Author Topic: How to run more than 340 pixels from PiCap  (Read 234 times)

Offline srtate1

• Kudos: 0
How to run more than 340 pixels from PiCap
« on: May 20, 2019, 08:49:57 PM »
im new to the Raspberry Pi and Falcon PiCap.  The PiCap has two outputs that I understand are supposed to be able to run up to 800 pixels per output.  But when I set up my universes, the maximum number of channels it will allow is 512, which translates to 170 pixels per universe.  Two outputs, two universes - that equals 340 total pixels.  How do I run more?  Can each output run multiple universes?  If so, how many?  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction here.

Online Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
Re: How to run more than 340 pixels from PiCap
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 09:01:16 PM »
What sequencer are you using. 
FPP Hat uses channels  not universes
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 09:12:38 PM by Sawdust »

Offline srtate1

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 09:11:43 PM »
XLights.  I have been running large shows with multiple RGB controllers, but this is my first excursion into the Pi.  Im trying to make a small mobile show for a performance production. A person will be wearing a costume with the lights sewn in.  I have it working with 340 pixels, but more would be better.

Online Sawdust

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 09:21:09 PM »
I am not an XLights guy, but Pi Hats use channels, not universe.  When you configure your fseq file, it is channels.

For  Vixen, I would just do the number of channels, then assign universes as needed. So 1000 pixels would be 3000 channels or about 6 universes.

On your Pi Pixel String TAB, assign channels sa needed per port.

Offline srtate1

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 09:39:57 PM »
Ok.  I think I see.  Under Channel Outputs, the E1.31 page does have universes, and the max channels per universe is 512.  But under Pi Pixel Strings, which is what I am using, it just has a start channel and pixel count.  Now, if I can figure out how to do the setup in XLights for more than 512 channels......

Offline Poporacer

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 10:35:29 PM »
Universes is a communication/addressing method for transmitting the channel data. E1.31 uses Universes for the communication protocol and yes, a Universe can only handle a max of 512 channels. But a port on a controller or xLights do not really care about Universes. A port can control pixels that are identified in more than one universe, or the pixels identified in a Universe can be split up between 2 ports on a controller. The Universes is just for the communication, you just need to make sure that your controller knows how you are setting up your Universes.
If to err is human, I am more human than most people.

Online Sawdust

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 10:40:05 PM »
Assume xLights is like Vixen.....if you configure 5 universes and save as fseq, then you will have a file with 2560 channels.

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 10:47:44 PM »
Ok.  I think I see.  Under Channel Outputs, the E1.31 page does have universes,and the max channels per universe is 512.
Because you are using a hat, you are not outputting E1.31 data, so you do not set anything up there
But under Pi Pixel Strings, which is what I am using, it just has a start channel and pixel count.  Now, if I can figure out how to do the setup in XLights for more than 512 channels......
Basically, you will setup enough universes to handle the total number of channels that you are going to need. So if you are going to run 2 ports with 800 pixels on each port (for a total of 4800 channels) then you would set up 10 universes of 512 or 510 channels (either will work) If you set things up correctly in xLights, you can use xLights to upload all of controller/hat configuration and have one less headache!

Offline srtate1

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 06:29:45 AM »
Ok.  I think I see.  Under Channel Outputs, the E1.31 page does have universes,and the max channels per universe is 512.
Because you are using a hat, you are not outputting E1.31 data, so you do not set anything up there
But under Pi Pixel Strings, which is what I am using, it just has a start channel and pixel count.  Now, if I can figure out how to do the setup in XLights for more than 512 channels......
Basically, you will setup enough universes to handle the total number of channels that you are going to need. So if you are going to run 2 ports with 800 pixels on each port (for a total of 4800 channels) then you would set up 10 universes of 512 or 510 channels (either will work) If you set things up correctly in xLights, you can use xLights to upload all of controller/hat configuration and have one less headache!

Thanks all!  One more question.  I can see that I dont need to populate anything in the E1.31 area of the PiCap.  But in XLights setup, it only has a few choices for data type, and Ive been using E1.31 universes, which works fine for one universe per output.  So, if I want 300 pixels (900 channels) per output, Im assuming that in XLights Setup, I can set up 4 universes of 512 channels - or if I want to use all channels, 4 universes of 450.  Does this sound right for XLights setup?

Offline Poporacer

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 06:59:50 AM »

Thanks all!  One more question.  I can see that I dont need to populate anything in the E1.31 area of the PiCap.
Do you mean in the E1.31/Artnet/DDP section of FPP? If so, that is correct 
But in XLights setup, it only has a few choices for data type, and Ive been using E1.31 universes, which works fine for one universe per output.
That is not a requirement, Universes has nothing to do with ports like I said earlier. 
So, if I want 300 pixels (900 channels) per output, Im assuming that in XLights Setup, I can set up 4 universes of 512 channels
Yes, that is correct
or if I want to use all channels, 4 universes of 450.  Does this sound right for XLights setup?
No that isn't right. I am not sure what you meant by using all the channels? And a Universe can have any number of channels that you want with a MAX of 512 channels per Universe. Keep adding Universes until you have enough Universes to cover the channels for the lights you need.

Offline srtate1

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »
Thanks for all of the help.  I got it working well with 300 pixels per output.  And thanks to Poporacer who helped me set up for tethering in the network so I can control the FPP with a notebook and be completely mobile.