Author Topic: How to control a basic battery powered prop?  (Read 90 times)

Offline Reys Dad

• Kudos: 1
How to control a basic battery powered prop?
« on: March 11, 2019, 03:36:19 PM »
Does anyone have any suggestions on the simplest way to control one of these props? Its the kind that works on motion control or a try me button.  I want to have this guy start & stop playing his banjo during a portion of a sequence. Could it be as simple as running a 5v DC adapter from one of my LOR channels and wiring the 5v end into the props battery box or do you also need to do something with a GPIO relay to trigger it? If so how do you setup to trigger it in xlights?

https://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Prop-Description-Background-Gathering/dp/B00O2ZT0SC?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffhp-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00O2ZT0SC

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 49
Re: How to control a basic battery powered prop?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »
The GPIO relay is the best method with the relay connected to the try me connection.  The first thing that I would do is check to see if the try me button starts and stops the prop or just starts it.  Set up your prop and hit the try me button.  While the prop is doing its thing, press the button again and see if it stops, resets and starts again, ir just keeps running.  This will determine what you need to do to have full control over the prop and once I know how it reacts, we can set up your prop for full control from xlights.

Offline Reys Dad

• Kudos: 1
Re: How to control a basic battery powered prop?
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 01:33:28 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I still need to order the prop. Once I have it I'll check the try me button and feedback