Author Topic: Help verify setup of PICap. Smoke let out...  (Read 688 times)

Offline duddleydo

• Kudos: 0
Re: Help verify setup of PICap. Smoke let out...
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 04:39:10 PM »
I'll re-watch the video and do some more digging.

I'm still confused as to my set up now with all the back and forth regarding the Pi power and whether the board can handle the 24Vdc.

I'm under the impression that the Pwr Pi jumper should be removed if I am supply 24V to the Hat and powering the Pi by itself. I believe this is what blew both the Hat and the Pi. My jumper settings 1&2 and 3&4 are correct as I understand. 

If Falcon is correct about eh 7-24v then I should be fine. At this stage I haven't even hooked up the lights. I was looking for confirmation about my set up.

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 06:00:25 PM »
Poporacer,
Yes, I am using 24 LED Floods and using a 24v PSU
I did have 1&2, 2&3, and PWR PI jumbered. well as powering the Pi with the 5V wallwart.[\B]

I think "As well as powering the Pi with the 5V wallwart." is your issue, but did you smoke both the Pi and the PiCap..have you separate them and tested them on their own.

Pi is easy---does it boot.
PiCap a little harder without a working Pi, but you still can check voltage points.  Can you do these:
 - Power PiCap.  Do you have volyage at either of the 2 ports - what is the voltage.
- - Remove jumper to power Pi if you have not.  Check voltage for both pins to incoming ground - did you gret a reading?

Offline duddleydo

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 07:16:52 PM »
The Pi is dead. After the smoke was let out I disconnected everything and tested the Pi on it's own. it is smoked.

I have not test in depth the Cap. I watched the Variable resistor smoke the minute power was applied. I don't know the board well enough to trouble shoot it at the component level. What I do know about TS boards is that when you let the smoke out, components need to be changed. 

David got a hold of me and and explained what has been said here in forum. Jumper PWR PI and power applied to both killed the board. Very appreciated the info and the great customer service he applied. 

I applaud everyone who has helped out.

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 09:47:07 PM »
Yes, David is great and goes out of his way to help. And now you know the correct configuration!
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.