Author Topic: Configuring the F8-P / F9-PB with Vixen 3 and DMX (or Renard)  (Read 267 times)

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
Configuring the F8-P / F9-PB with Vixen 3 and DMX (or Renard)
« on: February 24, 2019, 09:33:55 AM »
Vixen 3 user (too old and to switch to xLights) looking for information on how to setup-up FPP for F8-P or PB
I think if I was just Pixels I would ok, but my Renard becomes an issue.

First, can I run RENARD or do I need to change the firmware to DMX (I can do this but painful)

What does FPP need from Vixen 3 to define the Pixels and DMX(Renard) together to the same FPP BeagleBone
 - -Let say I have 1536 channels of pixels and 10 channels of DMX/Renard.
  - Do I define 1 controller as 1.31 and another as DMX/Renard,
  - or just one controller including both pixels and DMX/Renard

Assuming the above is clarified, how do I setup the FPP channel output/BBB Strings
I think I get the pixel output, but when and how are the Serial outputs defined.....are they the ones following the last pixels?

Trying to get my arms around this while waiting delivery of Dan's controllers.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
Re: Configuring the F8-P / F9-PB with Vixen 3 and DMX (or Renard)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 09:56:38 AM »
Vixen 3 user (too old and to switch to xLights) looking for information on how to setup-up FPP for F8-P or PB
I think if I was just Pixels I would ok, but my Renard becomes an issue.

First, can I run RENARD or do I need to change the firmware to DMX (I can do this but painful)

At this point, the BBB based things only support DMX and PixelNet, not Renard.   Thus, you would need to flip to DMX firmwares.

What does FPP need from Vixen 3 to define the Pixels and DMX(Renard) together to the same FPP BeagleBone

Assuming the above is clarified, how do I setup the FPP channel output/BBB Strings
I think I get the pixel output, but when and how are the Serial outputs defined.....are they the ones following the last pixels?

Trying to get my arms around this while waiting delivery of Dan's controllers.

From the Vixen side, it would ONLY be a e1.31 controller with as many universes as it needs. I don't know enough about the Vixen patching thing (always found it super confusing) so I don't know how to do it, but basically the 10 "dmx" channels would just be 10 channels in a e1.31 universe.   On the FPP side, you would just set the appropriate start channel number for the needed DMX output. 

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 10:45:46 AM »
I good with patching Vixen to output to FPP via fseq....but how do i define what channels go SERIAL

Let's say the show consist of 2 F8-PB.
First 510 pixels, but 2 ports of DMX.   8 DMX and 24 DMX
Second is 510 Pixel and 8 DMX

Assume I need to patch and send fseq data to FPP as 510 Pixels, 32 DMX, 510 Pixels 8 DMX
Then define first controller as Start 1, 510 of pixels and 32 DMX start channels as #1-1 and #2-25
Then define second controller as Start 543, 510 of pixels and 8 DMX start #1-1

Am I on target or left field

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 11:56:04 AM »

I think I get the pixel output, but when and how are the Serial outputs defined.....are they the ones following the last pixels

I don't use Renard, but I do use Vixen3 and DMX with FPP controllers.     In Vixen, all of Dan's controllers would be set up as E1.31 (Streaming ACN) controllers.   

If you are running pixels and DMX off the same controller, then you define that as one E1.31 controller in Vixen3.
In FPP you just tell it where to output the channels.  If your DMX are channels 1-10 then you tell FPP to output channels 1-10 on the DMX output port
-Mark

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 12:26:47 PM »
Pixelpuppy, thanks for coming to my rescue....my issue is FPP screen BBB Strings, and how to define the DMX.

DMX has number of channels and 4 Ports where I can list start channels, but not how how many in that port.

What does "Num DMX Channels:   512" signafy? 

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 01:11:50 PM »
Its the same with the DMX outputs on the Falcon controllers.  You can start any serial port on any absolute channel, but if its set for DMX protocol it will always send a stream of 512 channels starting with the one you specify.   Also note that if you tell FPP to start on channel 101, it will send out channel data for absolute channels 101-612.    Absolute channel 101 gets sent 1st and the DMX device set with DMX address 1 will get absolute channel 101 data.  The DMX device set with DMX address 2 will get absolute channel 102 data, etc.

Offline Sawdust

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 02:34:28 PM »
Thanks again pixelpuppy. . . . I think I got it.