Author Topic: DDP setup Using PiCap  (Read 138 times)

Offline twireless

• Kudos: 0
DDP setup Using PiCap
« on: May 07, 2019, 03:55:01 PM »
I am new to this PiCap and I am finding in XLights that DDP is suggested with FPP controllers.  My question is, where can I find information on how DDP is used and How to set it up in the FPP.  I did not find anything in the Wiki about it.  I am just looking for documentation on it for now.  Per the YouTube of lights beginner Seminar January 2019 it said Dan has a really good writeup on it.  Just looking for the writeup.

Thank you
TWireless (Ted)

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: DDP setup Using PiCap
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 04:23:57 PM »
Dan's writeup is at https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,10490.0.htmlThere's no a huge benefit using DDP for a PiCap as they don't do a huge number of universes. The "Falcon controllers" will typically be referring to the F16 and F48 which do many, many more universes than what Pi based capes do.

Offline twireless

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:29:24 PM »
Thank you sir.  I will take a look at it.  The only reason I was looking at DDP is the ability to control things from Xlights directly for testing.  I will read the document and then start playing with it to see if it will be a benefit.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 06:31:38 PM »
Dan's writeup is at https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,10490.0.htmlThere's no a huge benefit using DDP for a PiCap as they don't do a huge number of universes. The "Falcon controllers" will typically be referring to the F16 and F48 which do many, many more universes than what Pi based capes do.

I disagree...  Anytime you are sending data to a Pi/BBB, DDP is a much better option than e1.31, even for a PiCap.   2 strings of 100 pixels is still two universes, but only a single DDP packet.   And DDP doesn't require actually setting up and inputs for the bridge mode to work.  It's just plane easier.