Author Topic: No audio with PiCap?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline malditos

• Kudos: 0
No audio with PiCap?
« on: December 11, 2017, 10:02:45 AM »
Hi. I'm using a Pi3 with the PiCap. When I go and try to set the output to use the onboard Pi3 output, there's nothing to select. Does the PiCap disable the onboard Pi3 audio port? If so, then would I need to buy a usb dongle if I want to attach a 3.5mm line?

Also, would having no audio source selected affect the playing of a sequence? I did some tests playing a sequence and when I play the sequence along with it's audio it goes on for about 5 seconds then stops. If I play the same sequence without the audio file, the sequence plays through with no problems.

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
Re: No audio with PiCap?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 10:17:58 AM »
Correct. the gpio used for the picap - ws2811_rpi driver disables onboard audio. Any usb audio dongle, or the Iplay3 - soundblaster is about $19 USD sounds great. I have that running on my system today...Even though i do not have a pi cap or things like that, i prefer the USB audio output.
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline malditos

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
Thanks for that quick response. Once I add the audio dongle, would that resolve the freezing when playing back the sequence with audio or is that a completely different issue?

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
Freezing is something else.
Ensure that you do not have any characters in the filename other than a-z, or 0-9.   Example of what NOT to use "01 - 01 Christmas's is great.mp3"   You should if necessary use _ or no other characters whatsoever.   so it would turn into "0101Christmasisgreat.mp3"   This has resolved 90% of others issues with skipping, etc.

Start there, and see if it helps.

Offline malditos

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:54:05 AM »
Well, once I connected a usb dongle and was able to choose a sound output, the sequence played fine throughout using the exact same audio file that it was freezing on before the usb dongle. The developers might want to check that out for the next version.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 09:58:05 AM »
We did check it out, long ago.  You can't use the PiCap with onboard audio.  The rpi-ws281x library uses the two PWM outputs to drive WS281x pixels, so there is no PWM left for the onboard audio, so you have to use a USB sound card if you want to use the PiCap.
-
Chris

Offline shepler

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 09:17:32 PM »
I picked up a USB audio and it works on two of my three PiCap's. Meaning that if its in the USB port when the Pi boots it becomes available in the FPP setting as an audio output device.  I even tryied taking the micro sd card to one of the other PiCaps and it wouldnt detect the USB audio.  Does anyone know why one of my Pi's wont detect the USB audio in the FPP OS?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 09:34:43 PM »
Does anyone know why one of my Pi's wont detect the USB audio in the FPP OS?

On the Pi that doesn't work, go to the Troubleshooting Commands page and look for the 'lsusb' section.  See if your USB audio device is listed there like it is listed on the other Pi's.  Maybe one difference is power supply, it might not have enough power to power the USB devices??

Offline Tony

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2019, 08:44:08 AM »
As a noob with one week's experience I am getting SOME success. With Falcon FPP on the PICAP I can get my lights-a-twinkle using the ANIMATIONS sequence option with Xlights.
But like everyone else I have found MUSICAL SEQUENCE outputs no sound in FPP as the sound output on the Pi is disabled. In fact, not only is there no sound with my MUSICAL SEQUENCE, there are no lights illuminated either.
So I have just ordered a USB sound card. My question is this, anyone know whether I am likely to get both SOUND and LIGHTS when I have my new USB sound card installed?
Anyone out there with a PI and PICAP using Xlights and FPP outputting a MUSICAL SEQUENCE successfully and if so any tips please?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
First of all you have resurrected a very old thread.  Next time start a new thread

If you ordered the highly recommended Soundblaster Play 3 USb adapter you will have no problems.  I also have another brandx USB sound adapter and it also works wiht no issues.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5