Author Topic: Running FPP on BBB and get when error when trying to update FPP to latest ver  (Read 842 times)

Offline dhollida55

• Kudos: 0

Hello there,  I get the following message when I try to update from ver 2.5.3 to the latest version which I believe is 2.6?   I'm running FPP on a Beagle Bone Black.  I also have a Pi which I have been able to update it to the latest version 2.6.
FPP Manual Update
Stopping fppd...
 ==========================================================================
Pulling in updates...
Can not access github, unable to pull git updates
Restarting fppd...
Update Complete.
Go to FPP Main Status Page
Go back to FPP About page

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Dennis

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Check your DNS settings.  If you only have a static IP configured, you must configure a static DNS address.  If you are using DHCP, make sure the DNS setting is set to DHCP as well.
-
Chris

Offline dhollida55

Thank you for the response Captain.  I do have it set to a static address of 192.168.0.120.   I assume that the DNS setting would be 192.168.0.1.  But you know what happens when one assumes.   So I'm incorrect in my assumption, then what should I set the DNS to?

Thank you,
Dennis

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
Thank you for the response Captain.  I do have it set to a static address of 192.168.0.120.   I assume that the DNS setting would be 192.168.0.1.  But you know what happens when one assumes.   So I'm incorrect in my assumption, then what should I set the DNS to?

It would really depend on what the DNS is for your setup.   A "safe" bet is to use 8.8.8.8 as long as the BBB/Pi can properly reach the internet. 

Offline dhollida55

I'm talking to the BBB on my laptop which is connected to my home network.  I tried the setting you suggested and still no luck.  Also for my show player I have a Pi which I was able to successfully update it to 2.6.  So still not sure what I'm doing wrong.  Is there a way to download the latest version and update FPP from my laptop? 

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
You have a network setting wrong somewhere. Send us a screen shot of your network settings page, both the wlan0 and eth0. How is your BBB connected to your network? Is it wireless or hardwired to a switch, or something else?
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline dhollida55

I've attached a copy of my Network settings page.  I have a BBB and it doesn't have Wifi.  Currently I'm connected to it through my laptop on my home network.  I also have a Pi that does have WiFi which I plan to use as my show controller.  And the BBB will be, I guess you'd call it a slave.  And I'm running a P10 Panel from the BBB.  The BBB has an octoscroller.  I purchased the P10 panel as a kit.

Offline mac50

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
I've attached a copy of my Network settings page.  I have a BBB and it doesn't have Wifi.  Currently I'm connected to it through my laptop on my home network.  I also have a Pi that does have WiFi which I plan to use as my show controller.  And the BBB will be, I guess you'd call it a slave.  And I'm running a P10 Panel from the BBB.  The BBB has an octoscroller.  I purchased the P10 panel as a kit.
I don't see any errors. Reboot if you have not tried that

Offline dhollida55

I've rebooted and still no luck.  Is there a way to update without going through the about/manual update button?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
I've rebooted and still no luck.  Is there a way to update without going through the about/manual update button?

There was some work awhile back on having a "master" FPP session that could then update the Remotes. Not sure where that stands.

But, for now, if an FPP can't reach Github over the internet, it doesn't update.

Rather than connecting that BBB to your laptop, it will more likely succeed if connected to your home router. It is unlikely that your laptop will handle the routing needed.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
There was some work awhile back on having a "master" FPP session that could then update the Remotes. Not sure where that stands.
I believe the underlying ability to do that will be in 2.7, but I don't think there will be a UI/Frontend setting for it yet.  Not really sure though.   

If you have at least one Pi/BBB that was able to get to the internet to update, you can probably go the command line and do something like:

Code: [Select]
cd /opt/fpp
sudo git remote add fpp-other ssh://fpp@fpp-other/opt/fpp
sudo git pull fpp-other
fpp-other is the other instances hostname or ip address. It will likely ask for the fpp password.     From there, go to the /developer.php page and you should be able to select branches on the "fpp-other".     

Note, this is NOT tested.   It may not work.   For one: it will likely NOT work at all for Pi's as Pi's use external git repos for things like rpi_ws281x. BBB's do not.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator

There is a script in the script repository for updating a FPP instance to pull its git updates from another FPP instance on the network:  System/UpdateGitRepoOrigin.sh

I'm still not sure if it's something I want to expose in the UI.  If we do expose it in the UI, it should probably be more than a simple text setting, more along the line of picking a FPP instance from a list.

Offline dhollida55

Thank you for following up on this.  I've never run a script before.  What are the steps?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
Thank you for following up on this.  I've never run a script before.  What are the steps?

You don't need to run it, it is for users with multiple FPP instances on the same network and you want one to pull updates from another.

What happens when you click the 'ping' button beside the Gateway IP address on the FPP network config screen?

Offline dhollida55

Thank you again Captain,

I've attached a screen shot of the error I'm getting.   So I'm assuming that I'll need to connect my BBB to the router directly?