Author Topic: F8-PB USB port not working  (Read 223 times)

Offline jwamsley07

• Kudos: 0
F8-PB USB port not working
« on: May 28, 2019, 12:43:17 PM »
I have an Ethernet and wireless USB adapter that doesn't work when I plug them in the USB port on the F8-PB.  However, when I use an adapter to plug them directly into the pocket beagle they work just fine.  I can work with plugging the ethernet adapter directly into the pocket beagle, but was curious if the USB port was for power only?

Offline kockie

Re: F8-PB USB port not working
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 04:22:51 PM »
with my f8-pb the usb->networkadapter does work on the f8-pb itself.
Errors above are made for entertaining readers only

English is not my native language.

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 05:09:06 PM »
I can connect either Ethernet adapter or Wifi dongle and both work.
Are you powering the board......fuse lights need to be lite

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 05:43:26 PM »
As stated it should work. I suspect the power also. How are you powering the board and beagle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jwamsley07

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 09:08:36 AM »
As stated it should work. I suspect the power also. How are you powering the board and beagle?
I am powering the beagle from the F8-PB board itself using Meanwell 12v power supply.  No power is directly attached to the pocketbeagle. I have pixels attached to it and they work just fine.  Just that USB port isn't working.

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 10:25:18 AM »
I am powering the beagle from the F8-PB board itself using Meanwell 12v power supply.  No power is directly attached to the pocketbeagle. I have pixels attached to it and they work just fine.  Just that USB port isn't working.

Sounds like either there is an issue with the USB plug itself or the U5 power chip isn't working.   Not sure if you can see it or not (it's under the beagle) but can you see if it looks like it's soldered on OK?  No bridges or anything?   If it looks OK, I'll swap out your board.

In a batch of boards I got last year, I did see one or two USB plugs with a bent pin inside.  I try to check for that now, but can you look in the USB plug and make sure all 4 of the pins look OK?  I may have missed it.

Offline jwamsley07

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 08:34:53 AM »
Sounds like either there is an issue with the USB plug itself or the U5 power chip isn't working.   Not sure if you can see it or not (it's under the beagle) but can you see if it looks like it's soldered on OK?  No bridges or anything?   If it looks OK, I'll swap out your board.

In a batch of boards I got last year, I did see one or two USB plugs with a bent pin inside.  I try to check for that now, but can you look in the USB plug and make sure all 4 of the pins look OK?  I may have missed it.

It was something to do with the pin(s) inside the USB port.  I wiggled the USB Ethernet adapter and got it to power up briefly.  I took a small screw driver and bent the pins inside the USB port down a little and it appears to be working fine now.  Thanks for the help.