Author Topic: Thanks for being at the Academy guys.  (Read 4944 times)

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
Re: Thanks for being at the Academy guys.
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 06:40:46 AM »
Yapp!!  (damn day job keeps getting in the way)
Jerry Plak

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 06:52:11 AM »
I"m here to tell you that even retiring does not stuff from getting the way.  yOuve probably heard retired folks say that they don't have enough time to get everything done.  I never believed that until I now when I am living it.  It does give you more freedom to set priorities though.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2014, 08:23:31 AM »
It does give you more freedom to set priorities though, But you are keeping you busy and not watching watching TV soap opera...
I am looking forward retiring to have more freedom to set priorities though :)

By the way: we need to get back on right track for this posting "Thanks for being at the Academy guys"  ;)

Offline Voltorb

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 07:55:35 PM »
None of the FPP instances at the academy had the right time if I recall and they stayed in perfect sync because the sync protocol is not time based.  It is frame based, the master says "I am on frame 55" and the slave reads that sync packet and does what it needs to speed up or slow down to match the master's playback.  They are not in perfect sync down to the microsecond but they are probably within a few milliseconds of each other normally I estimate.  I need to do some timing tests sometime but that is just out of curiosity because to the eye I think they are in near-perfect sync.
If you introduce 25ms or so of latency by connecting houses together do you start to run into timing issues? I'd be willing to plug open some ports on the firewall here at home if someone wants to set a Guinness book of records on the furthest synched xmas light display.

I'd love to be a part of a cross country event!  Sounds like fun. You guys rocked the Academy!
John

Offline danj

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 08:00:32 PM »
+1 here.  Thank you so much for taking the time to present topics and to setup all the stuff at the academy.  And thank you even more for all the Falcon products!!!

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
+1 here.  Thank you so much for taking the time to present topics and to setup all the stuff at the academy.  And thank you even more for all the Falcon products!!!
Christmas in july is this Friday...  too soon for a cross-country event?   :o ...probably.
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2014, 08:17:44 PM »
I am still thinking about the code for the remote pinging the master to determine the latency, but a cross-country event would be more spectacular if each location had synchronized audio or video.  :)

-
Chris

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
how about something simple?  single string effect applied over arches.  each person could have one string of lights from a shared model, each string beginning at a separate channel, all part of a single model.

WORLD-WIDE-ARCHES
20 strings of 100 pixels.

channel 1-300 - captain
channel 301-600 - steve
channel 601-900 - tbd
channel 901-1200 - tbd
etc.

if we could also get our web cams to show these in a video conference... cool stuff.  watching lights hop from one arch/city to the next arch/city.  ;D

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2014, 08:44:54 PM »
That would be neat.  Something to think about...

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 03:44:13 AM »
July will work for me if it's arches - count me in for the 601-900 range :)

If there is an iPhone app then I think I could film it, but not sure Captain wants to start developing a synced video stream too does he? Unless there is a way with team viewer to coordinate this....

how about something simple?  single string effect applied over arches.  each person could have one string of lights from a shared model, each string beginning at a separate channel, all part of a single model.

WORLD-WIDE-ARCHES
20 strings of 100 pixels.

channel 1-300 - captain
channel 301-600 - steve
channel 601-900 - tbd
channel 901-1200 - tbd
etc.

if we could also get our web cams to show these in a video conference... cool stuff.  watching lights hop from one arch/city to the next arch/city.  ;D
Ryan

Offline nvizzini

• Kudos: 0
Re: Thanks for being at the Academy.
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2014, 08:14:27 AM »
Hi
I would like to thank all of Falcon Christmas for all your hard work and help at the Academy; and thanks Dave, for taking the time to talk to me on the phone. I enjoyed meeting and talking with you all at your booth and in class.  I appreciate how much you give to this community.

thanks so much
nvizzini
Nicholas Vizzini
Wichita Falls,  TX