Author Topic: ATX power connections would be nice  (Read 754 times)

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
ATX power connections would be nice
« on: July 14, 2014, 04:01:12 PM »
I know this has been discussed previously and probably is one of those "agree to disagree" issues ... but is there any plans to offer an ATX power supply connection on the Falcon boards?

I'm just not a fan of using cheap, ineffecient (and loud) power supplies from China.  I really strongly prefer the 80plus rated ATX supplies and just plugging them in to the boards.  Yes, I dislike the massive bundle of wires that come with them, but I put it in the box and forget about it.

I know you offer an ATX board, but it seems like those add on boards add a lot more cost than the ATX parts (for the board) would have.

Anyways, excellent designs and maybe its just my problem (probably is) ... but I really like the ATX power approach used on the DLA stuff.  I think it offers a lot more free market choices in the power supplies you can use ... more efficiency and less noise if thats important to you.

Scott

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
Re: ATX power connections would be nice
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 04:51:43 PM »
We may come out with an ATX version of the hub.

The Falcon 16 V2 controller is designed to power pixels that are 5v, 12v and 24v both 3 and 4 wire so I cannot use an ATX power supply input. If i added one it would also make the board to big to fit in a CG-1500 case with a power supply next to it like the current controller can.

The Falcon 8 is not ATX similar to Zeus 8.

If an ATX power supply input does not included P4 or P6 (PCIx) connectors the amount of wires used to power board may be reduced to only three wires. Two in the 24 pin connector and possible one in the three 4 pin old hard drive connectors. Many new power supplies connect the old hard drive connectors on a single wire. So the current may be limited to under 24amps. The wires used in power supplies are usually rated to 8 amps at 12V.

If we made a design that had ATX we would most likely choose to use P4 and P6 connectors and drop the old hard drive connectors.
The extra cost of using the ATX board is the price of the board and two dc connectors which comes to $6.00. I would not populate the old hard drive or 5V connectors on ATX board and save $3.50.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:04:49 PM by David Pitts »
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 05:38:16 PM »
Thanks David ... I figured you had reasons on you do!

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »
More of the PC power supplies are increasingly having SATA-only connectors.  I like the P4 + P6.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro