Author Topic: New Beaglebone....  (Read 330 times)

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
New Beaglebone....
« on: May 09, 2019, 02:54:11 PM »

As if I don't already have enough stuff on my plate to deal with, look what shows up on my doorstep today.....

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: New Beaglebone....
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 03:02:30 PM »
Should we take bets on what you are going to play with first??
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 04:17:06 PM »
This is a higher spec Beagle rather than a cheaper 1? In my quick google I didn't see them for sale anywhere, I did see it mentioned that it had an expected price of around $US100.
https://beagleboard.org/ai

Online dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 06:23:10 PM »
This is a higher spec Beagle rather than a cheaper 1? In my quick google I didn't see them for sale anywhere, I did see it mentioned that it had an expected price of around $US100.
https://beagleboard.org/ai

It's basically a stripped down X15 to use the BBB form factor.  It's got 1GB ram, 2 1.5Ghz cores (AM572x instead of the AM335x in the regular beagles), 16GB eMMC, real gigabit ethernet (not like the fake gigabit on the Pi3B+ and SanCloud BBE), and Wifi.   For our purpose it has 4 PRU's instead of 2.  Also, every single GPIO pin is wired directly to one of the 4 PRU's.  Thus, it's possible to avoid using GPIO's entirely.   Not really sure how all that will work yet.    Bunch of other things like DSP cores and EVE cores (for AI/OpenCL).   

This is a "alpha test" "A1" unit to help test things.    They already have other pin changes and such so the other alpha testers have apparently been sending useful feedback. 

Anyway, since it's an AM572x instead of an AM335x, it will require a completely different image.  I need to spend some time experimenting with it to see what useful things it can possibly do. :)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 05:42:30 AM »
Dan, did you ever get and work with an X-15? It may have been $269 (DigiKey) or $239 (Arrow) but sounded very powerful.
This Beagle AI sounds great, too, and the $100 price is more palatable.

The X-15 looks like it would actually be usable as a Linux based home computer (add keyboard, mouse and monitor)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 05:53:04 AM by JonB256 »

Online dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 06:11:23 AM »
Dan, did you ever get and work with an X-15? It may have been $269 (DigiKey) or $239 (Arrow) but sounded very powerful.
This Beagle AI sounds great, too, and the $100 price is more palatable.

The X-15 looks like it would actually be usable as a Linux based home computer (add keyboard, mouse and monitor)

No, cause the price point made it seem pointless.   It was too expensive for anything in our hobby, but for $250, we could get an Intel thing that would run FPP or xLights or just about anything.   Had a tough time trying to justify it for anything.

The AI is definitely interesting.  The $100 price point is still a bit high, but since it includes 16GB eMMC, gigabit, and 2.4/5g wifi, it's definitely has potential.    I need to really run it through tests, but there are a lot of good things, but also some worry some things about it.   For example, on the BBB, the pins are divided across 4 GPIO's.   Thus, to run a full OctoScroller, we need to write data to 4 memory locations.    On the AI, the pins are dived across 8 GPIO's.   Thus, if we have to stick to the GPIO method, refresh will potentially be lower unless writing to the locations is quicker (could be, faster chip/bus).    For the WS281x outputs, I'm not even sure if we CAN write to 8 locations and maintain the strict timing that ws281x requires.   

However, the fact that all 55 pins are directly connected to a PRU could mean we can avoid GPIO's entirely.  For the ws2811 capes, we could run the PRU code on all 4 PRU's and have each output only the data that is connected to that PRU and avoid the GPIO's.   That won't work very well for the Octo's unless there are some really good ways to sync the 4 PRU's. (there are ways for 2, but not sure about all 4).   OR a redesigned Octo specific to the AI which is something I'd consider.   With everything PRU connected, I'd likely use shift registers and drive 16 outputs for the monster P5 panels.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 08:45:10 AM »
The AI is definitely interesting.  The $100 price point is still a bit high....   
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking....especially since we can get BBB for under $40 these days and your BBB capes are extremely capable, full-featured controllers for under $100 total cost.

The AI (and the X-15) are interesting but not sure if I'd want or need it in this application
-Mark