Author Topic: Port Assignments  (Read 369 times)

Offline Dennismz51

• Kudos: 0
Port Assignments
« on: February 19, 2019, 10:57:11 AM »
I'm trying to figure out my port assignments, the question that arises is this, say I have 4 canes all tied one to the next, and the universes are assigned, when I determine which port I want the 1st cane to start on, will all the rest of the canes work from the 1 connection callout, or do I have to assign the same port number to each cane?

Attached screen shot

Thanks
Dennis

Offline Reys Dad

• Kudos: 1
Re: Port Assignments
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 06:02:00 PM »
Assuming you are not using any expansion cards the max you can assign to any one port is 1024 pixels. If you have more than that or are using an expansion card you will need to use multiple ports. If you are using expansion ports check the slider on the string ports tab of the F16 will tell you the max pixels for the main board/expansions (and allow you to adjust)
If I recall correctly you would assign the same port number to strings that are connected together

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 08:03:01 AM »
In XLights, when you use Relative addressing (that is where you say one model comes after the next, and that is how you have yours set up) all the relative addressing is just for creating an address for each pixel in each prop. You could have every model in your show setup as following the next one and span several ports. Technically, you do not need to assign a controller connection in Xlights and as long as everything else (Controllers,FPP etc.) is set up correctly, it will work. But it is advisable to assign port connections. That way you can use XLights to the full potential, like use XLights to setup your controllers!
Another thing to consider, you might want to control the brightness of your ports from the controller itself. If you set the brightness in XLights then the only way to change the brightness would be to change the brightness and then re-render every sequence and then re-upload then to the controllers. If you set the brightness in the controller, then you can change the brightness on the fly. You can even change it while the show is running. 
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline Dennismz51

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 01:19:13 PM »
Thanks, I thought the ports would work that way, my MegaTree did that all by itself. Thanks for the tip on the brightness, Ill change that.

Dennis