Author Topic: Updates to full size BBB controllers in the group buy....  (Read 2346 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
Updates to full size BBB controllers in the group buy....
« on: February 18, 2019, 07:26:05 AM »

Just a quick update about the controllers for the full size Beaglebone (and the F40-PB) in the group buy that is currently running.   I did some more testing and research and apparently some of the Pi based RTC's could cause damage to the BBB I2C pins if attached. (BBB pins are rated for 3.3V, but some of the RTC's use pull up resistors to pull up to 5V).  Some of the Pi RTC's that use 3.3V would be fine.  But others would be bad.   Thus, I've decided to remove the "pi compatible" I2C header.   Damaging the BBB would be bad.

Instead, I've gone ahead and added an RTC directly to the board.   I won't be supplying the battery (USPS doesn't like shipping batteries), but if you need an RTC, you would just need to slide a battery onto it.  I've also changed the I2C header to allow dropping on an OLED display IF you get the right pinout.  There are apparently two different pinouts.  One is V-G-C-D and the other s G-V-C-D.  The header uses the G-V-C-D pinout.    If looking at OLED's on amazon, be careful.   Example:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F5JKXD9  would work.   https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8JT1ZZ would work (smaller).   https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DX6N9K3 would NOT.    Anyway, master branch of FPP (will be 2.7) will support using the OLED display to display the ip address information and various status things (FPP mode, what sequence is playing, time elapsed/remaining, etc....).

Anyway, the F32-B, the F8-B, and F40-B that is part of the group buy will have the above.  I've updated the descriptions on the pages for those (and the rendered pictures).   There's a couple other things I've stuck on the I2C bus as well, but I'm not sure if I'll get those working or not. 

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
Re: Updates to full size BBB controllers in the group buy....
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 06:12:54 PM »
Do the OLEDs work with the F8-PB from last year or this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 08:03:40 PM »
Do the OLEDs work with the F8-PB from last year or this year?

Unfortunately, the F8-PB uses the 2 I2C pins for pixel outputs.   Thus, to enable it "properly" would require a complete redesign, a new "2.x" pinout, all new stencils, new configs in FPP, etc...   It's a bigger undertaking and would add quite a bit of extra cost to the board.   

That said, if you want to add it onto the the F8-PB and you don't use the expansion port and you are on master branch and you grab an oled that works with 5V (most do), you can wire one on relatively easy.  Pins 2/4/39/40 on the expansion port are 5v, most of the odd numbered pins except 1/31/39 are gnd, and 14 is SCL and 16 is SDA.   Likewise RTC's and such that use I2C could be wired onto them as well.  (providing 5V is OK) . I don't pull 3.3v out anywhere on the F8-PB as we've never used it. 

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 02:09:50 PM »

Got the temperature and voltage sensors working...     :)     Ignore the voltages, only VIN1 is actually connected to anything thats supplying a voltage (3.3V) and I dont have the exact size resistors to the value is a bit off.

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 02:26:00 PM »
And a quick picture of the test rig I'm using to test everything.  :)

Offline dloftis

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 09:19:52 PM »

Unfortunately, the F8-PB uses the 2 I2C pins for pixel outputs.   Thus, to enable it "properly" would require a complete redesign, a new "2.x" pinout, all new stencils, new configs in FPP, etc...   It's a bigger undertaking and would add quite a bit of extra cost to the board.   

Are the i2c pins on the PocketScroller also in use, or are they there if one wanted to connect an OLED to them?

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 05:36:49 AM »
I think you are asking the same thing that I did which Dan answered in the 4th post.

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 05:37:21 AM »

Are the i2c pins on the PocketScroller also in use, or are they there if one wanted to connect an OLED to them?

The pocketscroller uses every single gpio that's possible to be used on the PocketBeagle.  :(

That said, on master, we only configure the pins for GPIO if that output  actually has panels connected to it.   Thus, if you wanted to use an OLED, you would have to make sure no panels are connected to output 5 (which is where the I2C pins are multiplexed to).  Thus, you could try connecting it to pins 6 (SDA) and 5 (SCL) to the output 5 socket.   Pins 16 and 4 are ground.  The problem will be getting a vcc.  3.3v is on pins P1-14 and P2-23 of the PB, but those aren't pulled out anywhere.    Most of the OLED's are ok with 5V so you could uses that, but if it has pull up resistors on the sda/sca, it could be a problem.

Offline dloftis

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 09:08:07 AM »
I think you are asking the same thing that I did which Dan answered in the 4th post.

Similar but slightly different. You asked about F8-PB and I asked about PocketScroller. Wasn't sure (without asking) if the pins were in use on both or if that was unique to the F8-PB.

Offline dloftis

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2019, 09:10:37 AM »

The pocketscroller uses every single gpio that's possible to be used on the PocketBeagle.  :(

That said, on master, we only configure the pins for GPIO if that output  actually has panels connected to it.   Thus, if you wanted to use an OLED, you would have to make sure no panels are connected to output 5 (which is where the I2C pins are multiplexed to).  Thus, you could try connecting it to pins 6 (SDA) and 5 (SCL) to the output 5 socket.   Pins 16 and 4 are ground.  The problem will be getting a vcc.  3.3v is on pins P1-14 and P2-23 of the PB, but those aren't pulled out anywhere.    Most of the OLED's are ok with 5V so you could uses that, but if it has pull up resistors on the sda/sca, it could be a problem.

I was thinking along the lines of using stacking headers on the PB to bring male pins up on top of the board, which would make getting to the 3.3V, Gnd, and i2c pins trivial.

Would port 6 still work if I wanted to do this?

At the end of the day it's probably silly, I'm just a tinkerer and am always curious about what I can and can't do.

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2019, 09:24:15 AM »
I was thinking along the lines of using stacking headers on the PB to bring male pins up on top of the board, which would make getting to the 3.3V, Gnd, and i2c pins trivial.

Would port 6 still work if I wanted to do this?

Port 6 would still work, yes.     The stacking headers is an interesting idea.   You'd only need to do it for p1.  Might be very hard to solder the pins right next to the processor chip, but you could likely trim the pins sticking up on the odd number pins since you wouldn't need them.   

Offline dloftis

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »

Port 6 would still work, yes.     The stacking headers is an interesting idea.   You'd only need to do it for p1.  Might be very hard to solder the pins right next to the processor chip, but you could likely trim the pins sticking up on the odd number pins since you wouldn't need them.

I'll put it on my list of things to try... if the stacking headers work, it would be cheap enough to make a very small PCB to hold a couple of pull up resistors and a 1x4 header to plug one of those OLEDs into.

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2019, 12:22:55 PM »

I'll put it on my list of things to try... if the stacking headers work, it would be cheap enough to make a very small PCB to hold a couple of pull up resistors and a 1x4 header to plug one of those OLEDs into.

Don't need the pull ups, the BBB has them built in which is why having them on the OLED and other i2c devices can be problematic.   

Thus, it's really just a 4 pin header that's needed.

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »

If you used 2-1X16 (cut from 1X40's) soldering would be simplified.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HQ-1x40-Pin-40P-2-54mm-0-1-Female-Header-Long-Pin-12-2mm/301663670823?hash=item463c8e5227:g:-coAAOSwBahVf9qF:sc:USPSFirstClass!95630!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

Offline dloftis

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 02:54:30 PM »

Don't need the pull ups, the BBB has them built in which is why having them on the OLED and other i2c devices can be problematic.   

Thus, it's really just a 4 pin header that's needed.

Even better. Look like you'd really only need the stacking pins on one row of P2, could use standard height headers for the other row of P2 - using 1x headers as Sawdust suggested.

Looks like you'd just need P2-9,11,21,23? Or would it be on I2C2 over on P1-26,28? In which case you'd need P1-14,16,26,28... still a single row.