up for either / or operation.  IOW, they will operate from the try-me jack or the IR depending on either a switch position or the button / pad being plugged into the prop.  I do this but I do it a different way.  I trigger from the PI itself.  I set up a GPIO pin as an input which is triggered by step pad that is hidden under leaves and ground cover.  This input triggers an event that calls a sequence.  The PI is also hooked up to an 8 relay board thru some more GPIO pins that are defined as outputs.  The sequence then triggers the props connected to the relay board when I want them triggered by turning the channels assigned to the GPIO outputs on for a second and then back off again which simulates someone stepping in a step pad connected to the prop.  I intend to add more inputs to trigger different events but I need to put the time in to figure out how to deal with the possibility of multiple events being triggered trying to start one sequence while another is still running.

Offline robbiet

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 06:02:40 AM »
Many of these props are set up for either / or operation.  IOW, they will operate from the try-me jack or the IR depending on either a switch position or the button / pad being plugged into the prop.  I do this but I do it a different way.  I trigger from the PI itself.  I set up a GPIO pin as an input which is triggered by step pad that is hidden under leaves and ground cover.  This input triggers an event that calls a sequence.  The PI is also hooked up to an 8 relay board thru some more GPIO pins that are defined as outputs.  The sequence then triggers the props connected to the relay board when I want them triggered by turning the channels assigned to the GPIO outputs on for a second and then back off again which simulates someone stepping in a step pad connected to the prop.  I intend to add more inputs to trigger different events but I need to put the time in to figure out how to deal with the possibility of multiple events being triggered trying to start one sequence while another is still running.
Thanks tbone. I think this is the approach I will be taking.

Offline robbiet

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »
The PiFace 2 looks pretty cool for controlling devices. Does anyone know if FPP recognizes it or is some extra coding required?

Offline gc2016

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
Piface has its own library in python. So you'd basically create the script and trigger it. I have some code I use for my monster in the box here:
https://github.com/DMXMax/MitB
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 07:19:33 PM by gc2016 »