Author Topic: Control which pi pixel string output is live from xlights sequ  (Read 215 times)

Offline gemoomaw@gmail.com

• Kudos: 0
Wondering if I can control which pixel string is live from an xlights sequence. If possible I could control lights on 2 different pixel string outputs.

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 7
Re: Control which pi pixel string output is live from xlights sequ
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 10:15:58 PM »
I am not sure exactly what you are asking. you can not only control which string is live but you can control each pixel. Are you asking if you can create an xLights Sequence when you don't have the actual controllers yet but want to test the controllers you do have? Then the answer is yes, you can make the identified Universes inactive.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 06:44:58 AM »
rephrase my question.
I am now using my fpp+ pi-hat to control a string of lights using xlights.
Pi-hat has 2 outputs. As it is, the two outputs are outputting the same material. I see that in fpp I can control which output is live.
I am asking if from an xlights sequence I can control which pi-hat output is live. For example I might have 300 lights on #1 pi-hat output but I want to also control 100 lights separately on #2  using an xlights sequence.

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 06:51:03 AM »
I should add that I am outputting xlights data via a single DDP output. I went this direction in order to use the bridge mode. I was not successful in implementing bridge mode using e.131 output universes.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 07:18:29 AM »
The "enable" check box for the PiHat pixels is for BOTH outputs, not selectable between Port 1 or Port 2

But, if you made them "identical" except for the Start Channel, you could alternate output using Channel Remap option now available as a Playlist option (in FPP Playlists, anyway).

I am not "fluent" in xLights xSchedule and don't know (wasn't obvious to me) if it offers that Channel Remap option.

But, if your PiHat was getting its DDP data from another FPP (the way I run my shows), the FPP running the playlist could insert a Channel Remap that would switch your pixels from Port 1 start channel to the Port 2 start channel.

(but - it would be so much easier to just add another model line in xLights and just work there. The amount of pixels you are currently describing is not going to be a problem at all to xLights)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 07:30:39 AM by JonB256 »

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 08:11:19 AM »
I should add that I am outputting xlights data via a single DDP output.
That doesn't matter. DDP and E1.31 are just the way to identify the individual pixels, kind of like mail addresses. You can have one DDP output and that can get distributed to several different ports.
I went this direction in order to use the bridge mode. I was not successful in implementing bridge mode using e.131 output universes.
You should have been able to use E1.31 output, it isn't that difficult. DDP might not be an option depending on how you ultimately set up your show network. DDP is a great protocol to use for Bridge mode.
Each pixel is individually addressable. In xLights, you can make one port on your Pi hat one color, the other port another color. You can make each pixel any color you want, it doesn't matter what port they are on. Each pixel can be controlled separately. Each pixel can be a different color that the other so you could have 400 different colors at the same time if you want

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 08:16:21 AM »
rephrase my question.
I am now using my fpp+ pi-hat to control a string of lights using xlights.
Pi-hat has 2 outputs. As it is, the two outputs are outputting the same material.

Are you saying that you have the Sequence only outputting to the 300 pixel string on port 1and the 100 pixel string on port 2 is outputting the same data? If so, then you have some channel configurations incorrect somewhere. Either in FPP or xLights. Do you use the FPP connect feature in xLights? It will save you a ton of headaches!