Author Topic: Spacing out universes  (Read 423 times)

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 4
    • Newburgh Lights
Re: Spacing out universes
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 08:39:07 PM »
I think that depends on what is "easier".  To me, the FPP (and I gather xLights) "channel number" makes no sense at all.  So saying that not using universe data is easier only means that the real data is being hidden from the end user.
I am not sure what you are saying here, but OK

Sorry, I quoted the wrong thing.  I was intending to quote the following:
On the flip side, I'm 90% sure that if you ask either myself, Keith, or Dave Pitts (basically, 3 of the people that are the biggest experts in the low level parts of both xLights and the hardware),  we'd all agree that exposing the concepts of universes to the users was a huge mistake and something we wish we hadn't done years ago.  :(   
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline Kensington Graves

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 10:23:44 PM »
In this hobby, I stress that there is "A way" and not "THE Way" and you have the pick whichever "A way" works for you.

Heresy and blasphemy! :)

Do whatever makes sense to you until you learn a better way or need to change the scheme for some reason.  IMO, its more important to get the display working in a manner you understand than it is to strive for technical perfection.  In my case, absolute addressing made sense to me and I largely ignore universes except as needed for controller settings.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 81
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2019, 06:03:17 AM »
Sorry, I quoted the wrong thing.  I was intending to quote the following:
On the flip side, I'm 90% sure that if you ask either myself, Keith, or Dave Pitts (basically, 3 of the people that are the biggest experts in the low level parts of both xLights and the hardware),  we'd all agree that exposing the concepts of universes to the users was a huge mistake and something we wish we hadn't done years ago.  :(   

I didn't say absolute addressing was any better, just that universe addressing was a mistake.  ;)

Seriously, where we are TRYING to go is that the only thing a user needs to know about is that "I have 4 candy canes plugged into port 3 on the F16v3 by the front door" or "I have pixel icicles plugged into port 5 of the F8-B by the Garage".   That's it.   Users shouldn't need to know anything about channel numbers, universes, etc...   You setup a controller (which we're also working on detecting) and then attach models to it.   xLights completely handles assigning channel numbers and such and then pushes the information to the controller.  Users won't need to even know what a channel number is.   

Dan Kulp

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2019, 07:02:53 AM »
As an "after work web developer", I have run into another instance where "for the betterment of the masses" is being used to shove change in our direction.  That isn't going all that well. (Forced changes to WordPress.)

I hope your version of it goes better.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 09:07:18 AM »
I didn't say absolute addressing was any better, just that universe addressing was a mistake.  ;)
In that case, I apparently read more into the statement than you intended.
Seriously, where we are TRYING to go is that the only thing a user needs to know about is that "I have 4 candy canes plugged into port 3 on the F16v3 by the front door" or "I have pixel icicles plugged into port 5 of the F8-B by the Garage".   That's it.   Users shouldn't need to know anything about channel numbers, universes, etc...   You setup a controller (which we're also working on detecting) and then attach models to it.   xLights completely handles assigning channel numbers and such and then pushes the information to the controller.  Users won't need to even know what a channel number is.   
To be honest,  disagree with you.  This is a technical hobby.  Dumbing it down only means the people who can't understand it can get a foot in the door and then need massive help to be able to accomplish anything without understanding what they are doing.  We've seen the same thing with amateur radio over the decades.  The license testing has been dumbed down enough that there are lots of hams that can hardly figure out how to turn on a radio - let alone use it.
It also locks people into one brand of controllers (at least for now)...

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 06:19:25 AM »
[quote author=k6ccc link=topic=10747.msg97264#msg97264 date
To be honest,  disagree with you.  This is a technical hobby.  Dumbing it down only means the people who can't understand it can get a foot in the door and then need massive help to be able to accomplish anything without understanding what they are doing.  We've seen the same thing with amateur radio over the decades.  The license testing has been dumbed down enough that there are lots of hams that can hardly figure out how to turn on a radio - let alone use it.

I disagree with this.  Removing restriction to entry is good for the hobby. I can not imagine doing this without the improvements the the FPP team, xLights team, LOR, CFOL, DIYLedexpress and many more have done over the years.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »
K6CC, I agree with Kstate fan. Three years ago when I jumped into this from the LOR AC world I knew essentially nothing about RGB and pixel controllers. As I acquired pixels, controllers and software and started using it I figured it out by reading and watching videos from those of you who went ahead of me. I asked very few questions on these forums when I started. I did not require massive help to get this figured out. Learned by trial and error. Never heard of Raspberry pi before this. Never heard of FPP but with the info Chris and Dan have out there I figured it out without massive help. Do I understand everything that makes this hobby work? No. Will I ever? Probably not. But I had the ambition to try to figure it out and not come into this expecting to buy a box of stuff plug it in and viola, it works. Give people who are new to this a little bit of credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 11:52:56 AM »
Todd, you actually supported my position more than you think you did.  YOU made the effort to learn.  You read, you watched videos.  You took the ambition to figure it out.  I'm largely talking about the "I plugged my lights into a controller and plugged in the controller and the lights didn't do anything" crowd.  And yes, I have seen forum posts like that.  That's the ones that take the massive help - and often still won't learn what they are doing.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 122
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 05:54:11 PM »
I'm largely talking about the "I plugged my lights into a controller and plugged in the controller and the lights didn't do anything" crowd.  And yes, I have seen forum posts like that. 

They mostly ask questions in the Facebook groups. I don't spend much time in those groups.