Author Topic: Can I put 2 4 port Differential Expansion boards on the Falcon F16v3  (Read 8137 times)

Offline Camphouse

• Kudos: 0
Have a Falcon F16v3 with one 4 port Differential Expansion board connected. Can I add a second 4 port Differential Expansion board? If so will the Meanwell 350 power supply be enough to handle the additional board?

Running 100 12v pixels on each of the F16v3 ports so 1600 pixels on the controller.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:00:01 AM by Camphouse »
Thanks,
Chester

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
Re: Can I put 2 4 port Differential Expansion boards on the Falcon F16v3
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 04:22:58 AM »
I do not think one meanwell power supply is enough for what you have now.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 06:30:52 AM »
Have a Falcon F16v3 with one 4 port Differential Expansion board connected. Can I add a second 4 port Differential Expansion board? If so will the Meanwell 350 power supply be enough to handle the additional board?

Running 100 12v pixels on each of the F16v3 ports so 1600 pixels on the controller.

The 4 port Differential Expansion board draws minimal power from the F16v3, perhaps an amp or two, supplied via the ribbon cable.

A second board can be connected (set the jumpers correctly) BUT the second board will need its own power connection (but not a large supply) because the ribbon cable to that second board will not supply power, just data.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 02:25:36 PM »
Camphouse, Correct me if you are not asking the following:

"Can I have two expansion boards getting their commands from a single F16V3?"

The answer to this is no.  There is only one serial connection that has all 4 connections in it.  If you use all 4 in the first board, the remaining serial outputs are just duplicates of the individual outputs that you are already using.

The best way to connect more than one receiver is to use the differential expansion sender.  It will give you 4 outputs for receivers (16 total outputs).  You can even put a 5th one on the main board's output, if you need it.  (It takes a bit of manipulation to get them all 5 to work, but it isn't bad or hard.)

As far as the power supply, it depends on a lot of factors. (Number of pixels, maximum intensity you are driving them at, length of cable between the power supply and the receiver, etc.) Usually when you have that many pixels, a second power supply may be in order.   Or better yet, power supplies at the receiver boards.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline TxBillbr

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2019, 11:52:16 AM »
Maybe I am mis-reading the questions and answers, but I think there is some confusion here. When someone says "differential expansion" I am thinking about the controller expansion via ribbon cable. When someone says "differential receiver" I think about either the single differential to 4-pixel-port receiver or the new smart-receiver that can be daisy-chained. One the question the OP asked, it is my understanding that two expansion boards can be run from the F16V3 and have in fact run two differential expansions on the that controller.  I run my whole operation on 12V, so the 5V sources come from the F16V3 voltage regulator. The documentation seems to indicate this is all ok. Am I missing something here?

Bill

Offline TxBillbr

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2019, 12:00:16 PM »
From Dave's store website on the differential expansions "Two expansion boards can be used with F16V3 to allow up to 48 strings to be attached. "

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2019, 05:55:53 PM »
Yes you can run 2 differential expansion boards on 1 F16V3 as has been stated.  The second expansion board is daisy chained to the first board and requires a separate 5V 1 amp power source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 06:14:52 PM »
I think people are confusing the terminology as TxBillbr mentioned.
The Differential Expansion Board connects to the F16 via a ribbon cable and has 4 RJ45 ports so I am assuming this is what Camphouse is referring to. If so, then yes you can use 2 Differential Expansion boards, One can be powered by the F16 and the other one will need to receive external power. You mentioned that you have 12V pixels. The second expansion board will need to be powered by 5V so if you are using the same power supply as the pixels, then you will need a buck converter. 1600 pixels at full brightness will need 1200 watts of power alone. But we rarely use them on full white all the time and many people will turn down the brightness on dense props.
Is there a reason you are only using 100 pixels per port? And remember that the ports on the F16 are shared with the Differential Receivers.

I see emuney18 beat me to the punch!
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 09:00:37 PM »
The F16V3 can send to a single Differential Receiver without having to add the Differential Sender Board, using the onboard Serial RJ45 marked as "1".  We do this when we need a few more than the 16 native outputs on the board. 

The new "Smart Differential Receivers" have not been tested here for use (daisy chained) on Serial Output 1, but it would be reasonable to think they will work. (Note: We have received 8 of the Smart Boards and will be testing in the next couple of weeks.)

For more than one Differential Receiver (other than the Smart Differential Receiver) off of the F16V3, you need to add at least one of the Differential Sender boards - giving you 4 Receivers (16 outputs) off of it.