Author Topic: Can I put 2 4 port Differential Expansion boards on the Falcon F16v3  (Read 475 times)

Offline Camphouse

• Kudos: 0
Have a Falcon F16v3 with one 4 port Differential Expansion board connected. Can I add a second 4 port Differential Expansion board? If so will the Meanwell 350 power supply be enough to handle the additional board?

Running 100 12v pixels on each of the F16v3 ports so 1600 pixels on the controller.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 01:00:01 AM by Camphouse »
Thanks,
Chester

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
Re: Can I put 2 4 port Differential Expansion boards on the Falcon F16v3
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 04:22:58 AM »
I do not think one meanwell power supply is enough for what you have now.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 124
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 06:30:52 AM »
Have a Falcon F16v3 with one 4 port Differential Expansion board connected. Can I add a second 4 port Differential Expansion board? If so will the Meanwell 350 power supply be enough to handle the additional board?

Running 100 12v pixels on each of the F16v3 ports so 1600 pixels on the controller.

The 4 port Differential Expansion board draws minimal power from the F16v3, perhaps an amp or two, supplied via the ribbon cable.

A second board can be connected (set the jumpers correctly) BUT the second board will need its own power connection (but not a large supply) because the ribbon cable to that second board will not supply power, just data.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 02:25:36 PM »
Camphouse, Correct me if you are not asking the following:

"Can I have two expansion boards getting their commands from a single F16V3?"

The answer to this is no.  There is only one serial connection that has all 4 connections in it.  If you use all 4 in the first board, the remaining serial outputs are just duplicates of the individual outputs that you are already using.

The best way to connect more than one receiver is to use the differential expansion sender.  It will give you 4 outputs for receivers (16 total outputs).  You can even put a 5th one on the main board's output, if you need it.  (It takes a bit of manipulation to get them all 5 to work, but it isn't bad or hard.)

As far as the power supply, it depends on a lot of factors. (Number of pixels, maximum intensity you are driving them at, length of cable between the power supply and the receiver, etc.) Usually when you have that many pixels, a second power supply may be in order.   Or better yet, power supplies at the receiver boards.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!