Author Topic: Cannot add new 50 bulb model to my 300 light string  (Read 127 times)

Offline gemoomaw@gmail.com

• Kudos: 0
Cannot add new 50 bulb model to my 300 light string
« on: May 10, 2019, 12:28:38 PM »

I wanted to add a model to the end of my 300 lights on my fpp which are working fine. FPP is supposed to be good for 600 lights. I upped the pixel count in the pi-pixel output to 1200 should be plenty 350x3 =1050.
I am using fpp display testing. Should light all lights.
When I connect the 50 lights only 2 will light. I checked voltage and found ony 5 volts. I connected power at the intersection of this string to the longer string and find11.5 volts at the end of the
problem string.
I tried another string in place of the offending string and it lights just fine even without power injection.
I then connected the offending string to the second output of the FPP and it lights just fine.
I sure do not want to replace the 50 lights in this model.
What am I missing.

[size=0.875rem]Reply[/size][/size][size=0.875rem][/color]Forward[/size]

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: Cannot add new 50 bulb model to my 300 light string
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 06:27:56 PM »
I don't know if this is the problem or not but you sound like you are confusing channels and pixels. If you are adding another 50 pixels/lights then you just need to add 50 to the total pixels not 50x3. From memory I don't think that 1200 is actually a valid number to use. I thought that it maxed out at 1000 or maybe 1020. If you are connecting 350 lights as it sounds like then you need to set the pixel number to 350. 350 pixels will draw about 19A at maximum load so power injection at every 50 or 100 pixels will be needed to keep the voltage from getting too low.

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 7
Re: Cannot add new 50 bulb model to my 300 light string
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 10:11:26 PM »
I wanted to add a model to the end of my 300 lights on my fpp which are working fine. FPP is supposed to be good for 600 lights.
I don't know where you got that information, depending on your setup, FPP can control essentially an unlimited number of lights (it does have a limit of 333,333 lights per sequence but if you are running a master/remote setup each FPP can have its own 333,333 lights.)   
I upped the pixel count in the pi-pixel output to 1200 should be plenty 350x3 =1050.
The Pixel count in the FPP Pi Pixel strings is Pixels, NOT channels and depending on the PiHat, you can only control around 800 pixels per port, so setting the Pixel Count beyond the actual pixels being used can cause you problems. The Pixel Count needs to match exactly the number of pixels you are using, so in your case, you should enter 350.
I am using fpp display testing. Should light all lights.
When I connect the 50 lights only 2 will light. I checked voltage and found ony 5 volts. I connected power at the intersection of this string to the longer string and find11.5 volts at the end of the
problem string.
I tried another string in place of the offending string and it lights just fine even without power injection.
Then the problem is with the light string! You are asking for trouble trying to light that many lights without power injection and the problems can be unpredictable. Did the lights work when you had power injection?
I then connected the offending string to the second output of the FPP and it lights just fine.
Not all strands of lights are created equal. I had a similar problem. It is possible that the offending string has a higher need for signal power. Power injection does not inject additional power to the data signal line as the data signal is 5v, even on 12v strings. So it is possible that the offending string is more sensitive to data signal loss than your replacement string.
I sure do not want to replace the 50 lights in this model.
What am I missing.
Sorry to say, but you might have to change the lights in your model :( Do you have 300 pixels (not the current ones you are using) and connect them in place of your original setup and add the offending 50 pixels after that and see what results you get.
Also, I don't know if the picture you posted was relevant, but you might want to add pictures as attachements instead of adding an image to your post.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.