Author Topic: Xlights forum vs. Facebook  (Read 541 times)

Offline ericg2000

• Kudos: 0
Xlights forum vs. Facebook
« on: April 24, 2019, 05:50:11 AM »
It seems that most activity must take place an the Facebook page and not on any of the forums. Forum activity is real sparatic.  Is this a fair statement to make?  If so what about this of us who don't use Facebook? 

Offline deanathpc

• Kudos: 1
    • Brooks Family Lights
Re: Xlights forum vs. Facebook
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 06:07:10 AM »
Kind of a slow time of year on here too.  I am on facebook and haven't noticed much activity there.  Now to be fair I'm not on facebook much anymore either.
------------------
Dean

Stafford, NY
FPP, F16v2R's, LE's, xLights

Offline ericg2000

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 07:23:42 AM »
That's good to know, I guess. At least I'm not missing anything.

Is there any other locations to find shared sequences and effects besides the shared Google drive? 

Offline JerryPlak

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »
Personally prefer the Xlights forum.
I do look at the activity on Facebook pages but seriously there is lots of redundant type questions being asked most of the time!!

I take my time to read and search on the form to see if others are having the same type of questions or issues..

Jerry Plak

Offline deanathpc

• Kudos: 1
    • Brooks Family Lights
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2019, 09:46:17 AM »
That's good to know, I guess. At least I'm not missing anything.

Is there any other locations to find shared sequences and effects besides the shared Google drive?
There are other places if you search around.  that google drive is a great resource.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2019, 04:31:32 PM »
To me Facebook is a conversation tool where the forum is a resource tool.  If you are not around for the start of a conversation you miss what is the initial question or comment and a few hours later it is just like a conversation that you missed because you were not present.  Also FB is way too social and has a lot of junk threads.  But if you were in need of a quick answer, FB seems to be a little quicker, but then it is not really captured and indexed for future generations to easily find.

This time of the year all forums and even FB is does not offer much to see.  Just my 2 cents. 
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline ericg2000

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2019, 07:19:08 PM »
i was afraid i was missing something.  i had my wife join the group and i keep asking what's new and she says nothing. 

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 05:54:20 AM »
If you are wanting to know "what's new" like I do, then keep at least one FPP (Pi or Beagle) running 24/7 and running the latest version on Master Branch.
Check for Updates daily. It's usually the first thing I look at each morning. Sad, but true.

While FPP v2.6 is "the latest"  it is an amazing 185 "commits" behind the Master version (as of 4/25/2019 or 25/4/2019). Some weeks will see as many as 10 updates.

So if you want to see where FPP is heading, that is the way.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 06:47:42 AM by JonB256 »

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 6
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 12:05:08 PM »
What Jon said  :)
On the other note, remember that there are many that do not use facebook at all - ever.  And for many there is nothing that will ever get them to enter the facebook cesspool.
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
What Jon said  :)
On the other note, remember that there are many that do not use facebook at all - ever.  And for many there is nothing that will ever get them to enter the facebook cesspool.

I don't 'do' facebook, the only reason I have an account is so I can have a page for my Christmas lights.  I remember when I first signed up (using a different email than normal), I was instantly bombarded with "do you know this person" messages and friend requests.  It is mindboggling to think of all the info they have collected that people have given them freely, tagging people in pictures, mentioning in posts, etc., enough that they were able to bombard me with 15-20 people that they thought I might know just based on the fact that I gave them my real name when I signed up.  I think they were probably 90% accurate, possibly higher since I'm sure some of them know me but I might not remember their name.
-
Chris

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2019, 05:15:25 PM »
I signed up to Facebook only because of the singing face group.
And after signing up with only my name and a phone number I had the same results as CaptainMurdock.
And the part that was even worse was the next day I started receiving as many spam emails in one day as I used to receive in a month.
I do believe that you get a better results for technical questions on the Xlights forum.

Offline Worthington

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 07:57:10 AM »
I detest Facebook as well. Both the company and the social network. Forums all the way!

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 10:11:08 AM »
Same experience as Captain and ebuechner. Use forums only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B