Author Topic: FPP 2.5 on a raspberry Pi 3 A+  (Read 400 times)

Offline Jo9t

• Kudos: 0
FPP 2.5 on a raspberry Pi 3 A+
« on: April 13, 2019, 03:11:51 PM »
I am very new and learn something every day . just found this site so have registered and now im here.
I have a raspberry Pi 3A+ and have just installed the FPP 2.5, but it says it is 2.2.  once entering the password you get a message that this is for developers or designers and if are not one of these try .UI  http fpp.local/.  the you are left with a prompt to type. similar to the dos prompt. it is something like  fpp@FPP $.      From here what do i type to start or get my Pi running in FPP.  thanking you for what help or advise you can provide.

Online Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
Re: FPP 2.5 on a raspberry Pi 3 A+
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2019, 03:25:32 PM »
close whatever you are looking at for FPP.  Open a WEB browser (Firefox or Chrome are best) Type FPP.local in the address bar.

Offline Jo9t

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 05:57:32 PM »
i havent got as far as the FPP running it is still in the install mode  will take a pic and show. it just asks for FPP  user and password then stops with command promtp

Offline Jo9t

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 06:08:31 PM »
this is a pic .

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2019, 06:35:32 PM »
i havent got as far as the FPP running it is still in the install mode  will take a pic and show. it just asks for FPP  user and password then stops with command promtp

There is no 'install mode' in FPP v2.x.  FPP is pre-installed in the SD image and is up and running as soon as you boot the SD card.
-
Chris

Offline Jo9t

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 08:26:34 PM »
so is this it are you left with the command promtp . when i watch videos it has a template  etc  so you can use .  all i got is a blank screen for me to type some dos or command  to go further. once i am here what do type to get more

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 09:37:44 PM »
Not familiar with the A+. But if you used the v2.5 image to install, then since that pi does not have an ethernet jack, but does have dual band wifi, it should show up as a wifi AP named FPP. Login to that, password is christmas. The FPP defaults to ip address 192.168.0.1, open that in your browser.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:49:27 PM by aknflyer »

Online Sawdust

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2019, 10:44:18 PM »
so is this it are you left with the command promtp . when i watch videos it has a template  etc  so you can use .  all i got is a blank screen for me to type some dos or command  to go further. once i am here what do type to get more

FPP is not run at command prompt  If you are accessing FPP command prompt, then FPP is running....you just need to get to its settings.  As I said in post 2....close that screen and open a WEB browser and type http://FPP.local/ {enter/return}
You should connect and be seeing FPP home screen.

(If that doesnt run FPP come back and well look at finding the FPP IP address and use that in the WEB Browser)

Offline Jo9t

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 10:53:14 PM »
Thanking you for all the comments  BUT
[size=0px]FPP is not run at command prompt. If toy are accessing FPPis running, you just need to get to its settings.  As I said in post 2....close that screen and open a WEB browser and type [/size][/size][size=0px]http://FPP.local/[/size][/size][size=0px] {enter/return}[/size][/size][size=0px]You should connect and be seeing FPP home screen.
i donr have a broweser yet on my Pi as this is all it gets to when you 1st turn on from boot or installation. and stops and ask for login  i login as FPP but also have tried fpp  and i am using password as falcon.
then i get a few other lines and it stops at   fpp@FPP $   and waiting for me to type . what do i type from here?   i have put a pic of what my Pi is showing.  The A 3+ has a internal wifi and no etherent plug . but i think you need to configure this later after the install.//  here is the screen i get from turn on after inserting the image on SD card.

[/size]

Offline aknflyer

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2019, 10:59:02 PM »
As I thought, you have no ethernet connection. Look for FPP wifi on your phone or pc, connect to that password christmas. navigate to 192.168.0.1. That is the only way you will get into it. Forget about your monitor and keyboard. Not required. Now if you had a usb to ethernet dongle, then that would enable a wired connection. For now use the wifi.

Online Sawdust

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2019, 12:15:20 AM »
As I thought, you have no ethernet connection. Look for FPP wifi on your phone or pc, connect to that password christmas. navigate to 192.168.0.1. That is the only way you will get into it. Forget about your monitor and keyboard. Not required. Now if you had a usb to ethernet dongle, then that would enable a wired connection. For now use the wifi.

Jo9t - Oh, the 3A+ is a chopped down version of the 3B.....no ethernet port and only one USP.
Unless you have a USB to ethernet dongle, you'll need to follow aknflyer's guidance, except not all wifi enabled device work.  example, I cannot connect this way on my 3B or 3B+ with my iPhone, iPad or Dell Laptop, but I can with my desktop. Others have no problems connecting.

Online Sawdust

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 12:16:56 AM »
Thanking you for all the comments  BUT
[size=0px]FPP is not run at command prompt. If toy are accessing FPPis running, you just need to get to its settings.  As I said in post 2....close that screen and open a WEB browser and type [/size][/size][size=0px]http://FPP.local/[/size][/size][size=0px] {enter/return}[/size][/size][size=0px]You should connect and be seeing FPP home screen.
i donr have a broweser yet on my Pi as this is all it gets to when you 1st turn on from boot or installation. and stops and ask for login  i login as FPP but also have tried fpp  and i am using password as falcon.
then i get a few other lines and it stops at   fpp@FPP $   and waiting for me to type . what do i type from here?   i have put a pic of what my Pi is showing.  The A 3+ has a internal wifi and no etherent plug . but i think you need to configure this later after the install.//  here is the screen i get from turn on after inserting the image on SD card.

[/size]

The screen you posted is not how you access FPP.

Offline Jo9t

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 01:17:01 AM »
so sos good  now i can connect via my laptop and i see ON MY LAPTOP the FPP player and i can adjust and have a play around. but on my Pi all i see is the comand promtp . i am guessing at this stage i do it all via my laptop.  so another question . if i want to use my Pi for other things from FPP . do i make another SD card with noobs and reboot up that way without FPP. and  am i dreaming or thinking too far that i want to use the GPIO as an input to trigger a song or sequence to play ,  eg , if i have a pir sensor when trggered. play this sequence next. I also wanted to get a HAT for my pie to broadcast an FM radio signal of the music rerlated to my lights.  hence i was thinking i can use raspberry pi to talk to FPP and reverse.
BUT at this stage i will work on xlights and make a sequence to have a play and then biuld as i learn more.
Once again i thank everyone for the help. I will donte to this site as i feel it is free and nothing is free in my world  so we need to show our appriciation.

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 07:23:50 AM »
so sos good  now i can connect via my laptop and i see ON MY LAPTOP the FPP player and i can adjust and have a play around. but on my Pi all i see is the comand promtp . i am guessing at this stage i do it all via my laptop.
That is somewhat correct, the main method of accessing/controlling the FPP is through the web interface (laptop) because the video output of the Pi using the FPP is now available to play videos as part of a light show. You can access the inner workings through a SSH client but it will still be from your laptop.
so another question . if i want to use my Pi for other things from FPP . do i make another SD card with noobs and reboot up that way without FPP.
Yes, the operating system is on the uSD card so you can just swap them out.
and  am i dreaming or thinking too far that i want to use the GPIO as an input to trigger a song or sequence to play ,  eg , if i have a pir sensor when trggered. play this sequence next.
That is possible with FPP
I also wanted to get a HAT for my pie to broadcast an FM radio signal of the music rerlated to my lights.  hence i was thinking i can use raspberry pi to talk to FPP and reverse.
The hats don't provide a good FM signal for the most part. Most people will use an FM transmitter connected to either the audio output or USB port.
BUT at this stage i will work on xlights and make a sequence to have a play and then biuld as i learn more.
Once again i thank everyone for the help. I will donte to this site as i feel it is free and nothing is free in my world  so we need to show our appriciation.
I agree with you!
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.