Author Topic: Dante audio protcol over IP  (Read 764 times)

Offline sklankowski

• Kudos: 0
    • Rotary Lights
Re: Dante audio protcol over IP
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2019, 03:04:16 PM »
Looking to test Audinate ADP-USB-AU-2X2 adapter, but now what to output to 3.5mm output in unison with the USB.  Will FPP allow this dual audio output?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2019, 03:20:02 PM »
You should be able to create a custom .asoundrc file that will use ALSA to output to separate audio devices.

Here are a couple links to get you going:

http://www.6by9.net/output-to-multiple-audio-devices-with-alsa/
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=96138
-
Chris

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2019, 02:04:57 PM »
I am not at liberty to say which stadium (agreement signed in order to see all the 'back stage stuff'), but I just got a crash course in "BIG".  The letters OMG don't even come close.  Literally thousands of devices, with full routing from any device to any other device, or ALL devices.  WOW.

Talking with the head tech for the stadium, I asked the direct question, "why doesn't this work across wireless".  The answer received was simple. The amount of handshaking going back and forth requires the wired network's speed (Gig, minimum) to keep the protocol from dropping the connection.  Even if the wireless connection is quickly re-established, the amount of information that would pass to get the sound running again is very "choppy".  (The tech's exact words.)

On the side of "hope in the future", as wireless gets faster and faster, there is a chance that it will work - and perhaps soon. 

As soon as it does, I'll have a few of them on each of my speaker clusters.

Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline TypingOffKey

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 09:11:18 AM »
Has anyone tested the Dante USB adapter with FPP yet? I just checked online and several places are offering it for $99. This seems like a GREAT solution for wide audio distribution, which I too am very interested in.