The Lab (Technical Talk) > Designer Troubleshooting and Help

Help!!!

(1/2) > >>

jmilleville:
So....Bossman knows I understand some lighting aspects like DMX and Artnet protocols from my days installing lighting on buildings and nightclubs.  He put a project in front of me and I don't want to let him down.  A tunnel was constructed on the property Garden, and he want's to add pixel lighting to the structure.  By my count, it's going to require about 2500 nodes.  Too add to the dismay, there are limited power options in the general area.  I may have (1) 15A 120v Circuit at my disposal.  Mostly, I need help with the layout.  I've researched a few different options but keep hitting a wall with the amount of power this thing is going to shell out.  About the Structure:  (see photos) It's roughly 45' long and has 15 horizontal steel cables placed on 16" centers around the radius of the arches.  Boss wants pixels spaced 3" apart on each of the 15 horizontal sections.  The average will be about 175 nodes per horizontal cable.  At best guess, I'm looking at around 4 power supplies? for the board & injections.  I have a bit of technical knowledge but can't seem to put a wiring plan on paper.  I could sure use some help (in crayon I guess) on Suggested Equipment, power layout, and injection points.  Obviously, it will be an f16v3, but I'm also assuming at least 2 F8 Distro's and anything else that could be suggested.  To make it even more challenging, he want's it to run automated at dusk and I may or may not have an internet line that will make it to the area so FPP is going to be a must.  On the upside, there is no budget for the project, so I can get all the toys I wan't. 
So if anyone would be willing to help me out with a project plan, It would be greatly appreciated.  And yes I know this is a BIG project for a pixel Newbie.  Go Big or Go Home right?!

Poporacer:
Just a quick look, it doesn't seen too tough. Put the F16 and two power supplies (what size were you thinking?) Power each half of the F16 with a separate power supply (tie the neutrals). Use one port for each string. Then midway down the tunnel, have your 2 power supplies. One for half of the strings. You could wire directly up one of the arches and splice into the sections. Only one pair of wires coming off of each power supply (tie all the neutrals together) FPP has a Sunrise and Sunset schedule time, all you need is your Lat/Long and someway to keep time (a Pi by itself will gradually drift off time and without a RTC or Internet connection you will have to manually reset the clock)

jmilleville:
I was looking at running the Mean Well 12v 350W unless you can suggest a better alternative. 
I attached a .pdf of what I think your saying.  Is this correct?  I'm assuming I have to pull another 110V to circuit to handle the load of 4 Power Supplies?

jnealand:
Those power supplies do not draw as much AC power as you think.  I run 4 PS regularly from a 15a circuit and I think I have run as many as 6 at one time.  Do not confuse DC and AC power draw.  Pixels are DC.

Poporacer:
Yes that looks like what I was talking about. A couple things that I might do different. I would not alternate the data supplies, run the first half of the board for the first 7 or 8 strings, then the second half of the board for the rest. I would put both of the power supplies on the same side, one enclosure and a lot less wiring. The wiring could be routed up the arch and no one would see it. Like Jim mentioned, they don't use as much power as you think. I was concerned as they are rated at 7 amps each but I ran 4 power supplies off of one circuit last year and didn't have a problem. this year I plan on connecting an AmpProbe to get a real life reading.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version