Author Topic: can I start a sequence by a trigger/switch?  (Read 3347 times)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
Re: can I start a sequence by a trigger/switch?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 09:46:31 AM »
That's AWESOME! 

Let us know when the next home game is, I'd love to see in person!

I will check on the next home game, but this coming Saturday (Sep 27th) is our first Marching Band Competition: Legacy Marching Festival at Five Star Stadium across from Thornton High School. Performances all day from local bands. Legend is scheduled for a 2:30pm step off and they will announce who moves to the finals at 4:45pm.

I will try to get some video that I can share as well. It is pretty competitive in the band world and Mr. Otis (band director) is trying to keep it quiet so as not to advertise what we are doing until the last minute.

Brian
Brian

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »
Brian; there is so much more to this story.

Brian asked many months ago if he could make this large prop and drive it with falcon controllers and a FPP. Dave and I said yes. Brian then went and sold this idea to the Band director of Legend high school. Brian's son is part of the band. The band director had one caveat, the band sponsors would provide the money for the lights but they had to be ordered from an american source. Brian ordered his ink1003 12v strips months ago. Finally the strips arrived at the local vendor only to find out that china had sent that vendor 5v strips instead of 12v. Brian is now two weeks from the big Homecoming show, no lights. Band parents had been helping build the coroplast boxes in anticipation of the lights arriving, so much of the building had been done.

Brian gets in contact with Ray Wu. Ray sends off (50) 12v ink1003, (6) 12v power supplies, (100) 3 pin connectors.
We are now down to less than 10 days before the big show.

I contact Brian and tell him i will lend him 50 pairs of my connectors and he can pay me back when his arrive. Brian starts wiring connectors onto the controllers. He has (3) Falcon-16 v1 controllers. The display will be 48 4m strips arranged as a horizontal matrix.

I tell this story to Dave Pitts about a week ago. Dave's response? He says he will go up to Brians house and help with the Falcon controllers and with the Pi player the night before the show. There are parts of this display that have never been done before. One of the big features is a push button mounted on the cg-1000. A band member will press this button at the right time in the show (2 1/2 minutes into a song) so that the animation sequence matches the crescendo for the big finale.
Dave is such a stand up guy!

Well, i cant be left out. So I also head over to Brians on Tursday night, big show is Friday night.

Thursday:
1) No lights yet mounted. All 48 lights do have the connectors on them so we should "just" need to mount them. Just drawing the horizontal lines for teh 48 strips takes 45 minutes.
2) pi player is not setup for the button to start a show. i write a little shell script, dave configures it in the pull down menus of the FPP web page
3) One falcon controller is not working. Brian has a spare
4) All controllers are down rev on firmware. We are at the high school doing this work. Dave drives to Brian's home to get a pickit 3. comes back and flashes all the controllers.
5) One of the parents drills a screw through the coro right through an IC. oops! half of the flex strip is now all white and unresponsive to data
6) instead of 16 strips, strip 13 got missed. we are now on strip 30. need to go back and fix it.
7) No sequence has been created in xlights yet.
8) A bug has been found in the FPP that keeps it from coming on line unless there is a ethernet connection.

Dave and I stayed to 2am, Brian stayed to 5am.

Friday: (Day of performance)
Brian has repaired all broken strips. It is decided that for this show , they will go with 32x108 pixels. No time to get full 48.
Brian creates sequences in xlights, shows conductor. He is blown away. He picks what he wants.
Cant fix bug in FPP needing a powered ethernet cable, Brian gets his daughter's laptop.Its not going to do anything, but with the cable plugged in FPP will power up and start.

Button is working perfectly.

All stuff gets loaded up at 3pm to be taken to football field.

Show starts at 7pm, Band performs at 8pm.

At appropriate place, a student pressed the button.
Lights worked, everyone is ecstatic.

No ONE knows how much they owe to Brian to have pulled a rabbit out of the hat (except all of us).

So Brain, amazing, awesome job!

Brian said the multimedia teacher wants to talk about also using this big display element.

sean

[attachment deleted by admin]
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »
Awesome.  Thanks for the update.  The video with crowd reaction audio will be great. :)

And one step missing from Sean's timeline.  Thanks to David & Tony's debugging, we were able to reproduce the bug related to starting up without the ethernet cable and it was fixed before the game on Friday but a little too late to roll out. :)
-
Chris

Offline smeighan

• Developer
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
Awesome.  Thanks for the update.  The video with crowd reaction audio will be great. :)

And one step missing from Sean's timeline.  Thanks to David & Tony's debugging, we were able to reproduce the bug related to starting up without the ethernet cable and it was fixed before the game on Friday but a little too late to roll out. :)

chris, u guys are awesome. you see a problem, u fix it.

yeah , you had the fix but so much was happening on friday for brian, not the least i think is no sleep. well, he is a fireman and i think they sleep all sort of weird hours.

bottom line, it was a success. there were many traps where this all could have gone wrong. of course, if that happened, i wouldn't tell the story
:)

sean

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 08:00:17 PM »
BRAVO!!!!!!!!!

Ryan

Offline smeighan

• Developer
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 08:14:39 PM »
Here is a 1 minute video from the next day, friday. Brian showing the conductor.
cell phone quality.
you can see that Brian has fixed all the bad lights and dave and I figured out how to get models to work.

BTW, this sign was laid out in a new way.
2 falcon-16's on the left handled rows 1-16, 33-48
1 falcon controller on the right handled rows 17-32

This means the middle 16 rows needed to be reversed but still not screw up the nutcracker effects. using falcon firmware to make strings count backwards for the middle 16 worked.

movie clip is here http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/images/Brian_Legend.3gp

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 08:29:48 PM »
Not that I need my matrix to be any bulkier, but I like the idea of coro on the top/front of it...add to the weather proofing.

How did the strips attach? Any pictures of the back side where all the PVC is connected together?

I'm getting excited, Ray told me my strips are heading to the post tomorrow...hopefully that queue isn't too slow and I get the lights early next week....so I could be putting my matrix back together next week if i'm lucky.

Anyways...that is just a brilliant build and looks to be top notch in terms of quality.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 08:46:39 PM »
To quote the esteemed Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together!"  :)

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 09:10:35 PM »
Not that I need my matrix to be any bulkier, but I like the idea of coro on the top/front of it...add to the weather proofing.

How did the strips attach? Any pictures of the back side where all the PVC is connected together?

I'm getting excited, Ray told me my strips are heading to the post tomorrow...hopefully that queue isn't too slow and I get the lights early next week....so I could be putting my matrix back together next week if i'm lucky.

Anyways...that is just a brilliant build and looks to be top notch in terms of quality.

Lights on the outside was a major concern of ours. This has to hold up for at least the band season. It gets moved inside and out twice a week for practice, transported with the other props to home football games and three band competitions. Another deciding factor was the Wednesday night before we had a chance to be on the football field at dusk before the lights were attached. We put two strips inside and two strips outside and sent the band director to the stadium. From that distance, he could not tell which set was which.

Against my better judgement, the lights are attached with clear packing tape. The prop crew had used it before with good luck. Time will tell on this one, but it has held up to the heat so far. I am more concerned about how it does in the cold though. The prop is only planned to be used for this one season as well and the tape allows for easy removal and repurposing if desired.

I could not have done this alone. I knew it was going to be a challenge, but I was pretty naive about the whole thing. Sean and David really saved me and the halftime show. I can't wait to see it this weekend at the first band competition.

Offline smeighan

• Developer
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 12:07:57 AM »

here are a couple more images
(note the time in the last picture, *smile*)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 12:52:43 AM »
Love it.  This us what makes all the time I spend on these projects/ideas that help others take what we provide make their dreams/ideas come to life!

Tony

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Offline pk

• Falcon Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 10:20:33 AM »
Sean - What program do I need to view the video with the .3gp extension?

Offline smeighan

• Developer
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 11:17:56 AM »
In my browser it launched quicktime