Author Topic: WS2811 Not Working  (Read 578 times)

Offline johnnybroccoli

• Kudos: 0
WS2811 Not Working
« on: February 15, 2019, 10:42:01 PM »
I have a f16v2 and it works fine with WS2801 strips, but when I plug in WS2811 strips, nothing happens, even though on the web interface, I have WS2811 selected. Any idea why they aren't working?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: WS2811 Not Working
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 05:43:00 AM »
In changing from a 4-wire (ws2801) to a 3-wire (ws2811) pixel, did you "skip" the clock output on the connector? (i.e., there should be no wire in the clock output)

Offline johnnybroccoli

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 01:31:13 PM »
Yeah, I've made sure that I was putting the right wires in the right place.

Interesting thing happened. I have been plugging in the female end of the WS2811 strips into the f16v2. I tried plugging in the male end using jumper wires and it worked! Unfortunately, a lot of the strips that I have only have female ends, is there a way to reverse which end of the strip that the data comes from?

Online Poporacer

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 02:07:33 PM »
The lights will only work with data in one direction so you cannot change that. The pixels usually have some sort of indicator for the data direction. Usually on strips, there is either an arrow indicating direction, or the chip will have a DI (data in) on one side of the chip, and DO (data out) on the other side. With this you can figure out the direction. Not all pixels are wired the same in regards to male plugs being the data in side of the string (which is more standard, but not the only standard)
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline johnnybroccoli

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »
Ok, looks like I'll have to do some soldering on the ends. Thank you!

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 03:11:52 PM »
the male end is the end where the power and signal come into the string.  This is no different than any electrical connection such as an extension cord.  If any of your strings are using the female end for input, they are wired incorrectly and really need to be fixed.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 04:17:48 AM »
The newest pixels I received from Ray Wu have the female connector on the input side. Not that I care because Im cutting them off. Its the first time Ive had pixels this way. But it shows you need to look and make sure which end is which.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 07:55:52 AM »
Pixels I've purchased with JST connectors have all been "female" for Data input.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 08:11:39 AM »
A good friend always told us to, "make sure you know what is male and what is female. Opinions vary!"   ::)
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Tory Street Lights (NZ)

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 04:10:46 AM »
the male end is the end where the power and signal come into the string.  This is no different than any electrical connection such as an extension cord.  If any of your strings are using the female end for input, they are wired incorrectly and really need to be fixed.
I am afraid the 6,000 Pixels I have purchased from China were wired this way, odd I know, but that is the way they are.  They caught me out initially until I looked closely at the data input symbol on the Pixel PC board, following which no problems, just swap ends!!!  I cut them all off anyway and graft on three pin weatherproof connectors, so no problem  :-)

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 08:26:51 AM »
Note that the pixels we use are originally made for large signs (think Times Square, Vegas, etc.)  The manufacturers of the signs create controllers with bars of outputs that the installers literally run the strings across and plug them into the outputs of these bars.  In some cases, the manufacturers of the controllers find it better to put what some of us would call a "male" imbedded into the bar.

I've witnessed this setup working with a local sign company (to see how they do it). In the case of this connection bar, the pins in the plug are protected by the fact that they are recessed into the bar itself.  The females, mounted on the input side of the string, then plugged into the captive males.

For most of us, the male has the pins.  The females have the holes/sockets.
And yes - the females usually have the power, which the males want. 

With the advent of panels, the whole thing is up in the air!   :o