Author Topic: Updates to full size BBB controllers in the group buy....  (Read 998 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 77
Re: Updates to full size BBB controllers in the group buy....
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 04:40:48 PM »
Even better. Look like you'd really only need the stacking pins on one row of P2, could use standard height headers for the other row of P2 - using 1x headers as Sawdust suggested.

Looks like you'd just need P2-9,11,21,23? Or would it be on I2C2 over on P1-26,28? In which case you'd need P1-14,16,26,28... still a single row.

You need P1-26/28, not the pins on P2.     The full size beagles really just expose I2C2 (getting to I2C1 is harder) so most of the code I've worked on assume I2C2 on the beagles.   

Dan Kulp

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 05:46:45 AM »
Would this be an ok place to request selectable Renard/DMX on the serial outputs.  Most other controller offer that.  Hopping it is already included, just needs to be identified and guider to settings.

Online Emuney18

Updates to full size BBB controllers in the group buy....
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 06:58:40 PM »

Which pin is 1 on the expansion header?  I ordered an oled to try attaching to PB board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 118
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 09:11:23 PM »
Look on the back side of the PCB. The square solder pad is #1

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 43
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 09:15:55 AM »
I've also changed the I2C header to allow dropping on an OLED display IF you get the right pinout.  There are apparently two different pinouts.  One is V-G-C-D and the other s G-V-C-D.  The header uses the G-V-C-D pinout.    If looking at OLED's on amazon, be careful.   Example:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F5JKXD9  would work.   https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8JT1ZZ would work (smaller).   https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DX6N9K3 would NOT.   

Dan,

If we want to try adding an OLED to PocketBeagle boards, does that mean we *could* use OLEDs with the different pinout since we have to manually wire the individual pins on the PB boards anyway?
-Mark

Online Emuney18

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2019, 03:21:00 PM »
Okay who wants to design a simple breakout board to plug into the PB-F8 expansion port that has a 4 pin header for the oled?   I have never made a board or I would do it.  It would only need holes for an 8x2 header on the bottom and traces from  the 4 pins to 4 holes on top for a header.  I would definitely buy some. If no one wants to do it I might be able to get a coworker to do it.

Offline dloftis

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2019, 09:40:24 PM »
Okay who wants to design a simple breakout board to plug into the PB-F8 expansion port that has a 4 pin header for the oled?   I have never made a board or I would do it.  It would only need holes for an 8x2 header on the bottom and traces from  the 4 pins to 4 holes on top for a header.  I would definitely buy some. If no one wants to do it I might be able to get a coworker to do it.

I'd want Dan to confirm I've got the pins right here, but it would be a super simple board. As shown you'd put a 40 pin female header on the bottom of the board, and a 4 pin female header on the top side.... choosing from the two sets of holes depending on which direction you want the screen to be oriented. (Or populate them both for flexibility.)

The board is small enough that you could get about 50 of them on elecrow or seeed's $5 deal. Add a few bucks per board for headers.

You'd need a 40 pin female like this: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sullins-connector-solutions/SFH11-PBPC-D20-ST-BK/S9200-ND/1990093

Dan - do I have this right? If so I'll just share this file and if anyone wants to have some made they're welcome to.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 77
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 09:42:12 AM »

That looks correct.   I'd probably shift thing over and only use a 2x10 (20 pin) header to make it even smaller.   :)

50 would probably cover everyone that would ever want/need one.    This won't be necessary with the group buy boards (and won't work anyway) as there have been enough orders to justify a re-layout/adjustment so the group buy boards will have the 4 pin header. (at the expense of two of the mounting holes)  (see screen shot)

Offline dloftis

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 03:01:34 PM »

That looks correct.   I'd probably shift thing over and only use a 2x10 (20 pin) header to make it even smaller.   :)

50 would probably cover everyone that would ever want/need one.    This won't be necessary with the group buy boards (and won't work anyway) as there have been enough orders to justify a re-layout/adjustment so the group buy boards will have the 4 pin header. (at the expense of two of the mounting holes)  (see screen shot)

I thought about a smaller header but thought having it keyed might be beneficial to prevent it being inserted backwards.

50's a guess, haven't played with panelizing it - but think you could get 10 of them on a 100mm x 100mm board.

I attached the eagle files here if someone wants to do something with them. This was a <5 minute effort, so no guarantees to anyone who uses them... but it's a simple enough board that there shouldn't be much trouble. Probably worth adding some detail on the silkscreen.

Also - I have no idea if the OLED would have any clearance issues over the pocketbeagle if you were to choose that orientation... so... don't yell at me if it doesn't fit! ;)

Online Emuney18

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 07:11:43 PM »
I tried connecting a oled to the F8-PB expansion header using header wires.  Switched to the master branch and selected the oled under settings.  Nothing happened after a power cycle.  I tried all combos of the BBB cape options with and without expansion selected and still nothing.  Is there something I'm missing?  I only have 1 oled currently and I haven't tried it on just a PB or Pi to verify that it works

Online Emuney18

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 07:00:08 PM »
Anyone had success doing this?  Anyone know how I can test the scl and sda pins?

Offline dloftis

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 07:10:54 PM »
Anyone had success doing this?  Anyone know how I can test the scl and sda pins?

Yes, I had no problem getting it to work (on a full size BBB).

Which pins do you have connected to what? And at the risk of underlining the obvious, you do have +3V3 and GND connected as well as SCL and SDA, right?

Online Emuney18

« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »
I am connecting to pin 3 ground, pin 4 5V and 14 and 16.  I verified I'm getting 5V.  I just got a new OLED so we will see. If that doesn't work I'll try one of the other boards I have and try it on a Pi.  I haven't had much time to tinker with it yet.

Offline dloftis

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
I am connecting to pin 3 ground, pin 4 5V and 14 and 16.  I verified I'm getting 5V.  I just got a new OLED so we will see. If that doesn't work I'll try one of the other boards I have and try it on a Pi.  I haven't had much time to tinker with it yet.

You don't have any ports enabled that would be using the expansion header do you?

Online Emuney18

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 02:25:57 PM »
No. I intend to just use the 8 pixel outputs on board.  I picked the setting without serial outputs first.  I also tried the other settings.  I have suspicion the oled is the culprit.