Author Topic: Tune To Sign with Pixels and P5 Panels  (Read 277 times)

Offline blueabacas

• Kudos: 0
Tune To Sign with Pixels and P5 Panels
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:49:29 AM »
I'm building a tune to sign that has eight P5 panels as well as 100 ws2811 pixels. I'm looking for controller options for running both panels and pixels from a FPP setup that is separate from the main show. Also, trying not to use wifi like the ESPixelStick if possible.

One option is running a Pi 3 B+ and a Falcon PiCap for the pixels and then a ColorLight board to control the eight P5 panels. Would there be any issues running the PiHat and the ColorLight from the same Pi? Might be a bit overkill but best cost.

Another option is a BBB with octoscrolla and another small controller. Seems like the smallest/cheapest option here would be a ECG-P2?

Probably some other options using either two BBB pockets with one as master and the other as slave and then each having a hat for the panels and pixels.
Any other obvious combinations I am missing?

Thanks!

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Tune To Sign with Pixels and P5 Panels
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:20:14 PM »
The rPi-MFC that I'm currently getting towards final testing of has both a 2811 and a Px output. I'm not sure how many P5's you can run from 1 output but my new board may be exactly what you need. It has a real time clock on there as well which may be of use if you want to go with a standalone option.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 09:34:14 PM »
Nice Al....can't wait to see this released...
Ryan

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 12:11:04 AM »
8 P5's on one output is a lot.   That will likely invoke some serious flicker.  I'm not even sure it works on the Pi.  That's equivalent to 16 P10's for each row which is beyond what we support.

Offline blueabacas

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 12:33:21 AM »
Very cool board! That looks ideal with both pixel and panel outputs. Unfortunately, it seems the single output might not quite be enough at least for this specific case (4 on each side of a double sided tune to sign). Just curious when the board might be released?

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 03:25:53 AM »
Very cool board! That looks ideal with both pixel and panel outputs. Unfortunately, it seems the single output might not quite be enough at least for this specific case (4 on each side of a double sided tune to sign). Just curious when the board might be released?
Hopefully I'll find no issues and it will be released about the end of next week. Testing came to a halt as the Oled requires the FPP master branch to run currently and there was a number of issues with the master branch that ground me to a halt.  I have some non blinky work to get out the door before I get back to FPP testing.
If both sides of the sign are to be identical then it may be possible to just use the same data to both sides rather than create it as an 8 panel matrix. The simplest method would be to make up a Tee'ing cable much like the old computer IDE drive leads. (Photo attached for those not old enough to know there was something before SATA.) This may or may not work as the load on some of the commoned outputs may be too high. A couple of 74hc245 buffers would do the trick if needed.

Offline blueabacas

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 05:10:51 PM »
Thanks that's a good idea about using the same data on both sides, then that could possibly work from one panel output. Definitely interested about the new board!