Author Topic: Updates to full size BBB controllers in the group buy....  (Read 2414 times)

jeremy0203

Re: Updates to full size BBB controllers in the group buy....
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2019, 01:09:31 AM »
I am connecting to pin 3 ground, pin 4 5V and 14 and 16.  I verified I'm getting 5V.  I just got a new OLED so we will see. If that doesn't work I'll try one of the other boards I have and try it on a Pi.  I haven't had much time to tinker with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pin 3 is not ground, connect to 3.3v as its recommended not to pull the i2c lines to 5v. Also SDA pin 26 and SCL pin 28. This is all on the P1 header.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2019, 03:42:38 PM »

I know this works.  :)

I used 3/4 for gnd/5V (assumes your oled is 5V capable) and 14/16 for the I2C lines.   If it's not working, run "sudo i2cdetect -r 2" from the command line and see if it detects anything anywhere.   The oled should be at 0x3c.   If it doesn't detect anything, try flipping the two i2c lines.   

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 05:35:31 PM »
This is what I got. 

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 05:43:44 PM »
The 3c says it's there and discovered.   Thus, it should be working.   

You can TRY running "sudo journalctl -u fppoled" and seeing if there is anything in the logs that indicates a problem initializing the display, but since the displays don't really communicate anything back, there isn't much we can detect from a doesn't work standpoint.

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 06:15:14 PM »
I tried a new OLED and it works.  So must have been a bad board.  I am using the SSD1306 leds.  What is the difference between I2C and 2 color I2C?  My board has 2 colors of leds but I didn't select that option and its working. 

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 07:22:09 PM »
I tried a new OLED and it works.  So must have been a bad board.  I am using the SSD1306 leds.  What is the difference between I2C and 2 color I2C?  My board has 2 colors of leds but I didn't select that option and its working.

With the 2 color non-flipped, I just don't display the line going across as the colors separate things.   In flipped mode, with single color, it looks the same with the same layout.   With two color, that would end up "strange" so I keep the network stuff in the yellow (now on the bottom). 

Online Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 04:58:13 PM »
Dan, wanting to add OLED to the F8-B v1.00.  Can I tap P9 = 1-Grd, 5-5V, 19-SCL and 20-SDA
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2019, 05:12:54 PM »
Dan, wanting to add OLED to the F8-B v1.00.  Can I tap P9 = 1-Grd, 5-5V, 19-SCL and 20-SDA
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

I would go with Pin 3 - 3.3V instead.   In general, sticking with 3.3V with the BBB pins is advisable.  They rest is fine.

Dan

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2019, 11:10:07 AM »
I made this OLED breakout board for the F8-PB or F8-B expansion headers?  I borrowed CaptainMurdoch's Pi design.  It uses pins 3 (Gnd), 4 (V+), 14 (SCL), 16 (SDA) on the expansion slot.  Is anyone interested in some of these?  I am gonna place an order for them and will have alot of extras that I could give away free.  I was trying to figure out how much interest there would be for this.  It does NOT work directly on a Beagle header.  It would only be useful for previous versions of Dan's boards since the new ones will have an OLED header present.  This is designed so that the OLED will sit over top of the SD card on a Pocket Beagle.  On a F8-B, the oled would be about the same place that it is located in the F8-Bv2.1 that Dan posted.
If you are interested, PM me.

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 08:55:59 AM »
I made this OLED breakout board for the F8-PB or F8-B expansion headers?  I borrowed CaptainMurdoch's Pi design.  It uses pins 3 (Gnd), 4 (V+), 14 (SCL), 16 (SDA) on the expansion slot.  Is anyone interested in some of these?  I am gonna place an order for them and will have alot of extras that I could give away free.  I was trying to figure out how much interest there would be for this.  It does NOT work directly on a Beagle header.  It would only be useful for previous versions of Dan's boards since the new ones will have an OLED header present.  This is designed so that the OLED will sit over top of the SD card on a Pocket Beagle.  On a F8-B, the oled would be about the same place that it is located in the F8-Bv2.1 that Dan posted.
If you are interested, PM me.

Jus to be clear, it would ONLY work on the F8-PB, not the F8-B.   The F8-B uses different pins for I2C and those pins are not routed to the expansion header at all.   

Online Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2019, 02:43:59 PM »

Are the i2c pins on the PocketScroller also in use, or are they there if one wanted to connect an OLED to them?

The pocketscroller uses every single gpio that's possible to be used on the PocketBeagle.  :(

That said, on master, we only configure the pins for GPIO if that output  actually has panels connected to it.   Thus, if you wanted to use an OLED, you would have to make sure no panels are connected to output 5 (which is where the I2C pins are multiplexed to).  Thus, you could try connecting it to pins 6 (SDA) and 5 (SCL) to the output 5 socket.   Pins 16 and 4 are ground.  The problem will be getting a vcc.  3.3v is on pins P1-14 and P2-23 of the PB, but those aren't pulled out anywhere.    Most of the OLED's are ok with 5V so you could uses that, but if it has pull up resistors on the sda/sca, it could be a problem.

Dan, could not got the pocketscroller to work with 5V and did not want to tap the 3.3 on the PB itself.  My solution was to use a 5-3.3 VDC buck converter to get the 3.3V.  Socket 5: I got SDA(6) SCL(5) and GRD(4), then Grd and VCC from the buck converter.  (Tied grounds)  Added a 1" hole in the back of my P5 box, and filled with a 1" round acrylic plastic. Remoted mounted OLED (with ribbon cable) in front of 1" sight glass hole.

Not sure I need them, but really nice to have.