Author Topic: Cannot get Dynamic Playlists to work  (Read 555 times)

Offline tomhammond

• Kudos: 0
Re: Cannot get Dynamic Playlists to work
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 07:37:36 AM »
Hi Chris,

You are correct; dynamic.json will contain a different fseq/mp3 each time the playlist is executed.

However, when I was testing Falcon Player's Repeat feature with the dynamic playlist, I was not cycling the contents of dynamic.json during testing.  It contained the same information each time the playlist repeated. 

Theoretically, the dynamic playlist should play whatever it sees in dynamic.json, even if it was the same fseq/mp3 as last time.

This evening, I'll test the Repeat feature with a constantly changing json file to see if the problem goes away.  :)

Thanks,
Tom

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2019, 10:34:21 AM »
This evening, I'll test the Repeat feature with a constantly changing json file to see if the problem goes away.  :)

Thanks.  The results are not cached, the URL is queried each time through the playlist.  Due to that, I want to add an optional 'prefetch' that would fetch the URL 5-10 seconds prior to the playlist entry starts, so there is no pause while waiting for the response.
-
Chris

Offline tomhammond

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 07:19:51 PM »
Hi Chris,

I think that the cause of the problem is executing URL GET in the playlist doesn't work correctly when it is in Repeat mode.  During the first pass of the playlist, URL GET works fine.  But in the second and subsequent passes in Repeat mode, the PHP files are not run (see the errors on lines 277 and 366 in the attached log).

In my case, I execute prePlayActions.php on my website as the first entry in my playlist.  This updates dynamic.json to a new sequence.  Then the dynamic playlist event reads dynamic.json and plays the sequence. 

I think that dynamic.json is read correctly and freshly each time (which agrees with you stating that results are not cached).  So I think the real issue is that URL GET doesn't work well in Repeat mode; that is the root cause of the issue.

If you do add a Prefetch mode for the dynamic URL, please make it optional so that I can turn it off. 

Thanks and please let me know when URL GET works with Repeat mode.  I appreciate it.  :)
Tom

Offline tomhammond

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 07:07:42 PM »
Hi Chris,

Were you able to troubleshoot the issue with URL GET not working when the Dynamic playlist is in Repeat mode?

Thanks for your help and let me know if I can do more troubleshooting for you,
Tom