Author Topic: Lynx Express Problem  (Read 11576 times)

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
Lynx Express Problem
« on: May 03, 2019, 06:12:46 AM »
Asking this question for someone I've been trying to help in the Zoom room just to see if anyone else has any suggestions other than what I have tried.

The guy bought a used Lynx Express v5.x from someone and is trying to get it to work off of a F16.  It appears everything is hooked up and configured correctly in xlights and on the F16, but nothing was happening on the LE.  When powered up, the LE goes shows it is set for channel 64.  That seems like it should be 65, or even reset to 1 if this is his only AC type controller. When he pushes the mode button, it goes to the program mode (PRG on the leds), but then he can't get it off of that.  Pushing the mode button again, which usually would cycle to the test mode and then to the channel changing mode, doesn't seem to do anything.  Pushing select doesn't seem to do anything.  Reset or powering down will put it back to showing channel 64 on the LEDs, but still can't get it to light up.  The power LEDs are both lit up, and when connected to the F16 the data LED is flashing.  He also gets the LED in port 16 lit up, I think when it is in program mode, but I am not 100% certain on that.

My gut says that reflashing the PIC chip is the way to go to see if that fixed the problem.  He doesn't have a PicKit however, so can't easily try that.  He is going to ask a local lighting group and the guy he got the controller from if they have one, and try that.  I can even see if I have a spare to program and send him.  But in the meantime, was curious if anyone has seen this before or had other ideas as to how to fix it.

Offline rmp2917

• Kudos: 2
Re: Lynx Express Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 06:59:40 AM »
The F16 should be configured for DMX output. Also, make sure that it is set to output on pins 1 & 2 of the RJ-45 connector since those are the only 2 pins the Lynx Express uses. Also, make sure the start address of the DMX output is set to the appropriate xlights channel.

To set the start channel, press the mode button twice. The decimal point should light up for the first digit. Press select until the digit reads the desired value. Press the mode button to move to the next digit. Press select until the digit reads the desired value. Press the mode button to move to the last digit. Again press select until the digit reads the desired value. Press the mode button one last time to exit (this may put you into test mode I can't remember). The start channel should now be set. You can choose any start channel between 1 and 512, but most likely you will want this to be set to 1 unless you have multiple DMX controllers. It is best to reset after setting the start channel to make sure the start channel is updated.

Pressing the mode button without pressing any other buttons should put you into test mode. You may have to press it 5 or 6 times before you get to test mode.

From your explanation, it sounds like the Lynx Express is working correctly. However, if it doesn't seem to be cycling through the modes correctly, you may want to try reflashing the PIC. I can check one of my Lynx Express when I get home later to verify how the modes cycle.

If you still need help and can't find anyone locally, I can reflash and test it for you if you want to ship me the board.