Author Topic: FPP 2.7.1 Now Available  (Read 1655 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
FPP 2.7.1 Now Available
« on: May 17, 2019, 12:51:03 PM »

Updates:
* Detect the new Raspberry Pi 3A+ and provide a logo for it
* Detect "Unknown" capes as "Unknown" instead of "Unsupported"

Bug Fixes:
* Fix bug where older plugins were being installed into the wrong directory and thus not working.
* Troubleshooting page was unable to provide details on I2C bus on BeagleBone's
* Fix problem in the 2.7 Pi image where omxplayer was not fully installed or working thus preventing mp4 videos from playing. Fixing this does require using the new 2.7.1 image for the Pi.

Upgrade Instructions:
If you have a system running 2.7, you can go to the FPP about page (about.php) and click on the "Manual Update" button. It should only take a minute or two to upgrade.
If you have a system running 2.4-2.6, you can go to the FPP about page (about.php) and click on the "Manual Update" button. At that point, a big green "Upgrade" bar should appear. You will get all the improvements above except those marked with the "requires re-imaging" notes on the release note for all the versions is upgrading through. Note: there are a LOT of changes in this release. The "Upgrade" button will take several minutes. BeagleBones should take about 15 minutes. Newer Pi 3's are about 10 minutes. Single core Pi's may take over 30 minutes.

Image Download:
Images for Pi and BBB can be found at: https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/tag/2.7.1

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 02:48:46 PM by dkulp »

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 6
    • Newburgh Lights
Re: FPP 2.7.1 Now Available
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 02:26:24 PM »
LED Panels page front view vs rear view is still backwards.  Unless I'm not understanding what it should be, it's backwards.  First reported in 2.7, and still seen here in 2.7.1.  With 2.7, I confirmed this on a BeagleBone Black with the Renard Plus cape, and also with a PocketBeagle and PocketScroller.  With 2.7.1, I have only confirmed this on the PocketBeagle.  I have not tried either version with a RaspBerry Pi - but I can if desired...
Here are two photos and two screen captures to illustrate the issue.  First is the panel setup in FPP, followed by a photo showing the Pocket Beagle and scroller driving the left (as viewed from the rear) of the matrix.  This is the "what I had to do to make it work" version.

Notice that I had to set the panels as if they are wired right to left.  However the photo shows that they are wired left to right:

With the panel layout set incorrectly, if I go into display testing and light up the first few pixels as seen here:

I should be seeing the first nine pixels in an RGB pattern on the upper left cornet of the display.  That is exactly what I see (sorry for the washout on the right - bad background):

If I set the panel layout to match actual reality, the same Display testing setup results in the upper left nine pixels on the farthest right panel (as viewed from the front).

Note that with the panel layout set incorrectly, the display also lights up correctly when driving the display from LOR in Bridge mode.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:48:28 PM by k6ccc »
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 09:58:23 PM »
LED Panels page front view vs rear view is still backwards.  Unless I'm not understanding what it should be, it's backwards.  First reported in 2.7, and still seen here in 2.7.1.  With 2.7, I confirmed this on a BeagleBone Black with the Renard Plus cape, and also with a PocketBeagle and PocketScroller.  With 2.7.1, I have only confirmed this on the PocketBeagle.  I have not tried either version with a RaspBerry Pi - but I can if desired...
Here are two photos and two screen captures to illustrate the issue.  First is the panel setup in FPP, followed by a photo showing the Pocket Beagle and scroller driving the left (as viewed from the rear) of the matrix.  This is the "what I had to do to make it work" version.

This should be fixed in master, can you test to make sure it works for you?  I fixed the front/back and also made it default to front as it used to do so it wasn't confusing to users.
-
Chris

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 10:56:05 PM »
LED Panels page front view vs rear view is still backwards.
<snip>

This should be fixed in master, can you test to make sure it works for you?  I fixed the front/back and also made it default to front as it used to do so it wasn't confusing to users.
Switching to master now (30 minutes and waiting)...

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 11:07:39 PM »
Version: v2.x-355-g69a2b9cd (master branch)  Host: FPP-PocketBeagle-2 (192.168.131.82)

That fixed it.
Thanks

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 09:00:34 PM »
Version: v2.x-355-g69a2b9cd (master branch)  Host: FPP-PocketBeagle-2 (192.168.131.82)

That fixed it.
Thanks

Thanks, I merged that commit into the v2.7 branch so it should be in v2.7 if you pull in updates.

Offline srtate1

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 08:15:10 AM »
Kind of new to Raspberry Pi.  I'm trying to upgrade from 2.5 to 2.7.  When I go to the FPP interface - About - and click on Manual Update, it starts the process and quickly says "Cannot access github".  The Pi  is connected to a router via ethernet.  Am I supposed to be able to update this way or do I need to do the update on the SD card from my computer? Thanks!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:21:44 AM »
It's a common problem and a network issue.  In the network config section try putting 8.8.8.8 into one of the dns entries (one of the google dns servers).  That has helped a lot of folks.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline srtate1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 08:34:52 AM »
I put 8.8.8.8 in DNS Server 1, saved it and rebooted the Player.  I still get the no access of github message.  The Pi is set up as a static IP with the same first three numbers as my router and laptop.  I am able to communicate with the Pi through that network.  If I can't do an update this way, can I remove the SD card and go through the same sequence I did when I first loaded FPP from my laptop?

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
I put 8.8.8.8 in DNS Server 1, saved it and rebooted the Player.  I still get the no access of github message.  The Pi is set up as a static IP with the same first three numbers as my router and laptop.  I am able to communicate with the Pi through that network.  If I can't do an update this way, can I remove the SD card and go through the same sequence I did when I first loaded FPP from my laptop?
Like Jnealand stated, that is almost always a network configuration issue. Here is the unfinished FPP manual that might give you some assistance. Look at the end of the manual for the networking section. If you still have problems, post 2 screenshots, one of your eth0 setup, and wlan0 setup.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Offline srtate1

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 10:39:48 AM »
OK, got it updated.  I had to remove the SD card, put it in my laptop, and reflash the FPP image using etcher.  It worked fine, but, of course, it eliminated all of my setup.  So I had to reset everything.  But it's all working now, and the update fixed the problem I was having. Thanks!  Next, I'll tackle my Manual Update problem.  ;D

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »
If you set the Pi to save your files onto a USB drive, you dont lose your settings.

Sent from a $&@#% iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 12:00:32 PM »
If you set the Pi to save your files onto a USB drive, you dont lose your settings.
OR...
you can use FPP Backup to save the settings, re-image and then restore the saved settings.  Disclaimer: Backup/Restore is not supported between v1.x and v2.x
-Mark

Offline k6ccc

• Newburgh Lights
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 03:32:31 PM »
OR...
you can use FPP Backup to save the settings, re-image and then restore the saved settings.  Disclaimer: Backup/Restore is not supported between v1.x and v2.x
Except that does not back everything up.  Last time I did that, as I recall, I had to rebuild most of the configuration because the backup / restore doesn't cover everything.  The big one for me as I recall, was none of the LED panel config was restored.  Since that is all I'm using FPP for, the backup was not worth much.  Disclaimer:  that was likely an early 2.x version.

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 01:39:12 AM »
2.7.1 Image is playing havoc on my Pi wifi dongles.  Intermittently, and almost repeatable, wifi IP is being reported as 169.254.xxx.xxx.  This is happening on a Pi Zero, a Pi 2. I stopped re-imaging so no testing on Pi 3 or BeagelBones.  It is happening with various dongles including EDIMAX.  Only happening on Imaged 2.7.1

Pi 3 and BeagleBones are running fine on 2.7.

Pi 2 and Pi Zero issues on this:
FPP Version:   v2.7.1-2-g5008eb49
FPP OS Build:   v2.7.1

= = = = = =

Pi Zero no issue on this:
Version Info   
FPP Version:   v2.7.1
FPP OS Build:   v2.7.1
OS Version:   Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel Version:   4.14.98+
Git Branch:   v2.7
Local Git Version:   cd0e4a5 (Update is available) ChangeLog
Remote Git Version:   5008eb4 Preview Changes
Disable Auto Update:   

Pi 3 No Issues on this:

Version Info   
FPP Version:   v2.x-356-ge0e18703
FPP OS Build:   v2.7
OS Version:   Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel Version:   4.14.98-v7+
Git Branch:   master
Local Git Version:   e0e1870 ChangeLog
Remote Git Version:   e0e1870

BeagleBone no issue on this:

Version Info   
FPP Version:   v2.7.1-2-g5008eb49
FPP OS Build:   v2.7
OS Version:   Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel Version:   4.14.109-bone21
Git Branch:   v2.7
Local Git Version:   5008eb4 ChangeLog
Remote Git Version:   5008eb4

Edit:  Add Image
         Can connect to this Pi but only thru another Pi Multisync screen link.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 02:45:13 PM by Sawdust »