Author Topic: GPIO Sound on Pi Zero W  (Read 250 times)

Offline Rauco

• Kudos: 0
GPIO Sound on Pi Zero W
« on: April 16, 2019, 10:34:16 PM »
I know this topic has been discussed, but I'm wondering if I only use pin 18 for pixels can I route audio through PIN 19? And if so, how do I get that to show up as my audio output device and settings?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: GPIO Sound on Pi Zero W
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 11:10:38 PM »
No, the pixel output library uses both of the PWM outputs for the two pixel outputs.  The library doesn't currently allow disabling one of the outputs, they are both enabled even if you only have pixels connected to one.
-
Chris

Offline Rauco

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:24:55 AM »
Thanks. I was worried that was the case, but thought I'd ask. USB time I suppose.

Offline toozie21

• My website
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 04:30:20 PM »
Is the documentation somewhere for using the Pi Zero W with FPP? I was just surfing around to see if the Z was even usable at all and how audio could be used. This thread makes me think audio is possible, but I couldn't tell what documentation you were referring to above.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 04:44:13 PM »
Is the documentation somewhere for using the Pi Zero W with FPP? I was just surfing around to see if the Z was even usable at all and how audio could be used. This thread makes me think audio is possible, but I couldn't tell what documentation you were referring to above.

I'm don't think separate docs are needed for the Zero.  FPP on a Pi-Zero installs and configures the same as on other Pi's.  You just need to be cognizant of which network interfaces you may or may not have installed (either built-in or attached via USB). And be aware of some limitations due to the lower processing power. (e.g. it can't run as many P10 panels as a Pi3, but it can run a few panels).   They're great for "wearable" pixel props  8)

I've used a few Zero-W as remotes receiving wireless sync from a Pi Master.   I also have a stand-alone Zero-W running indoor lighting not synced with anything else.  I have not used audio with the Zero but if you're not using the GPIO for running pixels I suspect the on-board audio would work fine.
-Mark

Offline toozie21

• My website
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 04:55:03 PM »

I'm don't think separate docs are needed for the Zero.  FPP on a Pi-Zero installs and configures the same as on other Pi's.  You just need to be cognizant of which network interfaces you may or may not have installed (either built-in or attached via USB)

I've used a few Zero-W as remotes receiving wireless sync from a Pi Master.   I also have a stand-alone Zero-W running indoor lighting not synced with anything else.  I have not used audio with the Zero but if you're not using the GPIO for running pixels I suspect the on-board audio would work fine.
Sorry OP, I have stolen your thread. Mea culpa.

I actually am going to use this standalone. I want to control some service synced to audio and was going to do it myself in Raspian when I realized this seemed like a great use for the FPP (I've used the FPP, but never for audio OR servos). So I just popped on today to start research when I found this now stolen thread.

Offline toozie21

• My website
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 04:56:05 PM »
Also, looking at some older threads, it seemed like using a pi zero wasn't as straight forward back the . So I didn't know if things had gotten better.