Author Topic: How to control a basic battery powered prop?  (Read 1362 times)

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
Re: How to control a basic battery powered prop?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 07:05:36 AM »
The channel number being referred to is the absolute channel number and that number does not use or care about universe numbers.  I'm not sure about the newest versions of xlights but in the ones I used, when you are setting up your show, you assign channel numbers to props and strings that you are putting into the show starting with channel one and going up from there.  This is the absolute channel number and whatever channel number you assign to your prop in xlights is the same number that you set up to control the GPIO in FPP.  The universe/channel combination is a packaging method to send channel numbers that are higher than 512 out to the light controllers because e1.31 channel numbers cannot exceed 512.  If you look at the e1.31 configuration in FPP, you can see where the absolute channel numbers are broken up into smaller packs and these packs are assigned universe numbers with the channels in them starting from one up to 512.  Since the channel number for the prop is being directly used by FPP, there is no need to assign to a universe and it can be used as it.

Offline Reys Dad

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 09:09:08 AM »
Ok, I see. So I have a Lor controller on universe 1 channels 1-16 and then my falcon stuff starts on universe 100 channel 1. So I should be able to use any absolute channel between 18 and 50,688 correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline tbone321

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 09:50:05 AM »
I would say between 17 and whatever since your LOR controller is using channels 1 thru 16.  Like I said before, a universe is just a method of placing the data into packets and the universe number is just a method of identification of those packets.  Since the PI and FPP will be processing that channel directly, there is no transmission or packaging involved so all that is needed is the actual or absolute channel number.  In my show{s}, I reserve the first 512 channels for single channel DMX type controllers and all the pixel and node type props start at 513.  I don't have 512 channels worth of single channel props or 3 channel DMX flood lights yet but having the reserved space just makes it easier for me to add, move, and remove them later without having single channel props or holes scattered in my show data.  It might not matter much to some but it makes it easier for me to see what is going on. 

Offline Reys Dad

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
Thanks, I understand a little better now

Offline Reys Dad

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2019, 09:49:36 PM »
Got it working tonight! Thanks Tbone

Offline tbone321

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2019, 09:25:03 PM »
No problem, glad I could help